News   Jul 03, 2024
 194     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1K     0 

City Removing Garbage Bins Downtown

Kitsune

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone know the logic behind this? Almost every garbage bin on QQ and other parts of downtown are gone.

Anyone know the logic behind this? Almost every garbage bin on QQ and other parts of downtown are gone.

The old rectangular bins are being removed so that they can install the new "sleek" ones with the foot pedals. (Yes, I know some people don't like them but I think they are actually quite good!)

The old rectangular bins are being removed so that they can install the new "sleek" ones with the foot pedals. (Yes, I know some people don't like them but I think they are actually quite good!)

They may look good but functionally they are badly designed, especially for our climate. I've seen a good few that have broken foot pedals already.
Wait until the first really BIG snowfall, throw in a bit of freezing rain for extra clogginess and the pedal will be rendered useless. Oh, and the openings are so small you can barely squeeze anything bigger than a small coffee cup through them.
Just sayin' :D

Are these the new ones from Astral Media?

3383036995_4570189bfb.jpg

this is a pic i found online, this is what they look like from the side

just found a better image below

20090407-new-garbage-bin.jpg

They may look good but functionally they are badly designed, especially for our climate. I've seen a good few that have broken foot pedals already.
Wait until the first really BIG snowfall, throw in a bit of freezing rain for extra clogginess and the pedal will be rendered useless. Oh, and the openings are so small you can barely squeeze anything bigger than a small coffee cup through them.
Just sayin' :D

Perhaps a designed deterrent for people who throw their household garbage in street bins? Yes, I've seen this.

I passed a flat bed truck with about 20 new garbage cans on it on Bay Street this morning just north of King. It looked like the work crew had already replaced all the bins on Bay south of that point. By the end of today all of Bay Street will probably be done.

The contract for the old EcoMedia silver bins with advertisements expired in October 2009 and were to be removed by the end of 2009 (though I still see many around Yonge/Eglinton and I'm sure other areas as well).

As mentioned by others, Astral Media is in the process of installing the new ad-less bins.

Perhaps a designed deterrent for people who throw their household garbage in street bins? Yes, I've seen this.

I'm aware of this issue but unfortunately those who have the mentality to do this will find somewhere else to dump their household garbage (like on the sidewalk right next to the street bin or wherever else proves to be convenient for them).
I would rather encourage use of a street bin by making them easily accessible, even if that does mean the possibility of a handful of morons abusing public receptacles.

Back