News   Jul 25, 2024
 797     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 694     0 

City Chops Down "Model" Natural Garden

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Chopping down the plants seems like a real shame, but I definitely see a problem with the raccoon... Was she hoping it would eventually turn into fertilizer?

Putting metal to the petal

City hacks down `natural' garden after neighbours complain it's nothing but weeds, and a dead raccoon

Aug 28, 2007 04:30 AM
Iain Marlow
Staff Reporter

Six days after Deborah Dale gave a city-sponsored seminar on growing natural gardens filled with native species, the garden that is her front lawn in Scarborough was razed – clipped to the stem by the city after neighbours complained the plants were weeds.

Dale, a biologist and past-president of the North American Native Plant Society, spent 12 years nurturing the garden. It contained about 200 species of plants.

"When my mom was dying, this was where I came to take my mind off things," she said yesterday. "Just because a plant isn't familiar to you doesn't mean it's a weed. Most people don't know what a native species looks like."

Her Crittenden Sq. garden featured, among other things, two eight-year-old fragrant sumacs, some giant purple hyssops, and four varieties of milkweed plants, in which monarch butterflies had already laid eggs.

All told, her lawyer's letter to the city said, they clipped a total of about $10,000 in plants, for which she wants compensation.

Of course, to some of her neighbours, the garden was an overgrown mess of weeds – with the crown jewel of a dead raccoon.

"It's like a forest," said one who, like all others who found problems with the garden, refused to identify himself. "There's so many raccoons because of this house."

Another woman, amazed, asked: "That's a garden?"

One neighbour said she smelled dead raccoon whenever she opened her kitchen window. Outside, next to her house and on Dale's property, two men pointed to a small tuft of fur edged with yellow leaves.

"It smells. Oh my God," said a young girl.

Dale, though, said she has a problem with her hip and the raccoon was inaccessible. She said it was planted there by neighbours.

The garden's destruction likely occurred as a result of communication breakdowns between Dale and the city. Bill Blakes, a manager in the city's licensing department, said the proper warnings were filed.

Dale insisted the city ignored attempts to prove her garden was not weeds.

Blakes said his office has records only of complaints against Dale's property – overhanging branches, waste, long grass and weeds.

Regardless, the disagreement certainly occurred over a misunderstanding on the concept of a garden.

Other lawns in the neighbourhood, like Wajid Alli's, are normal. He moved there in 1990 and said he gets along with Dale just fine.

"I am in this yard all the time. I play with my grandchildren here, right here in the yard. And I play cricket here," he said, adding that chasing balls into her yard doesn't bother him, since he was used to chasing them in the bushes of Guyana.

No one is more sympathetic to Dale's loss, however, than Douglas Counter, who took his right to unconventional gardens all the way to Ontario's Superior Court, and won.

His was a pesticide-free, storm water filtering garden of hummingbird-sized moths. Adjoining the Etobicoke house he has lived in all his life, it attracted more than just moths, he added.

"My father, who was 75 at the time, had never seen fireflies in the city."

clipped to the stem by the city after neighbours complained the plants were weeds.

The sheer level of "duh" in this sentence has provided me with a laugh all afternoon. "The plants are weeds" the deeply concerned neighbours cry out!

And yet no one is around to yell back: "Weeds are plants. Grass is a weed. They're the same thing!"

Once again, reality has invaded perceptions, disturbing expectations of a natural world populated by Bambi, fragrant rows of flowers and cuddly animals that never die.

Bring out the mower and rewrite the script. The suburbs are no place for nature.

it's amazing how the city will be right there to "clean" private property but in alot of cases, totally ignore its own property.

I'm familiar with the neighbourhood Crittenden is in and every other lawn in the area is composed of dead grass and dandelions.

There's been a lot of dead grass around this summer. Maybe a natural garden would survive the kind of lack of rain we've had this summer better.

[
it's amazing how the city will be right there to "clean" private property but in alot of cases, totally ignore its own property

how do you know its private property? I don't know Scarborough too well but the city has ownership rights to at least half of people's front yards (50 feet from the street's centreline?) in my neighbourhood and just about every other neighbourhood in the former city (why they don't charge for pruning or tree removal on this property )

Everything we plant in our gardens is natural, otherwise it would be dead. I can't stand the hairy-legged earth mother folks that feel that for a garden to be natural it must be unkept and untidy. You can have a beautiful garden of plants indigenious to Ontario and still have it look appealing to your community.
Yes, one could argue that what the community thinks of your garden is none of your concern, but then you run the risk of their ire and will suffer the consequences of the city's pruning police.

Just come by Cabbagetown and see the wonderful gardens we've got, all with natural plants (as opposed to plastic?) that over winter nicely and come back year after year.

Just come by Cabbagetown and see the wonderful gardens we've got, all with natural plants (as opposed to plastic?) that over winter nicely and come back year after year.

I love walking along Wellesley east of Parliament just to soak up all the beautiful gardens; that residential stretch is among my favourite in the city. I haven't even seen the rest of Cabbagetown yet, but it's definitely on my list.

Everything we plant in our gardens is natural, otherwise it would be dead. I can't stand the hairy-legged earth mother folks that feel that for a garden to be natural it must be unkept and untidy. You can have a beautiful garden of plants indigenious to Ontario and still have it look appealing to your community.
Yes, one could argue that what the community thinks of your garden is none of your concern, but then you run the risk of their ire and will suffer the consequences of the city's pruning police.

everything is natural IMO. if it wasn't, then it would be supernatural.

they should call them deist gardens because even though there is a home owner, the home owner doesn't intervene with what goes on in the lawn but instead observes the lawn from the window.

everything is natural IMO. if it wasn't, then it would be supernatural.

they should call them deist gardens because even though there is a home owner, the home owner doesn't intervene with what goes on in the lawn but instead observes the lawn from the window.

LOL too funny!

Native Gardening

There are a few things to sort out in this thread.

One is the specific case of this particular homeowner and the City's particular response.

vs.

Native or Natural gardening in general.

The other thing is to distinguish between have a natural/native yard, and a natural/native garden.

Let's start with the last point first.

Many green groups promote the use of native perennial plants in yards AND a more natural-type yard.

This serves a variety of purposes. None of them aesthetic (that's just an incidental benefit)

Native plants which by definition grow here naturally, are aclimatized to the conditions.

They can survive, typically on the amount of water provided by the rain, are resistant to local fungii and disease and reproduce well.

As such, there is less or no need for watering, in all but the driest of droughts, and little or no need for the application of pesticide.

This helps in conserving water, and in reducing pollution.

Further, the homeowner gets the benefit of not having to replant so often (petunias every year etc.)

Finally, the use of native plants often assists various wildlife by providing a food source, for butterflies, hummingbirds, various insects etc. , and this filters up to larger wildlife in nearby natural ravines/forests etc.

Native plants can be used in a manicured garden.

However, a natural garden achieves more eco-benefits.

It is, however, a separate issue.

A natural garden generally means all grass is removed (most sod is not from a native strand of grass but is actually related to Kentucky Blue Grass)

It means any paving is kept to a minimum.

It also means that once you have supplied the initial plant material, that for the most part, you let nature look after the space.

Your creating a meadow, or tall-grass prarie, or forest.

This is not to be confused with gardening which is a hobby, and activity and involves actively intervening in your yard to create a certain, generally un-changing look, or at least one where any changes are planned.

Natural yards are supposed to evolve on their own.

That said, natural yards can still get some treatment to make them more interesting, and to create a defined border to them.

ie. Placing rocks or small logs along the edge of the yard or path through the yard, illustrating that is 'cared for' nature.

Natural yards do need to be planted in the first place, generally, because simply letting your non-native sod get 2 feet tall is not creating a natural yard in an ecological sense.

Besides, you want bio-diversity and visual interest.

If you want a forest-habitat, you plant one, or two native trees to start (Red Oak, Sugar Maple, White Pine), then several shrubs (Service Berry, Sumach, Dogwood), the native ground covers (like virginia waterleaf) and then some native forest flowers (like Trilliums, Wild Columbine, and Canada Violet).

If you want meadow, you would try Black-eyed Susan, New England Aster, Woodland Sunflower, some shrubs and native grasses).

And so on.

This can look very appealing, but if you are addicted to perfect geometrical shapes, dull squares of golf course accidently dumped before you cookie-cutter home, where every yard must look just as dull as the person's next door.....then nothing will please you in this vain.

As to the specifics of this case.

I have little doubt that this yard contained many interesting plants.

This woman (homeowner) was the past president of the native plant society and I'm sure she planted a variety of interesting species.

The dead racoon was obviously a problem, however, keep in mind this woman is now older and not able to deal with issues such as this.

A concerned neighbour might have offered to remove the racoon to a garbage bin......that didn't happen.

The City might have done the same.

I have no problem with someone wanting a source of bad smell removed, but the bad smell was not coming from the sumach or some cone-flowers.

The racoon was the issue, and a week-wacker was not the answer.

The City has a service for removing dead animals - I had a decomposing raccoon removed from the laneway near my place about five years ago.

Back