News   Jul 05, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 544     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Just a little instapic that I posted. The parklets really do an amazing job beautifying Church Street. Just imagine this with developed trees and some repaved roads.

bbebf2f4f6f411e2b1ed22000ae801e7_7.jpg

Painting this structure pink and purple is so obvious, so late and so unsophisticated, it's beyond comprehension. The hegemony who run the village are stuck in 1980. It's a shame because this Port Credit like thing looked way better in it's natural state.

The idea is a good one, and the execution is decent... however, it's a bit like putting lip-stick on a pig because the restaurants these spaces serve are bleh. The high-rent and non-hipness of the area will ensure this never changes. And, of course, our archaic drinking laws will prevent us from drinking on these patios.

Painting this structure pink and purple is so obvious, so late and so unsophisticated, it's beyond comprehension. The hegemony who run the village are stuck in 1980. It's a shame because this Port Credit like thing looked way better in it's natural state.
Ya, different colours could have been used. Or left without paint even. It's so tacky. Of course this should have been expected.

If they were left unpainted some would say they look unfinished, if they were painted green some would say they're too bland, rainbow colours would be too gay - enjoy them, they're a great idea to test for a few months plus they add some colour (IMO) and more space to sit outside.

Work started today on the parklets north of Monteith St.

The idea is a good one, and the execution is decent... however, it's a bit like putting lip-stick on a pig because the restaurants these spaces serve are bleh. The high-rent and non-hipness of the area will ensure this never changes. And, of course, our archaic drinking laws will prevent us from drinking on these patios.

I think the law was recently changed that allows a restaurant to carry drinks across a public sidewalk to an enclosed patio such as the parklets. (As long as the patio space is included in the business' liquor licence, of course.)

Yeah, they're cute but when I was walking by them yesterday, they were being used by lots of people, just hanging out and people watching. (and the weather wasn't even very good) I bet on warm, sunny days, they will be very popular.

And another departure...apparently, Kokoni is gone.

The new sign is already up for its replacement, something called Kintaro Yakitori Izakaya, although it doesn't appear to be open yet. The quick turnaround and similar format lead me to wonder if it's merely a reno / rebranding as opposed to a whole new tenant. Either way, I hope they do better than Kokoni, which never seemed to be very busy.

The parklets between Monteith & Gloucester Sts. (east side) are coming along.

Back