News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 446     0 

Corktown District Phase 2 (Streetcar, 8s, Quadrangle)

I liked the other Corktown buildings by Streetcar, but this one looks clumsy and clunky to me.

Really?

They all seem to look unfinished to me.

_X2C1198final_01.jpg

cork3.jpg

Corktown_District_Loft_Condominiums_52_Sumach_Street_Streetcar_Developments_Downtown_Toronto_Condos-1.jpg

Would you buy a $500K unit in one of these buildings?

If you take a closer look at the details, you'd see that these buildings are not in good shape. So much of it is chipped, discoloured and badly done. How does Streetcar get away with that? Aren't the condo owners complaining? I know I would be.

@ The King East:

I like the sort of rough, warehouse quality to them. I don't mind it on the other buildings, it's just the second phase that isn't working for me.

@ The King East:

I like the sort of rough, warehouse quality to them. I don't mind it on the other buildings, it's just the second phase that isn't working for me.

I don't mind that either. But I don't think that's the look they're going for. Have you looked at these things up close? Terrible.

Not trying to get you to change your opinion. I look at these buildings and see so much stuff that was left unattended to. Like loose bricks, cinder blocks showing...bad workmanship.

If you take a closer look at the details, you'd see that these buildings are not in good shape. So much of it is chipped, discoloured and badly done. How does Streetcar get away with that? Aren't the condo owners complaining? I know I would be.

Yes, all the Streetcar buildings are covered with little exterior 'imperfections" . As one assumes that there are similar things inside one does wonder why owners are not complaining and what the new Condo Boards will do about those in common elements. Based on what can be seen from the street I would be wary of buying at a Streetcar building - though most actually are fairly decent architecturally. Streetcar also seem to have a 'thing' about leasing retail space to car showrooms - from the one at Sumach & King they tend to park on sidewalks and are generally not a great asset to the building.

Those car dealerships totally destroy any chance to animate the street and the neighbourhood. It's clear Streetcar's only concern is with quick profits and not improving the community. I would think twice before allowing them to build anything in my community.

It's actually quite common to run into car dealerships in the ground floor units of buildings in Europe - I'm not sure why it's such a street-killing travesty here?

It's actually quite common to run into car dealerships in the ground floor units of buildings in Europe - I'm not sure why it's such a street-killing travesty here?
Good point but I would say that it is street-killing here because it seems to be happening in an area (King East from the Don to ??) that desperately needs "real" shops.

Those car dealerships totally destroy any chance to animate the street and the neighbourhood. It's clear Streetcar's only concern is with quick profits and not improving the community.

I don't understand the relationship between Streetcar and the dealerships -- can Streetcar actually do anything about them?

Permit application submitted;

TORONTO ON M5A 1M1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 211903 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 16, 2012

Project: Other Interior Alterations

Description: permit for interior alterations to create new car dealership in existing ground floor vacant commercial space - Nissan - West Side, ground floor

It seems like all the new retail spaces along King Street will be useless in animating the street, if Streetcar keeps putting car dealerships in them. What about some restaurants or cafes to enliven the street? If they keep doing this, they are basically destroying the street.

Better these dealerships than something more traditional with a stand alone surrounded by parking which is quite popular in the neighbourhood. These retail units aren't cheap to build or lease in these up and coming areas either. Holding out for the ideal tenant that may never arise will bankrupt even the largest retail investment groups.

The retail has saved this building IMO. Good mix of retail in the base of the building. Wish Nissan would leave, though.

Back