News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 809     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

How much do you want to bet that a developer has bought (or is trying to buy) that property, Zippers and the parking lot behind the two buildings for a new condo project?

I think that would be a great block for Will Alsop to play with. Or, Canadian-wise, Saucier & Perrote. Heee!

Just - please - whatever goes up, no P&S, no G&C, absolutely no Tridel nor all the other worthy, prosaic firms duly seeing us through this boom of ours.

Preliminary studies for OCADu by Alsop (wish they'd kept more of the colour)

ocadu1.jpg

ocadu2.jpg

This kind of colour and play would be great for an entry into la village.

Last edited:
I think the area across the street from teh 365? Church development proposal would be a better spot to start. Rip down the Barn and then you have that parking lot along with it for a good location. If the developer wanted to be innovative, build an archway across the Church between the development on the east side and potential one on the west side and build straight up from the arch over teh street as well. Call it the Rainbow Tower or something that would be appropriate to the neighborhood.

The Barn is a designated heritage building but developing that parking lot next door would be great.

Last edited:
On the retail front, Sweet Lulu's has closed, and David's Tea and Stag Shop are moving into Reither's old space.

Last edited:
On the retail front, Sweet Lulu's has closed, and David's Tea and Stag Shop are moving into Reither's old space.

Oh interesting info! Too bad about Sweet Lulu, although I think I only ever went there once. Glad to see the Reither's space get filled up, and at least it's not with the generic pub/bar. The tea shop could be interesting! And the Stag Shop is always fun... ;). I wonder if they'll do well being located to close to Priape and Out on the Street.

And the Stag Shop is always fun... ;). I wonder if they'll do well being located to close to Priape and Out on the Street.
It's just a relocation for the Stag Shop - it's currently a little further south at Alexander. If anything, being closer to their competition may be an advantage.

It's just a relocation for the Stag Shop - it's currently a little further south at Alexander. If anything, being closer to their competition may be an advantage.

yes, and iirc the Stag Shop is currently located slightly below ground level - not the most optimum for drop-in storefront retail.

Last edited:
Stag Shop sucks. It's geared more for a heterosexual audience. Also they have hire prices for stuff compared to what I've seen at Out on the Street.

The small sidewalks. Watch out for the vomit on the weekends!
The trashy people sitting outside who stare like they've never seen a human before.
Almost every bar is so run down and smelly. Eg. Crews/Tangos.
The owners of most of the buildings just don't care about the buildings, and don't take care of them.
The apartment buildings are mostly ugly around there. Slabby and old run down places.

Someone should take a wrecking ball to Church and Wellesley. It's a D U M P.

Back