News   Jun 25, 2024
 855     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 806     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

City Workers Strike 2009

I think that the union members who live in condos (where the garbage is picked up by private contractors) or in the 905 (where the garbage is picked up by private contractors) will continue to hold out for more that what the city has to offer. It just depends on how many of the union members currently live in Toronto and get their garbage picked up by other union members.

Hmmm... For the very first time I saw a rat run across my lawn, in broad daylight.

This is probably just a coincidence, but I live around 1.5 km away from a temp dump site.

When it comes to public support the unions don't have any and they don't care. So public pressure on them really does not matter. They don't give a damn.
Cracks in union resolve as strike nears Week 4

520 workers decide to cross picket lines as others refuse to endorse `stupid' dump site wait times

Hmmm... For the very first time I saw a rat run across my lawn, in broad daylight.

This is probably just a coincidence, but I live around 1.5 km away from a temp dump site.

Or not... in the last three weeks I saw a rat three times early in the morning. And I'm nowhere near a dumpsite. We might be looking at a serious infestation if the piles of garbage don't get cleared away.

I'm really not sure the big deal. I'm yet to fill either the green bin, blue box, or grey bin on my porch (though there is now a stack of newspapers in the basement). The green bin and grey bin are getting full ... but I have a second green bin I'm about to break out, and the old garbage can can be pressed into action. And with a child, it's not like there is a lack of garbage being generated here! And I don't compost.

I really have to wonder what people are tossing away to create such big problems! (though I'm thankful we don't use paper diapers!).

On the bright side, the raccoons haven't been as near as annoying of late; they must have found better pickings.

^^^ We missed the last garbage pickup before the strike (as we were on vacation), and then we had a couple of parties. Lots of garbage (and yes we do compost).

Cracks in union resolve as strike nears Week 4

520 workers decide to cross picket lines as others refuse to endorse `stupid' dump site wait times

Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but I still don't see how the union can enforce (and police can allow) those 15 minute wait times if the city insists the public cannot be prevented from dropping off their garbage at official sites.

Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but I still don't see how the union can enforce (and police can allow) those 15 minute wait times if the city insists the public cannot be prevented from dropping off their garbage at official sites.
Neither can I ... there's long fences around the waste facilities. Surely if the line is long, you just go, and hurl it over the fence, and leave ... quite frankly, I'd just drop it at the feet of the protestors ...

... but I don't really anticipate having to have garbage overflowing until ... well probably the second week of September at this rate.

The bigger concern is snow removal (not sure why they didn't strike in the winter ... then they might get some reaction). How is the city going to cope with snow removal if the strike is still going come January?

The bigger concern is snow removal (not sure why they didn't strike in the winter ... then they might get some reaction). How is the city going to cope with snow removal if the strike is still going come January?

i think some snow removal is contracted out.

Neither can I ... there's long fences around the waste facilities. Surely if the line is long, you just go, and hurl it over the fence, and leave ... quite frankly, I'd just drop it at the feet of the protestors ...

... but I don't really anticipate having to have garbage overflowing until ... well probably the second week of September at this rate.

It would be interesting if that happened. The next mayor would have free reign to do some serious union-busting.

As it is, there are many in the city who would support that now.

Now, what I'd like to see happening is some Toronto Sun reader-type going to a dump site, asking "Is this a dump site", and then when they say yes, he shows the strikers what he thinks by pulling down his pants and taking a dump

Dropping it off near the protesters and hurling over the fence would speed things up for sure, but the managers filling in as a bylaw officers are out in full force video taping people doing such acts and handing out $380 illegal-dumping fines as well as the useless cops hanging around busting people for illegal dumping or what ever. All kinds of tax dollars being wasted! :mad:

Workers were out today cleaning the streets and bus shelters but they weren't touching the garbage cans.

garb1.jpg

garb2.jpg

A group of us at my building got together late this afternoon and cleaned up the area all around our building on all four sides. Everyone was enthusiastic, it took us about an hour and we all got to know some of our neighbours. We did something good and felt great about it, we're doing it again next weekend.

Now, what I'd like to see happening is some Toronto Sun reader-type going to a dump site, asking "Is this a dump site", and then when they say yes, he shows the strikers what he thinks by pulling down his pants and taking a dump
Do it. I know you want to, as you're the one who thought of it.

Tensions Rise

Not charging these guys with assault is not acceptable. The more I read about their aggressive tactics, the less sympathetic I become.

Tensions rise at temporary garbage dumps

Martin Mittelstaedt

Monday, Jul. 13, 2009

The long waits strikers are forcing people to endure at temporary dumpsites prompted Toronto criminal lawyer Peter Lindsay to do what many might consider, if told they would have to sit in their cars for hours before being allowed to drop off bags of their garbage.

Sunday morning, faced with the prospect of wasting three or four hours of his time when he had scheduled client meetings, he got out of his car and walked over to the dump, a fenced compound in Caledonia Park in the Lawrence Ave. West and Dufferin area, and placed his garbage inside. He toted in eight bags from his home and his law practice.

For his efforts, he said he was yelled at and eventually pushed around by two strikers. Police were called, and much to Mr. Lindsay's dismay, they declined to press charges against those he say accosted him. And to add to his feeling that justice sometimes works in strange ways, or doesn't work at all, police later called and told him, as the alleged victim, that he wouldn't be charged either.

The whole episode left him fuming.

“The message that gets out to ordinary members of the public is if you get assaulted by the strikers, don't waste your time seeking the police's help because the police will not help you,†he said.

The tension between the city and the Toronto's 24,000 striking municipal workers continues to mount: Sunday evening, the city announced it had taken its third legal action against the striking workers, with Ontario Superior Court granting a temporary injunction allowing the city to clear the garbage that has been illegally dumped outside the Ingram transfer station.

City workers had been preventing management from moving the garbage into the transfer station, but the management now has until 8 a.m. this morning to do so. The city has gone to the courts twice before: to ensure paramedics were at full strength staffing for the Pride Parade, and to continue the spraying of pesticides at the Christie Pitts dump site.

As the strike by the workers who are responsible for everything from trash collection to daycare centres enters its fourth week Monday the latest tactic by strikers to pressure the city to settle the dispute is to allow only one person every 15 minutes to drop off garbage at some of the temporary dump sites.

At the Caledonia dump, that meant a wait of about six hours for those at the end of the 26- car lineup yesterday afternoon.

The union says it hasn't issued a formal order to picketers to impose a 15-minute wait at all the temporary dump sites.

“There is no standard protocol out there at this point in time,†said Mark Ferguson, president of CUPE local 416, one of the two city locals on strike. “They may be at 15 minutes at some locations. They may be significantly less at others.â€

He said anyone annoyed at the length of the waits should complain to their politicians. “I would suggest that those residents contact city hall and ask that their city councillors end the strike,†he said.

A police spokesman said charges weren't laid in the incident with Mr. Lindsay because of a lack of witnesses, other than the participants. “We make arrests at strikes all the time,†said Staff Sergeant Steve Tutchener of the Toronto police's 32 division, where the Caledonia dump is located.

“The officers there examined the evidence. If they don't think they have enough evidence†they don't lay charges, he said.

Mr. Lindsay said he was surprised the police made their decision to do nothing without taking a witness statement from him. He also photographed the two strikers he claims pushed him around, to help police identify them. While the police were at the site, the strikers decided to shut down all entry to the dump, claiming they had to do so because a police investigation was under way, according to Mr. Lindsay.

“Regardless of what view anyone takes of the strike and who is right and who is wrong, it seems to me that these guys are out of control,†Mr. Lindsay said of the picketers.

City spokesman Kevin Sack said he thinks the tactic of forcing people into long delays at the dumps is counterproductive.

“There is no reason in the world why picketers should want to unnecessarily delay residents. For our part, it's not appropriate and doesn't make sense,†he said.

On the strike, he said negotiations between the unions and the city are continuing, but he declined to characterize whether progress is being made.

Mr. Ferguson said a series of proposals and counterproposals have been made by the two sides over the weekend. But he said talks remain deadlocked, with the union viewing the city as taking positions that will make a settlement more difficult. “We would suggest that the city has actually taken steps backwards,†he said.

Meanwhile, Mr. Sack said the number of city employees applying to return to their jobs continues to increase, although it remains only small percentage of the work force. The most recent figure is 520, or 2 per cent of employees, about double the number at the end of June.

The city has accepted most of those who wish to return, but isn't able to accommodate some because their workplaces are shut and no alternative work exists, according to Mr. Sack.

Mr. Sack said the city estimates it still has plenty of capacity at its temporary dumps, which range from 30 per cent to 50 per cent full. He said many residents are adhering to the city's request that they keep garbage at their homes for as long as possible.

At the line up outside Caledonia Park, Mario Fazari, said he had been waiting “a couple of hours†to drop off half a bag of garbage that had become too smelly to keep in the house. He said allowing one car in every 15 minutes was “terrible.â€

“I hope they get together and solve this problem,†he said.

With a report from Jennifer Lewington

Source

Back