News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 405     0 

CityPlace: West One

For all the endless complaining about the 'ruined' part of the waterfront, this really is not so bad, no?

Not that I want to see too easy access to the Islands lest they become overrun, if we could get over there easily, then there would undoubtedly be restaurants with great views of the city over there. We'd learn to appreciate the waterfront differently if that view became a normal part of our experience of the city.

Since that's a rare view however, it behooves us to continue to improve the water's edge along the mainland side as that is our normal experience of the waterfront. It's happening slowly. It's all going to get better. Only alarmists are saying 'it's ruined'.

I agree, interchange.

Actually, I think that the single biggest problem with the waterfront is the sheer lack of restaurants. It's unbelievable that a city with a waterfront as big as ours has a number of waterfront restaurants that can be counted on one hand. Off the top of my head, there's that Italian place in the base of the Queens Quay condo fronting on that slip, the two places in Queens Quay Terminal, the Keating Channel Pub, and possibly the Boulevard Club.

Please forget Captain John's!

I actually like having Captain John's at the foot of Yonge. Maybe once the waterfront starts taking shape this tourist landmark will take on a new life. It could use a little TLC and and a new menu I hear.

517055097_47b37eeedf.jpg

Another shot from the Porter flight - it was rather smoggy last Thursday.

To me it looks more like a middle America industrial city- what with the smog and freeway cutting through the downtown. Not the most flattering angle of our fare metropolis.

What a small little town!

is that Cleveland? Or London Ontario? Never seen it before....

Well the photo does prove one thing: the current condo boom has barely put a dent on the parking lots and empty spaces around downtown.

Steven Harper: why not raise the yearly quota of immigrants to Canada (half settle in the gta) to 500,000+? We need millions more in Toronto to make this little squaresville come alive!

It's grubby, it's fugly, it's not really Toronto. What a relief that the annex is hidden from that view!

I agree, interchange.

Actually, I think that the single biggest problem with the waterfront is the sheer lack of restaurants. It's unbelievable that a city with a waterfront as big as ours has a number of waterfront restaurants that can be counted on one hand. Off the top of my head, there's that Italian place in the base of the Queens Quay condo fronting on that slip, the two places in Queens Quay Terminal, the Keating Channel Pub, and possibly the Boulevard Club.

It's funny what a difference that can make. For example, there is the Donauinsel in Vienna. True, the setup is a bit different with two 'crossable' banks, but the waterfront, in my mind, is nothing special. The surrounding architecture is generally bland, and the immediate park-like setting somewhat sparse and barren. And yet this is an oft-visited tourist spot.

The difference here is that Donauinsel actually has things for the tourists (and locals) to do. Open air restaurants & pubs, ethnic food, sports events on the river, even dance clubs (that might not fly so well here). Point is, it's a destination because the city has made it one. Donauinsel doesn't 'look' particularly amazing, but it doesn't really matter. There are things to do beside strolling, jogging, biking around.

That's true, ganja, but they might love it more if it were.

Exactly, salvius! I don't understand this obsession in North America that any public space is somehow a failure if it has any businesses... anything whatsoever other than grass and trees. Few people are going to go down to the water, especially in winter, if there's nothing to do other than stroll among trees. That's lovely, but hundreds and hundreds of acres of strolling space is pretty unnecessary.

Yes, it is. And Toronto isn't Manhattan where it's the only park of any size in the city and nobody has a yard.

bingo, it is always really busy there, especially in the summer...there is as much foot traffic on every path as queen street handles on the most busy days...workers go there to eat lunch.

Back