News   Jul 04, 2024
 916     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 735     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 617     1 

City councillors wants to ban shark fin soup

When I was a little kid, there were just over three billion people. Back then, doom was to occur at five billion. It never happened. Today, people project doom at nine billion. We'll have to wait and see. When it comes to threats of species extinction, environmental groups often state numbers ranging in tens to hundreds disappearing every week due to human activities. Not one species is ever named. It seems no one can even cite one specific extinction once a week that can be attributed to human activity. That's not to say that there are not poor or damaging environmental practices. There certainly are, but the associated doom-saying is so prolific these days that it can tend to border on silliness.

Good idea, let's sit on our ass and just wait and see. Let's discuss again in five years.

Just how common/popular is eating shark fins anyway? In a city like Toronto it's probably marginal.
It does seem like a ridiculous thing to eat, based on one nutrition or taste, but on some quasi mysticism. Same goes for bear gal bladders and rhino horn - what is it with these cultures that in the 21st century they still somehow believe that eating horns, bladders and fins will somehow make you healthier or more potent?

Of course one could argue that the whole loco'vore and organic foods market is equally based on myth and shamanism, but at least this food trend isn't causing such destruction.

It does seem like a ridiculous thing to eat, based on one nutrition or taste, but on some quasi mysticism. Same goes for bear gal bladders and rhino horn - what is it with these cultures that in the 21st century they still somehow believe that eating horns, bladders and fins will somehow make you healthier or more potent?

Of course one could argue that the whole loco'vore and organic foods market is equally based on myth and shamanism, but at least this food trend isn't causing such destruction.

One could say the same thing about us: Caviar, Salmon, Veal, Baby Lamb chops. Have you seen how they produce beef and pork? The amount of chemicals and antibiotics that is used?

Last edited:
It does seem like a ridiculous thing to eat, based on one nutrition or taste, but on some quasi mysticism.
Not sure about mysticism, but as I said before, I had it once in China and it was absolutely delicious. OTOH, I had it a couple times in Chinatown and it was terrible.

It was like the difference of getting a steak at a high end steakhouse with a great aged cut of beef, vs. getting the rubbery piece of beef from the local greasy spoon.

There's certainly nothing mythical about polyculture and biodiversity (I guess that's not necessarily synonymous with organic or local, unless the latter was also meant as a proxy for "sustainable")

Not sure about mysticism, but as I said before, I had it once in China and it was absolutely delicious. OTOH, I had it a couple times in Chinatown and it was terrible.

It was like the difference of getting a steak at a high end steakhouse with a great aged cut of beef, vs. getting the rubbery piece of beef from the local greasy spoon.

My partner, who was from Hong Kong, cooked shark fin soup once and it was delicious - so it all depends on how good the cook is. He also cooked frogs legs ( steamed on rice ... ) and the live frogs he bought in Chinatown and killed himself made a far tastier meal than the frozen he bought - so it depends on the freshness of the ingredients as well.

Good idea, let's sit on our ass and just wait and see. Let's discuss again in five years.

Ah, I see. The way to proceed is by way of the misinformed pessimism that is notable in your earlier posts. So yeah, let's discuss it in five years. I can already tell you who will be having a better time in those intervening years.

One could say the same thing about us: Caviar, Salmon, Veal, Baby Lamb chops. Have you seen how they produce beef and pork? The amount of chemicals and antibiotics that is used?

Agri-farming/frankenfood is all bad. Do people still eat veal and baby lamb? When I became aware of depleting fish stocks I began to ask where fish is from before I buy it as recommended by SeaChoice, but most service people are not informed. Fish farming is more sustainable, ideally that's where I'd get all my fish.

Ah, I see. The way to proceed is by way of the misinformed pessimism that is notable in your earlier posts. So yeah, let's discuss it in five years. I can already tell you who will be having a better time in those intervening years.

Misinformed, I like to think I'm not as I read a considerable amount from many sources on what is happening to our planet. Pessimistic, I'm afraid I am.

Last edited:
There's certainly nothing mythical about polyculture and biodiversity (I guess that's not necessarily synonymous with organic or local, unless the latter was also meant as a proxy for "sustainable")
As a former marketing manager for a big Canadian food company I can assure you that the entire organic and local movement has been co-opted by the big players to a meaningless, mythical shell of any original ideal of goodness or morality-based consumption.

Misinformed, I like to think I'm not as I read a considerable amount from many sources on what is happening to our planet. Pessimistic, I'm afraid I am.

Count me this camp as well. I look around, read the reports and I know the future isn't rosy. I said it before and I'll say it again. Overpopulation and declining resources is going to produce a dark future that's unfolding already. As a species, we were too successful and thought ourselves outside the laws of nature..... Now we've hit the wall and we're going over the cliff.

Last edited:
As a species, we were too successful and thought ourselves outside the laws of nature..... Now we've hit the wall and we're going over the cliff.
Rubbish. Humans have always adapted, and will continue to do so. Nature never gets in our way for long. If we can't grow existing crops in the chosen climates, we genetically create crops that will - same as we did in the 1700s when the European colonists built hybrid seeds to survive the Canadian winter. And don't forget, with climate change there will be winners as well as losers, and IMO Canada will see benefits of a warming planet - yes we'll see troubles too, but we'll adapt and seize the opportunities. So, I'm not so pessemistic about the future as you appear to be.

As for this topic, I'll say it again, nothing, absolutely nothing will stop the Chinese from eating every shark fin in the sea unless they choose to stop consuming it. Same goes for rhino horn and bear gall bladders, the Chinese want them, and pay big money for them, so there is a market for them, regardless of any attempts (if any) to stop the trade.

However, since the collection of shark fin is often wasteful and inhumane (insharkane?) then I'm fine with a ban, but I don't think it should be a city-based ban. These things should be federal, not up to a bunch of city councillors IMO. Yeah, these things need to start somewhere, but nonetheless I am uncomfortable with having city council doing this sort of stuff. Furthermore, it seems to be an extremely selective proposed ban, leaving stuff like fois gras on the menu.
The city agrees with me. It's a federal matter, not a matter for city council.

Banning the Possession, Sale, and Consumption of Shark Fin Products in Toronto

This report is in response to the request from the Licensing and Standards Committee and City Council to have the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards report on a by-law that would prohibit the possession, sale and consumption of shark fin products in Toronto. This report outlines the feasibility of introducing such a ban.

Municipal Licensing and Standards staff have analysed the jurisdictional authorities and enforcement practices of a number of municipal, provincial and federal bodies in North America. Staff have also reviewed national and international data on shark fishing as well as reports on recent trends in the shark population.

Although staff have identified clear concerns with the shark-fin industry, no clear municipal purpose –mainly health and safety, consumer protection, or nuisance control– exists. The matter is one that clearly and more properly rests with more senior levels of government. In addition, there are certain enforcement implications that would impede effective enforcement of the by-law, thus creating serious limitations in any municipally enacted legislation. This has been the experience in most of other jurisdictions in North America that have passed such a ban at provincial, state, and municipal levels. This reinforces the conclusion that the regulation of shark fins is within the jurisdictional mandate of the Federal Government; not within the authority of municipalities.

Recognising the global environmental importance of the matter, however, staff recommend that City Council request the Federal Government to ban the importation of shark fin, cartilage and all other derivative products to Canada and to actively protect shark populations in Canadian waters.

The City Solicitor was consulted in preparation of this report and concurs with its recommendations.

Don't get the obsessions over these high-profile but ultimately low-impact green issues. Like, if you want to ban shark-fin, shouldn't one be banning tuna first? There are so many better ways to reduce one's impact on the environment at the municipal level - this isn't one of them.

AoD

Don't get the obsessions over these high-profile but ultimately low-impact green issues. Like, if you want to ban shark-fin, shouldn't one be banning tuna first? There are so many better ways to reduce one's impact on the environment at the municipal level - this isn't one of them.

AoD

wow.. do we actually agree on one issue!!!

Back