News   Jul 22, 2024
 588     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 628     0 

City Removing Garbage Bins Downtown

It's been about five or six weeks since the old garbage bins were removed from my nabe. So far only 1 for about every 7 bins have been replaced, many with smaller mini bins with only two flaps instead of three.

I completely understand why there is a photo of someone measuring the distance to curb. Many of these have been placed what feels like the middle of the sidewalk so it completely messes up two way foot traffic. There's one on King West at around Brant that I can think of that is a good example of this. Have these simply been put like this by careless installers, or did it stem from some sort of need (mechanical, how they empty, hot they're installed, etc.)?

My theory is that they did this so they don't get covered in snowbanks if the weather gets out of hand...which is ridiculous. Making them very ugly, awkward and inconvenient 300 days of the year just so they'll be helpful for the other 65 is just senseless.

They are awkward and ugly no matter where they're placed; however I know what you mean.

The only thing they had going for them is the foot pedal, and even that was screwed up. I'm no weak sissy, yet I have to use a lot of force just to operate the stupid things. I had to step in (ha...ha) and help some poor girl having trouble putting enough pressure to open the flaps. Apart from all that though they are atrocious from a design and material standpoint. Can somebody say Fisher Price 'My First Street Furniture' from a design standpoint?

i'm not sure what the logic or the cost of these new bins to the city are?

Wheren't the old ones perfectly fine?

yes, the new ones are TINY.

does this mean they will have to be emptied more oftern? (i guess more union hours)
cost more to maintain?
what about the lost revenue from advertising?

My understanding of the program is that the City doesn't pay for the street furniture. Astral Media pays for it through the ad revenue generated off the transit shelters and Info Pillar things. The City also receives a share of that revenue to fund other programs.

I may be incorrect, but I believe the City didn't receive any of the ad revenue from the now disappearing EcoMedia bins. Therefore, the City isn't losing any ad revenue.

For sure, the new bins are smaller, but wasn't the common compliant about the old ones that they were so huge? The mega bins?

For those who like to read, the City's website about the program has numerous reports, design guidelines, placement guidelines and other documents.

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/streetfurniture/index.htm

Back