News   Jul 11, 2024
 157     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Church-Wellesley Village

Village Business Update

A walk around the Village today shows some places have opened or are coming close to opening, others sit empty. These were all of the closed retail spaces that I could find which suggests the C+W Village isn't in all that bad of shape.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Happily, The Church Street Diner re-opened yesterday

No movement at the old Pizza Nova space

Mamma's Shawarma Wraps has been papered up for a couple of months now

Hero Burgers is a beehive of acitity

The space above Sailor (formally Priape) is still up for lease

Zelda's space still sits empty

No piano playing at Statlers

Crews/Tango looms sadly after being closed for over a year now

Former Bigliardi's is being renovated, Pizzaiolo is coming in here along with whatever else it will take to fill that big space

There's an AGCO Application in today's Star for Crews (To be known as Crews and Tangos Restaurant Bar) at 508-510 Church Street - indoor and outdoor area.) I guess they are reappearing in time for summer.

There's an AGCO Application in today's Star for Crews (To be known as Crews and Tangos Restaurant Bar) at 508-510 Church Street - indoor and outdoor area.) I guess they are reappearing in time for summer.

That's great news. They just need to get a restaurant into former Zelda's and the street will be back to normal, there's always a couple of places closed and in transition along here.

There is also a new restaurant opening up in what most recently was the falafel place just north of Wellesly on Church. (it was the original location of the Garage Sandwich Shop years ago). I spoke to one of the people working on cleaning it up who told me that it would be a Greek restaurant.

So the Village is filling back up again with Hero Burger opening tomorrow and the former Mamma's Shawarma Wraps becoming a Greek restaurant. If I'm not mistaken that just leaves Crews/Tango up in the air (a little bird told me they should be open by May under a slightly different name), former Statlers, former Zeldas and the space above Sailor are empty. Everything else is moving close to re-opening. I really hope someone takes out a lease on Zelda's space, it would be a real shame with that space empty this summer.

Homewood Ave

I found an old map, which I can't find anymore, that showed three courts coming off the west side of the downtown Homewood.

The northernmost one got extended to connect with Maitland.

The southern two are gone, replaced with towers. Interestingly, they made it onto the modern Google Map, despite the fact that they don't exist anymore.

Google Map

Hero Burger opened today at C+W so the roommie & I met there after work and grabbed some grub to go. I had the 6oz (aren't we on Metric yet?) Hero Burger with fries ($8) & my roommate got the 8oz Peameal Bacon Burger with fries ($11). The burgers were truly great along with the fresh cut frites (cooked in transfat-free oil). This isn't really my type of food but if it's yours I highly recommended giving Hero Burgers a shot.

Hmmm, that's strange. Usually adding the start of the postal code (M4Y) is enough to distinguish which one you want. Google maps seems to keep switching up which Homewood they give by default.

I lived at 60 Homewood when I first moved to Toronto. I never new there was a tennis court on the roof. The street is probably best known for it's "ladies" of the night.

Yeah, walking down Homewood was awkward. (used to live there)

I saw two of those "ladies" fighting over prices one day. They may dress like women but they certainly punch like men (right in the face too!)

There is now a sign in the window of the old Statlers space. All it says is "coming soon" and the new name which is "Elevate". It doesn't give any further info as to what it will be- a bar, restaurant, night club etc..

has anyone been to Chi-Ko-Roo yet? I've walked past there a bunch of times and the wait staff is hanging out in the front.

I have no idea what kind of food they're slinging. A menu out front might be a decent idea at some juncture.

Back