News   Jun 25, 2024
 935     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 846     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

City Workers Strike 2009

I'm sitting here with a bunch of people from other unions. It's interesting to hear that none of them have any sympathy for the garbage workers. The biggest stickler not surprisingly are the bankable sick days.

I get 17K net per year, what am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure what that calculator's showing, but no one making $34,000 a year is paying over half of it in taxes. The highest tax bracket (for income earned over about $125,000) is 46.4% in Ontario. This website shows that someone earning $34,000 in Ontario will net just over $27,000 (as was mentioned earlier).

I get 17K net per year, what am I doing wrong?

The calculator works per period. So you're calculating what someone would get if he made $34,000 every other week. Now that's a nice salary!

34,000/26 = 1307.69. Use that amount and then multiply your answer by 26.

Last edited:
The calculator works per period. So you're calculating what someone would get if he made $34,000 every other week. Now that's a nice salary!

WHAT ??!!?? you mean you're not making $1,000,000 per year ???

how do you live .... think of the children ?!?!? (in your best Mrs. Lovejoy voice) :rolleyes:

Family blames city workers' strike for death
Say ambulance took too long to respond
July 14, 2009
Vanessa Lu
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Jim Hearst's loved ones blame the city workers' strike for his death by an apparent heart attack, saying an ambulance did not come to his aid for at least 30 minutes despite three 911 calls.

The city says ambulance response times for high-priority urgent calls have not been affected by the walkout, even though under an essential services agreement the service is running at 75 per cent staffing... continued...

i don't understand, they say they can maintain service at 75% staffing level. if that were true, wouldn't 25% of their employees working on any given shift in usual non-strike times be unnecessary?

i don't understand, they say they can maintain service at 75% staffing level. if that were true, wouldn't 25% of their employees working on any given shift in usual non-strike times be unnecessary?
I heard on the radio that management is covering some.

P.S. That was quite the May/December relationship.

How does one live in this city on $34K gross a year? Take off approx. 28% for Fed. tax/CPP & EI = $25K
EI and CP are about $2,100 or so at that salary. I haven't run 100%, but I'm getting about $4,700 of tax for someone earning $34,000 with no dependants. That leaves $27.2K ... 20%, not 28%. (and that doesn't account for much in the way of deductions; presumably they would be getting about $200 a year for transit pass tax credit, and GST tax credit).

Oh, looks like I'm late to the party ... others have similiar numbers ...

I was recently renting a half-decent 3-bedroom house (basement was rented to someone else) for $1,350. I'm sure $500 is possible for shared accomodation. No car. Cable is certainly a luxury. $34K is certainly a living wage.

But is it what you should be paying someone for decades, for a career?

I really don't have any problems with the City's wages (and less problem than the wages of outfits like Wally World).

Last edited:
EI and CP are about $2,100 or so at that salary. I haven't run 100%, but I'm getting about $4,700 of tax for someone earning $34,000 with no dependants. That leaves $27.2K ... 20%, not 28%. (and that doesn't account for much in the way of deductions; presumably they would be getting about $200 a year for transit pass tax credit, and GST tax credit).

Oh, looks like I'm late to the party ... others have similiar numbers ...

I was recently renting a half-decent 3-bedroom house (basement was rented to someone else) for $1,350. I'm sure $500 is possible for shared accomodation. No car. Cable is certainly a luxury. $34K is certainly a living wage.

But is it what you should be paying someone for decades, for a career?

I really don't have any problems with the City's wages (and less problem than the wages of outfits like Wally World).

So that's kind of close ($2K off) to what I originally had a page or two back, that makes sense.

How does one live in this city on $34K gross a year? Take off approx. 28% for Fed. tax/CPP & EI = $25K. Factor in rent, hydro, phone, cable, insurance and that doesn't leave an awful lot to live on.

I used to do manual payroll for years, the old "one-write" system before it was done using payroll software so I knew that over 50% in deductions on $34K wasn't correct.

So this goes back to $34K being a livable wage in Toronto. One seems to squeak by on that amount or share accommodations (not necessarily a bad thing if your the type of person who can do that). As nfitz states, it's not exactly a great career salary.

More important that what they get paid is that they are only half as productive. The private sector contractors can do it with half the manpower. If you held salary cost constant, you could pay each garbage worker double: the princely sum of $100,000 per year plus benefits. At least, that's what it costs the city to run this service. Does that make sense to you, dt?

If 34k a year is a living wage, then that's exactly what the private sector trash collectors are making. And as has been repeatedly pointed out they do twice the work. My problem with their pay has more to do with their productivity. If they are doing half the work, I want them paid half as much. Even the sick days would not be an issue if they had job performance on par with the private sector.

More important that what they get paid is that they are only half as productive. The private sector contractors can do it with half the manpower. If you held salary cost constant, you could pay each garbage worker double: the princely sum of $100,000 per year plus benefits. At least, that's what it costs the city to run this service. Does that make sense to you, dt?

Why are you singling me out on an unrelated issue? It's fine if you don't agree with what I have written above, but let's debate that and not toss a zinger like that out to me.

To refresh your memory re: article "Private or public? Guess the winner" (thread #216), I responded on July 6th:

If the City of Toronto could manage to come close to the Etobicoke model but the workers still get a fair working wage and decent benefits, I'd be all for it.

By the Etobicoke model, that's contracting garbage services out. We're not talking about employees at City run daycare centres, EMS employees etc.
Does that makes sense to you?

Whose side is Miller on anyway?
If he's pissed off both the residents, and the Union - then he's doing his job, and is down the middle.

If the city makes it incredibly easy to take the trash to the dump, they'll have a lot more to deal with.

And if they end up with a huge battle with the union about this; they will simply deflect away from the issues that need resolving.

It's not a big issue.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090713/toronto_strike_090713/20090713?hub=Toronto

I hate to say it but Lastman is right. Why isn't Miller sticking up for the residents of this city and insisting that the union not detain those dropping off garbage for 15 mins? If this keeps up, illegal dumping will increase exponentially as frustrated residents decide that it's not worth their time to follow the law. Whose side is Miller on anyway?

i wonder if a private member's injunction could be submitted, and charges/arrests laid against the individual members and the union PER delay?
also, could illegal confinement charges be laid too?

it seems like those are the only tactics that seem to be noticed.

1 minute vs. 15 minutes is substantial ...

Last edited:
Anyone go to the Comissioner St or main/gerrard temp dumps? Are there big waits? They close at 7pm and I can get to either dump around 6:30. If there are holdups, I obviously cannot make it in time, but are either of those dumps moving smoothly where I can just dump and go?

Back