News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 625     0 

Corktown District Phase 2 (Streetcar, 8s, Quadrangle)

It's even worse when you get up close and see all the chips and defects that still have not been repaired. Why is it taking so long to finish the details on all of their King Street buildings? (assuming they will indeed fix them)

What a waste of retail space. (for the residents of the building and the surrounding community)

It's less of a waste than the car dealerships with sprawling surface lots and a cheap low-rise building. This sort of car dealership is saving space with residences on top as opposed to nothing. However, my cynical side says that they also have a sprawling surface lot somewhere else. I hope Streetcar improves the quality of execution of their buildings because their development ideas like midrise buildings in up-and-coming areas are great and very much welcomed.

It's less of a waste than the car dealerships with sprawling surface lots and a cheap low-rise building. This sort of car dealership is saving space with residences on top as opposed to nothing. However, my cynical side says that they also have a sprawling surface lot somewhere else. I hope Streetcar improves the quality of execution of their buildings because their development ideas like midrise buildings in up-and-coming areas are great and very much welcomed.

Walking by today i noticed 1 row of greyish / black bricks laid out at the base of one of the columns facing King Street.
I assumed they were doing a test fit...

Project is 530 King St E

October 7 shots
6255912827_d70424e93a_b.jpg

6255913619_30e9c591e6_b.jpg

6255908101_8cf85e9a1b_b.jpg

6256434862_75c510a0f8_b.jpg

6255814131_f724c69f60_b.jpg

6256432964_be7636bfd9_b.jpg

It is interesting that this project is applying for variances at the Committee on Adjustment in mid-November. As the shell is just about built it seems to be doing so after the fact. See Agenda item 30 at http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_agenda_16nov11.pdf

510-530 KING ST E

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To modify the redevelopment plan for an eight-storey condominium building with retail at grade, approved
under Site Specific By-law 576-2009 by increasing the number of residential units, altering the parking
provisions and increasing the heights of the terraces.

Last edited:
Buildings of this scale are cool. I don't think we'll ever have that "Parisian" scale, where these buildings dominate the landscape and sit side by side with one another, but I would like to see their presence in every low-rise neighbourhood of ours. They could be like the new church towers, in how they stand out from their two storey neighbours everywhere you go.

Buildings of this scale are cool. I don't think we'll ever have that "Parisian" scale, where these buildings dominate the landscape and sit side by side with one another, but I would like to see their presence in every low-rise neighbourhood of ours. They could be like the new church towers, in how they stand out from their two storey neighbours everywhere you go.

I'm delighted to see that we have many midrise buildings under construction and proposed. I love the scale. It means density with fewer potential shadow, wind, and view concerns.

I'm delighted to see that we have many midrise buildings under construction and proposed. I love the scale. It means density with fewer potential shadow, wind, and view concerns.

Definitely. Mid-rises are quick and sweet- they don't take long to build and have an immediate improvement over any lower density that was previously there.

There's a reason why mid-rise streets are so vibrant as compared to streets lined with skyscrapers.

I think the people at Quadrangle are colour blind. The grey of the EIFS and pre-finished metal panels on the facade looks horrible with the black brick. Same with their Sixty Bathurst building - the poor colour choices destroyed an otherwise decent project.

I think the people at Quadrangle are colour blind. The grey of the EIFS and pre-finished metal panels on the facade looks horrible with the black brick. Same with their Sixty Bathurst building - the poor colour choices destroyed an otherwise decent project.

It's just a really bad looking building. It has an unfinished look to it (I know it's not completely finished) and that seems to be par for the course with Streetcar's other projects along King. The material they used to house the mechanical is atrocious. The grey window frames simply don't work with the black brick. I mean, would you really want to buy the Carlaw after seeing what Streetcar has to offer along King East?

Trinity Lofts looks like a winner, though.

I liked the other Corktown buildings by Streetcar, but this one looks clumsy and clunky to me.

Back