News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 806     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

College Park 444 Yonge/33 College/777 Bay (renovations, Canderel, ground levels, WZMH)

It's truly a shame that the terrazzo floor won't be restored - I imagine it would had been pretty handsome back in those days (brass dividers that isn't common in most public terrazzo applications).

AoD

I was through there yesterday.

As previously noted, I didn't have much hope for a restoration attempt here; but the green spray paint directly on the terrazzo would suggest to me there is none now.

How unfortunate. There are a couple of slightly cleaner patches in good condition, and you can see the interest and character it would add if restored.

No pics, but I was by here on the weekend.

Food Court is fully re-opened, reno complete.

It's as ugly as sin and straight out of 1995.

They covered the nice terrazzo w/ugly grey flooring; put up a new, very plain drop ceiling, the central light feature (the one design element to speak of) is way too bright; and the food court furnishings are bolted down (no movable chairs) just like a 90's food court/fast food outlet.

No tenancy changes I could discern.

No pics, but I was by here on the weekend.

Food Court is fully re-opened, reno complete.

It's as ugly as sin and straight out of 1995.

They covered the nice terrazzo w/ugly grey flooring; put up a new, very plain drop ceiling, the central light feature (the one design element to speak of) is way too bright; and the food court furnishings are bolted down (no movable chairs) just like a 90's food court/fast food outlet.

No tenancy changes I could discern.

The worse is the "great hall" - ugly as sin new light fixtures; two-toned floor tiles with a pattern that bewilders, etc.

AoD

Something may be is up here....................

From the Lobbyist Registry:

1700689531126.png

1700689632876.png

This is not surprising as I assume that the Provincial courts on the upper floors have vacated and there is an opportunity to do a little rethink of everything.

The provincial public service may (I have no inside knowledge) also be vacating a lot of the office space in 777 Bay as there were plans to consolidate offices in the Macdonald Block Complex at Bay/Wellesley once those renovations are complete.

Last edited:
Just found out the TMU's English Language Institute is located here and wonder if there is going to be more of an academic presence in the future.

BlogTO; doing a fine job reading my posts, put in inquiries w/GWL.

In a statement provided to blogTO, a representative of GWL reassures the public, saying, "at this point, we do not have specific plans for our Canada Life building at 330 University Avenue." They confirmed that this statement would also apply to the College Park building 1 College Street.

Uh huh............. I'm not going to say they're lying..............

But the above, is not consistent with :

"It's not WZMH, just so everyone knows. Breathe easy on that front..." - Project End

And there's no question in my mind, I trust the above source more than GWL or BlogTO.

I think there's a movement afoot here to make TH more take out friendly. It's not the first store I've seen with significantly reduced seating...

Back