News   Jun 25, 2024
 838     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 798     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Church-Wellesley Village

I think, and someone correct me if I'm off base here, the bike lanes were an interim solution that Council voted on until further planning was completed and a budget allocated. I live on Jarvis in a "tower in the park" type building and my landlord wanted to make improvments to landscaping and modifications to their property, including the area facing Jarvis Street and were refused until the plans for the revitilization were in place, then the landlord would have to submit their proposal for what they wanted to do. So we still have a dated, semi-crappy, Jarvis Street frontage.

I think, and someone correct me if I'm off base here, the bike lanes were an interim solution that Council voted on until further planning was completed and a budget allocated. I live on Jarvis in a "tower in the park" type building and my landlord wanted to make improvments to landscaping and modifications to their property, including the area facing Jarvis Street and were refused until the plans for the revitilization were in place, then the landlord would have to submit their proposal for what they wanted to do. So we still have a dated, semi-crappy, Jarvis Street frontage.

Yes correct, but the big problem here is there is no money budged for the now mythical Jarvis Street improvements ... tis the same story with everything else in Toronto (particularly the core, think Yonge / John / Dundas / Queen / ...) ... welcome to the ugliest city in North America (from a public realm point of view).

Heck even Bloor was mainly driven by the BIA, and Queens Quay by waterfront Toronto ... what a pathetic city, but I love it nonetheless : )

Okay to be a fair a couple minor projects did take place Roncesvalles, Yonge around Eglinton 5 years ago or so ... most fairly crappy by North American standards but nice for Toronto.

Jarvis & Wellesley on lockdown, trying to figure what's going on. Jarvis closed from Maitland to Gloucester, Wellesley closed from Church to Homewood. Have police scanner on now.

South on Jarvis-

Wellesley, west to Church St-

South on Jarvis and east along Wellesley-

Intersection-

Jarvis now closed down to Carlton, presumably for better traffic control

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ah, OK, found nothing on the news or the scanner. Thought something bigger was going on, hope she's OK.

The Stag Shop has moved into Reither's former space and on the other side of the split retail spot DAVIDs TEA looks ready to open soon.

Big Johnson's is closing down for a week and rebranding, according to a sign on the window.

Can't wait for David's Tea to open! Looks like they are almost done! Went in the Stag Shop and realized how much smaller the place is than the old location. And I've never been a fan of Big Johnson's, so I welcome a rebranding!

wtf ... and under new management also ... it's only been open since july

Haha, exactly what I thought. I went to Big J's once, wasn't a fan either. It wasn't run very well. Does new management mean there's a new owner? Or does that just mean they fired the manager and hired a new one, but everything else is basically the same? I never understood that term.

I just saw the DAVIDs TEA the other day (haven't been on Church St. in a while). I had thought they were a local chain (I was only familiar with the First Canadian Place location), but I looked on their website and see that they are across the country (BC to Newfoundland), with some US locations, as well. Nice to see a national chain (and one with a very pleasing contemporary design and healthy product) open up in the village.

http://www.davidstea.com/

Went into David's Tea yesterday. Extremely friendly (and sexy) staff, good tea, and looked like a good flow of people entering in!

Big Johnson's lease has been terminated according to a sign on the door. Could see that coming because I went in 2 weeks ago with my family and when we went to pay they said they didn't accept credit cards. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a Tim Horton's go in here, that would certainly enliven the village a bit more.

Last edited:
Big Johnson's lease has been terminated according to a sign on the door. Could see that coming because I went in 2 weeks ago with my family and when we went to pay they said they didn't accept credit cards. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a Tim Horton's go in here, that would certainly enliven the village a bit more.

I would be totally down for that, although I'm not sure how the other coffee shops on the street would feel. I know a lot struggle with rent as it is. I wouldn't mind seeing some frozen yogurt in the village though ;)

Back