News   Jul 25, 2024
 221     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 761     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

Oh and in reference to an earlier post. City TV was not allowed to show any live olympic coverage including the winning goal until 24 hours after the game had ended due to to embargo rules.

I think the comment was in reference to the huge celebration happening outside their studios in the square. Surely any embargo would not have stopped them from airing those scenes, as it would not be considered 'Olympic coverage'. They had an amazing vantage point from which to capture that moment and missed doing it live.

Some progress here with the ticker. I foolishly thought it would be about double the size (height), I don't know how much impact this is going to have from mid-square let alone from Yonge Street

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Some progress here with the ticker. I foolishly thought it would be about double the size (height), I don't know how much impact this is going to have from mid-square let alone from Yonge Street

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

That ticker is way too small. How much more expensive would it have been to fill in that whole gap and wrap it around the concrete tower? Rogers makes BILLIONS in profits, they can't afford it? Something has got to be done to cover that cement tower, it's ugly. The advertising on it, is so lame. What a wasted opprotunity to do something creative and original. This is TORONTO, THE CREATIVE CITY, for god's sake!!!!!!!

Am I the only one who realizes that a wider ticker would mean that it wouldn't be aligned with the rounded edge where it will wrap around? The bottom of the round torch podium aligns with where the bottom of the ticker goes now. The ticker is as tall as it can go without being on top of the glass railings. With all the complaints about the aesthetics of this building, if they'd put up a wider ticker, everybody would be complaining how it doesn't align with the torch's podium.

With the items that they've refurbished so far, they've made all the right choices. It's what has been left untouched that looks like crap. They're slowly but surely improving this building and I trust that when they eventually do finish, it'll be a much better than the piece of crap Olympic Spirit Centre that they took over.

In my opinion, a few extra stages of work and this will actually be an appropriate building for the square:

- Add the ticker and have it wrap around the building.
- Redo the corner glass wall on the top floor to match its counterpart at street level with black glass.
- Continue the false wall at the very top around the corner to corral the HVAC units and hide them from view.
- Redo the base of the torch tower with matching cladding throughout, but different than the cladding on the main building to set it apart as its own element.
- Either replace the torch with a dynamic advertising medium like the original plan or paint it black or red and light it up at night.

When the above steps are complete, the building will be less grey, more colourful and more dynamic with motion provided by the electronic signage.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who realizes that a wider ticker would mean that it wouldn't be aligned with the rounded edge where it will wrap around? The bottom of the round torch podium aligns with where the bottom of the ticker goes now. The ticker is as tall as it can go without being on top of the glass railings. With all the complaints about the aesthetics of this building, if they'd put up a wider ticker, everybody would be complaining how it doesn't align with the torch's podium.

With the items that they've refurbished so far, they've made all the right choices. It's what has been left untouched that looks like crap. They're slowly but surely improving this building and I trust that when they eventually do finish, it'll be a much better than the piece of crap Olympic Spirit Centre that they took over.

In my opinion, a few extra stages of work and this will actually be an appropriate building for the square:

- Add the ticker and have it wrap around the building.
- Redo the corner glass wall on the top floor to match its counterpart at street level with black glass.
- Continue the false wall at the very top around the corner to corral the HVAC units and hide them from view.
- Redo the base of the torch tower with matching cladding throughout, but different than the cladding on the main building to set it apart as its own element.
- Either replace the torch with a dynamic advertising medium like the original plan or paint it black or red and light it up at night.

When the above steps are complete, the building will be less grey, more colourful and more dynamic with motion provided by the electronic signage.

Hmm...still won't be able to see most of it [the building] with the YD-Square stage and canopy

Thanks for the update Cal.

That actually looks quite good. It goes a long way to cutting the monotony of grey along the main façade and covers up the glaring concrete of the torch podium. The top of the podium can now be easily covered up with some cladding above the ticker.

The biggest visual offender is the incoherent mishmash of cladding and shapes along the entire round base of the torch tower. It needs to be unified with maybe all black glass or another form of consistent cladding colour and material.

The bottom of the building is fine, in my opinion.

Above the ticker is where the building becomes a disaster.

I think the ticker should run a loop of an apology for everything above it.

Back