News   Jul 26, 2024
 130     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 877     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 725     0 

City Chops Down "Model" Natural Garden

The City has a service for removing dead animals - I had a decomposing raccoon removed from the laneway near my place about five years ago.

did asphalt crews come by and rip out the laneway afterwards? :confused:

maybe if a raccoon bites the dust in front of city council, we'll get a new one :p

Weed like me

What exactly is a weed? The Oxford dictionary defines it as a wild herb growing where it is not wanted. Does that make a peony in a cabbage patch a weed or visa versa? Lupins grow wild and unattended in many places. Does that make them a weed? ditto lilacs, lilies, lady slippers etc. Queen Anne's Lace is very pretty, yet for some odd reason, they are stigmatized as being a weed. Who decides and for whom are they deciding?

I don't know, I've never had an animal die on my property.
Would they offer (or recommend) such services to the infirm, if such is the case here?

Then again, it's interesting to note that the owner's apparent tactic here was not to remove said coon, but to "compost it away"...

Tactics

To add some clarity here.

The 'neighbour' (we don't actually know who), first complained to the City in or around early June of this year.

At that time the City sent a notice/letter to the yard owner indicating they had received a complaint.

The owner, then phoned the City right away, and spoke at length to someone in by-law enforcement.

She explained that she was past-president of the Native Plant Society, that it was an intentional natural garden etc.

So far as she knew she completely satisfied by-law enforcement (The City) and the issue was closed.

Accoding to her she did not recieve any further calls or notices, and NEVER received a warning that the City would actually cut down the yard.

To this point, to my knowledge, the City has not produced any evidence to the contrary.

The raccoon, I don't believe was at issue at the time of the first notice.

Being as I that I spend a bit of time in forests as part of my job, I can certainly testify to the stench of a rotting raccoon....to say the least, i find it unpleasant.

However, this was a frail older woman, who I don't believe noticed it as being particularly bad (depends on if you're down-wind)

And she herself was unable to remove it at any rate.

So far as I know, no one in her area offered to do so for her (presumably this includes the complainant)

And no, the City does not specifially offer to clean-up dead raccoon on private property........however, it had to be moved when they slashed her shrubs and trees and chainsaws, and weed-wackers anyway.

So, they solved the real problem, and then went of on to solve a largely non-existant one, at the expense of their repuation.

The City's by-law enforcement unit has said they have NEVER taken so many negative calls, EVER, over any action the department has ever taken.

Don't expect them to do anything else like that soon.

Weeds

A brief post on 'weeds'.

As noted in the dictionary post above, the simple definition of weeds is any un-wanted plant, which self-seeded into an area where it was not desired, be that a garden or the middle of a farm crop.

The City's property-standards law doesn't really define weeds for muncipal purposes. It does state an acceptable length for grass however.

Provincial law, however, does define weeds, under the Weed Control Act.

Below are those plants listed as Noxious Weeds under the Act.

Please note this includes several native plants which are essential to eco-system such as Milkweed (the primary source of food and habitat for the Monarch Butterfly.

The list is very old, and is primarily meant to protect farms from fast-spreading plants which can over-run an agricultural crop.

Item

Common Name

Scientific Name

Barberry, common

Berberis vulgaris L.

Buckthorn, European

Rhamnus cathartica L.

Carrot, wild

Daucus carota L.

Colt's-foot

Tussilago farfara L.

Dodder spp.

Cuscuta spp.

Goat's-beard spp.

Tragopogon spp.

Hemlock, poison

Conium maculatum L.

Johnson grass

Sorghum halepense (L.) Persoon

Knapweed spp.

Centaurea spp.

Milkweed spp.

Asclepias spp.

Poison-ivy

Rhus radicans L.

Proso millet, black-seeded

Panicum miliaceum L. (black-seeded biotype)

Ragweed spp.

Ambrosia spp.

Rocket, yellow

Barbarea spp.

Sow-thistle, annual, perennial

Sonchus spp.

Spurge, Cypress

Euphorbia cyparissias L.

Spurge, leafy

Euphorbia esula L. (complex)

Thistle, bull

Cirsium vulgare (Savi) Tenore

Thistle, Canada

Cirsium arvense (L.) Scopoli

Thistle, nodding, spp.

Carduus spp.

Thistle, Russian

Salsola pestifer Aven Nelson

Thistle, Scotch

Onopordum acanthium L.

Vetchling, tuberous

Lathyrus tuberosus L.

I've always liked the Latin names for plants. Do they still teach the Latin names to horicultural students today? My 92 year old Grandmother on the Isle of Wight, UK can still recite every Latin name for each plant in her garden. Funny, she doesn't really know the common names nearly as well.

Back