News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Condominium issues

We implemented electronic voting a few years back and it was a game-changed, no more begging for votes to meet quorum! A virtual AGM could certainly help with question period :)

We used e-proxies last AGM (from GetQuorum) and it worked VERY well about 90% of owners 'participated". . E-voting is usually a bit more expensive but normally also needs a specific by-law to allow it. (E-proxies do not need this).

Yes, we had the by-law :) It looks expensive, but it's less expensive than having to hold a second AGM because you don't get quorum the first go around. And it saves on mailing and printing costs.

Reactions: DSC
Hey guys, what about security? Did you take any steps to ensure safety? I'm looking at security systems, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Of course, it depends on neighbors, but do you have such in condos? Securing Home seems to be an optimal choice. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I work as a condo security guard and honestly condo security alarms that tie into an external monitoring station are the bane of our existence.

If we have an emergency in your condo we don't have the ability to stay out of your unit because you have a security alarm. That being said the stupid thing goes off, the monitoring station has no clue who we are and the police end up coming.

Do you really want to risk this?

They are great for houses but in condos they cause more problems than they solve.

I work as a condo security guard and honestly condo security alarms that tie into an external monitoring station are the bane of our existence.

If we have an emergency in your condo we don't have the ability to stay out of your unit because you have a security alarm. That being said the stupid thing goes off, the monitoring station has no clue who we are and the police end up coming.

Do you really want to risk this?

They are great for houses but in condos they cause more problems than they solve.
The posting you are replying to looks like spam to me! Though your comments about installing Unit alarms (of any kind) in condos is correct.

Should condo common area hallways be renovated in a 18 year old building with peeling wallpaper and worn carpet? Is it the board that decides?

That should be in the reserve fund plans. 18 years is a long time to go without that being done.

That should be in the reserve fund plans. 18 years is a long time to go without that being done.
Though I agree with @PinkLucy (as usual!), the Board is where the decision is made and even if the RFS says the halls should have been redecorated in 2015 that does not mean the Board has to do it in 2015. Boards need to look at projects and the $$ available; it can happen that some expensive project needed to be done ahead of the RFS's suggested date and there are thus currently no $$ available for redecoration (which, though certainly desirable after 18 years, is probably not essential.) A few years ago in my building, we actually brought the hallway redecoration forward by a few years as owners were complaining but the costs were more than we had $$ for at the time so we had a (small) special assessment to cover the balance. Owners were 'happy'' that the work was done and very pleased at the result and were not particularly upset about the small extra assessment that made it possible. Each building is different but if most owners in your building want the hallways redecorated they need to make sure the Board knows this. (i.e. bring it up at an AGM, talk to the Property Manager or Board, talk to your neighbours.)

Thanks for providing more details -- I was on my phone and hate typing out long answers on mobile :)

We were also able to bring our decoration plans forward thanks to some underspending in other areas.

Good reserve fund studies are so important -- there are always emergencies that crop up, but there should at least be a plan -- 18 years for hall decor seems like a long time without some significant other expenses taking away from it.

Wallpaper may seem trivial, but it impacts curb appeal and thus property values.

Reactions: DSC
Thanks for providing more details -- I was on my phone and hate typing out long answers on mobile :)

We were also able to bring our decoration plans forward thanks to some underspending in other areas.

Good reserve fund studies are so important -- there are always emergencies that crop up, but there should at least be a plan -- 18 years for hall decor seems like a long time without some significant other expenses taking away from it.

Wallpaper may seem trivial, but it impacts curb appeal and thus property values.
Though I agree with @PinkLucy (as usual!), the Board is where the decision is made and even if the RFS says the halls should have been redecorated in 2015 that does not mean the Board has to do it in 2015. Boards need to look at projects and the $$ available; it can happen that some expensive project needed to be done ahead of the RFS's suggested date and there are thus currently no $$ available for redecoration (which, though certainly desirable after 18 years, is probably not essential.) A few years ago in my building, we actually brought the hallway redecoration forward by a few years as owners were complaining but the costs were more than we had $$ for at the time so we had a (small) special assessment to cover the balance. Owners were 'happy'' that the work was done and very pleased at the result and were not particularly upset about the small extra assessment that made it possible. Each building is different but if most owners in your building want the hallways redecorated they need to make sure the Board knows this. (i.e. bring it up at an AGM, talk to the Property Manager or Board, talk to your neighbours.)
The building is showing its age. The largest investment I think they did was when they Kitec plumbing had to be replaced in all common areas (pool, change rooms, washrooms etc.) which was paid by the RFS. Though I do think a renovation should have happened a while ago we still have the same carpet, wallpaper in the corridors and the paint on doors hasn’t even been retouched. What is the average timeline of a common corridor renovation projects. Do you know any building that has done it?

We planned on renewal every 10 years. I lived in a building that did it ... I wasn’t on the board there. It was at around the 12 year mark.

We planned on renewal every 10 years. I lived in a building that did it ... I wasn’t on the board there. It was at around the 12 year mark.

Wow! As owners were you guys involved in the design process or was the renovations very basic (new carpet/wallpaper only) Will my tower is 16 years old and the other one is almost 18 years old. I live at Broadway Two in North York is there any forum for that building yet? Or any buildings in the NYCC bubbles?

The board hired a designer. They had three colour schemes which were posted in the lobby and we voted on our preference.

I just remembered that my daughter’s condo was also done at about then12 year mark but The decision process was just before she bought.

Back