News   Jul 11, 2024
 136     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 617     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Dec. 5th Update

The former Alibi/Trax we now know is not going to be a club but I thought some might find an update of the exterior renos. interesting. Kudos to the landlord or tenant for what they're doing here, if only more properties on Yonge would clean up their frontages or renovate.

The previous photo at the bottom is from Oct. 25th

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

So far this is much, much better than what the previous group did to the front of this great building.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Except I wish they would strip old paint of bricks instead of adding yet another layer to it all. So far, the state of facade improvement on Yonge is a pretty sad spectacle of stucco and paint.

AoD

Except I wish they would strip old paint of bricks instead of adding yet another layer to it all. So far, the state of facade improvement on Yonge is a pretty sad spectacle of stucco and paint.

AoD

some of that has to do with the damage sandblasting / power washing can do to the original brickwork's integrity.

there's also environmental issues about stripping the paint off commercial properties, and AFAIK there are only a handful (3-5) companies in TO that are qualified to do the work.

On the way out to find some dinner last night I saw a scafold going up in front of the old Bigliardi's space. I asked the people working on it who said that a pizza restaurant was going in. Apparently it is part of a chain. Less character more cookie cutter outlets for Church St..

On the way out to find some dinner last night I saw a scafold going up in front of the old Bigliardi's space. I asked the people working on it who said that a pizza restaurant was going in. Apparently it is part of a chain. Less character more cookie cutter outlets for Church St..

It's going to be a Pizzaiolo, which is at least a good place to get a slice.

I am confused as to why there is still a sign out front implying the space is for sale or lease. I am guessing they will split it up as there is no way a pizza place would need all that space. This would at least create an opportunity for something with more "character" to move in.

Former Bigliardi's is a really large space. There's no way just a Pizziola (amazing pizza btw) can support that kind space and rent. I'm willing to bet that it will be chopped into two or three rentable spaces. It would have made a great dance club.

Former Bigliardi's is a really large space. There's no way just a Pizziola (amazing pizza btw) can support that kind space and rent. I'm willing to bet that it will be chopped into two or three rentable spaces. It would have made a great dance club.

Damn you bylaw! *shakes fist*

Who owns the old house(s) that the Pizza Pizza is built into at Church & Wellesley. They are completely decaying, and in reality, should be the focal point of the village. They must have heritage designation, no? And if so, can the city not issue a work order?

Who owns the old house(s) that the Pizza Pizza is built into at Church & Wellesley. They are completely decaying, and in reality, should be the focal point of the village. They must have heritage designation, no? And if so, can the city not issue a work order?

A fellow I know lived in there back in the 60's or 70's, he thought that it was originally a hotel. Every couple of years the owner does a little something to fix up or spruce up the building a bit. It's a shame because it could be a really handsome landmark property if the exterior was restored. Visually, it appears that it's been on the verge of collapse since as long as I can remember but I'm sure it's safe and up to code.

Last edited:

Back