News   Jul 25, 2024
 703     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 649     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 497     0 

City councillors wants to ban shark fin soup

I think of banning the sale of shark fin at the Municipal level as a "start" to creating awareness and discussion. Yes, it definitely needs to be a Federal issue but if several large cities ban the sale of said item, hopefully this moves the issue up the ladder to the Federal level.

I think of banning the sale of shark fin at the Municipal level as a "start" to creating awareness and discussion. Yes, it definitely needs to be a Federal issue but if several large cities ban the sale of said item, hopefully this moves the issue up the ladder to the Federal level.
Well, I think the city has made the right decision. I hate it when some random councillor picks up some pet project that isn't at all under his/her jurisdiction and s/he tries to trample on the territory of the real scientists and regulators, based on ill-informed popular media. That's pretty much what happened with the shark fin issue. It was almost as bad as the dihydrogen monoxide fiasco.

From all I've read and seen through docs. & such the world-wide shark population is in real trouble and 10 million or so sharks being pulled from the ocean this year - and it's dramatically increasing each year, simply isn't sustainable. This isn't popular media going after the eco project of the month here. No sharks, no us.

I don't see why not eating shark fin soup is an issue. However, if it's banned, it should be provincial or national wide. Banning in certain cities seem so unfair.

I agree that shark fin soup tastes good. However, I prefer fake shark fin soup more (made with transparent noodle). Fish maw with crab soup is even better. There's lots of good alternatives out there.

I don't see why not eating shark fin soup is an issue. However, if it's banned, it should be provincial or national wide. Banning in certain cities seem so unfair.
There seems to be real momentum with the shark fin issue now in Canada, the US and Europe. I believe that it's only a matter of a few years and sharks will once again have a fighting chance once many countries move to ban this product.

I dont think slaughtering dogs for food is legal; and while i find durian revolting, is it really any more aromatic than Roquefort, which is yummy?

AoD

I dont think slaughtering dogs for food is legal; and while i find durian revolting, is it really any more aromatic than Roquefort, which is yummy?
Durian here never seems to smell as bad as it did in the markets in South Asia when I was a teenager. Is it a different variety ... or does it not smell the same when it's not fresh?

Why not ban durian altogether? They smell pretty bad upon close range.
Hey I just might support that. I really really hate the smell of durian. ;)

BTW, a lot of people use the argument of taste. Good shark fin soup (which is sometimes hard to find I suppose) is delicious. Durian OTOH takes like puke IMO. :p

I dont think slaughtering dogs for food is legal
Actually it's perfectly legal. There is no specific law against it. It has to be inspected, although it's probably going to hard to find a place that raises them for food in Canada and gets them inspected. Nonetheless, if some entrepreneur were to chance the court of public opinion and start a dog farm for food and were able to a hire an inspector to inspect the slaughters, it'd be legally OK.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2003/11/07/dog_meat031107.html

Some other people also assume slaughtering horses for food in Canada is illegal, but it's actually fairly common. Much of the meat is exported, but you can get it in Quebec. I'm told it's also available in Toronto, but I've never actually personally seen it in Toronto. Not that I've actually looked for it though. However, I've seen it in Montreal just in a regular grocery store.

Durian here never seems to smell as bad as it did in the markets in South Asia when I was a teenager. Is it a different variety ... or does it not smell the same when it's not fresh?
I've only seen it frozen in Chinatown, and it still stinks, albeit much less than the fresh one I smelled in Asia.

Last edited:
Toronto Council votes at 4:45pm to ban the sale and consumption of shark fin products in the city of Toronto, with amendments. Well done!

Back