News   Jul 11, 2024
 131     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 304     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 615     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

The new Greek restaurant opened just north of Wellesley opened today.(where Mamma's Shawarma Wraps and the old Garage Sandwhich Shop was) Its called "Yefseis". I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good.

Over on Jarvis it looks like the Red Lion has been gutted and they're doing piles of work inside. I'm a little confused tho; the liquor license application in the window lists the establishment as the Red Lion and not the Blake House (the new name). I wonder if that means it's the same owner, or if they're somehow affiliated with the previous management

I'm also hoping it's new management. The service was horror-story bad before (true story: I was yelled at for asking for a menu, because I was supposed to know what they had. Then when I decided to leave rather than take abuse the owner followed me out the door and yelled at me some more while I was walking away. Then to make it even better, after I'm half a block away some punk grabs my shoulder and it's the "bouncer"! The owner thought it would be a great idea to send some kid to chase me down the street).

Despite it being less than 100m from home, despite my love of pubs, and despite the lack of pubs in the area that aren't gay bars, I've been in there less than 5 times in the last 6 years. Even if the new owners are indifferent it would be an improvement.

A knowledgeable little bird told me that former Crews & Tango got their liquor application approved and will open again, most likely under a different name. I didn't get an opening date but it should be sometime this spring.

The last big space to fill in the neighbourhood is Zelda's former digs.

A knowledgeable little bird told me that former Crews & Tango got their liquor application approved and will open again, most likely under a different name. I didn't get an opening date but it should be sometime this spring.

The last big space to fill in the neighbourhood is Zelda's former digs.

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/EXCLUSIVE_New_owner_set_to_unveil_revived_CrewsTango-8381.aspx

It looks like the name's not changing. www.crewsandtangos.com

Though wasn't it just "Crews and Tango" and not "Crews and Tangos"?

How accessible is the Hero Burger? as in, is it Blind person friendly? and I'm wondering if they'll freak over a Guide dog coming in, as I want to take my BF there for dinner this Thursday, and hes got a guide dog, I have my white cane, and can sort of read large print, but he's totally blind, so just wondering, as he lives nearby.. 10 minute walk East.

How accessible is the Hero Burger? as in, is it Blind person friendly? and I'm wondering if they'll freak over a Guide dog coming in, as I want to take my BF there for dinner this Thursday, and hes got a guide dog, I have my white cane, and can sort of read large print, but he's totally blind, so just wondering, as he lives nearby.. 10 minute walk East.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago when a woman brought her extremely yappie dog in. The staff politely and calmly told her to take the dog out. There was no "freaking" involved. I don't see that they would get upset over allowing a guide dog in. (Also, isn't it a requirement to allow service dogs in to restaurants?)

After you enter the doors there is half a step down into the store, or an old wood ramp on the right side of the step down so it is accessible. You can take your service dog where ever you like, it's the law.

By law, service dogs trained to help people with disabilities are allowed into public places from which pets are banned. Too often, however, people who use these four-legged helpers find themselves at risk because their dogs are shut out.

If your refused anywhere ask to speak to the manager, if your still refused call the police. Anyone who doesn't allow a service dog into their place of work/business needs their gray matter checked if they turn you away.

Last edited:
so who's going to see Girlicious at the old Statlers/Lub new Elevate place tonight? For the record I ain't.

I wonder what that cost the new owners to arrange, and how full its going to be on a Wednesday night?

Oh Elevate is open? Girlicious is there? Well they are opening with a bang.
I haven't been in the village for a while, so maybe that's why I never heard of this until now.
Though the venue is so small they might not want to publicize much and just let word of mouth do its thing.
You can get a full house on a Wednesday if you get the right connected people involved.

While I didn't attend the opening of Elevate, a friend did. He said it was OK, but the place lacked character, and he didn't see it lasting long.

CREWS/TANGO'S return, on the other hand, is something that I think will be long-lasting! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

At Crews and Tangos there is new paper up in the windows and their sign out front reads "opening soon".

Meanwhile across the street the former betting section of Bigliardi's looks ready to open soon as "Pizzaiolo". I took a quick peek inside the windows today as I walked past. This is one bizarre Pizzaiola as there are about a dozen chandeliers and beautiful wooden walls adorn two sides of the restaurant. It just seems too elegant for a pizza joint, even if it is gourmet pizza (also my favorate pizza in the city). The large dining area of Bigliardi's is still up for lease.

Last edited:

Back