News   Jul 05, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 559     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

If they were left unpainted some would say they look unfinished, if they were painted green some would say they're too bland, rainbow colours would be too gay - enjoy them, they're a great idea to test for a few months plus they add some colour (IMO) and more space to sit outside.

Agreed 100%. There are always people who will complain about almost anything. I like the vibrant colours. The LGBTQ community is all about diversity, and having fun with colours is one of the easiest, most overt ways to do that. Should they have painted them jet black or left them as unpainted wood? I'm sure THAT would have added some vibrancy and colour to the Village. [sarcasm]

I'd love to see more rainbow flags in the Village as well, like other cities have, to really remind people exactly where they are and make the Village stand out a bit more.

The one in front of Pizzaiolo is being painted orange =)

Regardless of the colours though, I think it's a good thing that this is being done; it's definitely a step in the right direction.

how many different colours are there?
do they coincidentally match the rainbow flag - Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo and Violet ?

The orange looks fabulous too. Love all the different colours. Can they re-use these next year?

The orange looks fabulous too. Love all the different colours. Can they re-use these next year?

Good question, I'll be at an event with Kristyn Wong-Tam in a couple of weeks, I'll ask about them - and their possible future.

I went through the Liquor Control Act last week looking to see if these spaces can be licensed, it's ridiculously long and you need to be a legal scholar to understand it. Last night when I walked over to Loblaws I saw alcohol being served, so they obviously have permits. I took another walk around 11pm and what occurred to me each time that I walked along this part of the street is the great vibe it has now. Lots of people walking the sidewalks, colour, people sitting in the new spaces chatting & enjoying a coffee or a meal and still others stopping to look and discuss the parklets. Like the colours or not, no one can tell me that these spaces don't add a new level of vibrancy to these sections of the street. One parklet (in front of Woody's/Pizziola) doesn't seem complete yet but I presume it should be by Monday. They even mounted ashtrays on these in front of Woody's & the strip club.

The Act (or Regulations) were changed in summer 2012. Here is info from CBC website

Canada Day revellers will be able to celebrate as the last vestige of Ontario's outdated liquor laws is swept away.

The last of the regulatory changes that relaxed Ontario's booze rules will take effect July 1.

Organizers of multiple-day events will only have to apply for one permit and will be able to carry over the liquor from one day to the next.

It also reduces the categories of special occasion permits from nine to three, which would apply to events like birthdays, weddings, charity fundraisers and festivals.

A new permit can also be issued for events to promote a manufacturer's products, which would allow them to distribute samples and conduct market research.

Applications for special occasion permits will be accepted at any Liquor Control Board of Ontario store, rather than just the local store.

The first set of changes came last year, which opened up the province to all-inclusive vacations with booze and for alcohol to be served in bleachers rather than just stadiums.

It also extended the time where alcohol could be served at special events, such as weddings and charity events, and removed a rule that prohibited servers from carrying drinks from the bar to the patio if they were separated by a sidewalk.

From: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/06/29/toronto-ontario-liquor-laws.html

Saw these in person on the weekend and they appeared to be well-used. I think these parklets are really awesome.

I saw them over the weekend too. At first I was a bit underwhelmed, but they did grow on me as the day went on. One point... the ones with umbrellas were being heavily used, while the ones without were empty (at least while the sun was out).

cwpatios.jpg

Agreed 100%. There are always people who will complain about almost anything. I like the vibrant colours. The LGBTQ community is all about diversity, and having fun with colours is one of the easiest, most overt ways to do that. Should they have painted them jet black or left them as unpainted wood? I'm sure THAT would have added some vibrancy and colour to the Village. [sarcasm]

I'd love to see more rainbow flags in the Village as well, like other cities have, to really remind people exactly where they are and make the Village stand out a bit more.

I live in the Village and if the LGBTQ community is about diversity then I'm a monkey's uncle.

The vast majority of villagers are 50 year old white males.

I live in the Village and if the LGBTQ community is about diversity then I'm a monkey's uncle.

The vast majority of villagers are 50 year old white males.

Over-all, yeah, at times the Village is mostly middle-aged, white guys but it's also very mixed in age, race and social status. Everybody mixes and mingles there. In the evenings you will see lots of younger guys of every race. Travel to any other gay area in the world and you will not see any one of them more mixed then our Gay Village. (And yes, I have been to just about every Gay Village in the world, outside of South America)

Last edited:

Back