News   Apr 23, 2024
 113     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 608     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 415     0 

Carsharing Grows

First time in a while but..........some notable carsharing news.

First, Metrolinx and Zipcar have made a deal, carsharing arrives this spring at six GO stations including:

Port Credit (Lakeshore West)
Long Branch (Lakeshore West)
Mimico (Lakeshore West)
Eglinton (Lakeshore East)
Scarborough (Lakeshore East)
Richmond Hill (Richmond Hill)

Second, I don't know the locations yet, but Autoshare will be adding 2 additional vehicles in Mississauga.

Third, Car2GO Toronto just added another 50 cars to its fleet.

I expect a fair few other new locations in the GTA this spring and will report on those as I know.

It's a stretch for a Toronto-based forum, but some other carsharing news is that Community CarShare is launching in London on May 1 with three cars to start.

First time in a while but..........some notable carsharing news.

First, Metrolinx and Zipcar have made a deal, carsharing arrives this spring at six GO stations including:

Port Credit (Lakeshore West)
Long Branch (Lakeshore West)
Mimico (Lakeshore West)
Eglinton (Lakeshore East)
Scarborough (Lakeshore East)
Richmond Hill (Richmond Hill)

Second, I don't know the locations yet, but Autoshare will be adding 2 additional vehicles in Mississauga.

Third, Car2GO Toronto just added another 50 cars to its fleet.

I expect a fair few other new locations in the GTA this spring and will report on those as I know.

We'll need GO service in both directions, first. Would help those who live in the condos downtown and need to go to outside of Toronto for business, medical purposes, whatever, and without a car.

Carsharing in the inner burbs; and Mississauga beginning to takeoff!

Zipcar, in Toronto:

Now at:

Midland & Lawrence
Brimley & Eglinton
Victoria Park & Steeles
Tuxedo Court (Markham Rd, just north of Ellesmere)
Dufferin by Yorkdale Mall
2800 Jane (just south of Finch)
Scarlett just north of Eglinton
2300 Lakeshore Blvd (old motel strip area, just east of Park Lawn)

Also: Zipcar - Mississauga

Now at Hurontario/Enfield
And at Brickstone Mews (Confederation blvd, just north of Burnamthorpe)

(that's in addition to UTM campus and Port Credit GO)

Carsharing in the inner burbs; and Mississauga beginning to takeoff!

Zipcar, in Toronto:

Now at:

Midland & Lawrence
Brimley & Eglinton
Victoria Park & Steeles
Tuxedo Court (Markham Rd, just north of Ellesmere)
Dufferin by Yorkdale Mall
2800 Jane (just south of Finch)
Scarlett just north of Eglinton
2300 Lakeshore Blvd (old motel strip area, just east of Park Lawn)

Also: Zipcar - Mississauga

Now at Hurontario/Enfield
And at Brickstone Mews (Confederation blvd, just north of Burnamthorpe)

(that's in addition to UTM campus and Port Credit GO)

Where is the Scarlett & Eglinton Location?

I live close by and have been calling on them for this for a while now. I sooooooo would use it. ;)

And another new Zipcar outpost at Mississauga City Centre (383 Prince of Wales Drive).

This means there are now 3 Zipcar locations in MCC offering 7 vehicles, plus autoshare's 2 locations.

That is explosive growth in MCC.

And Zipcar is now UTSC (U of T Scarborough campus) 2 cars

Zipcar is expanding to London, Ottawa, and Kitchener-Waterloo. That makes for three carsharing operators in each of those areas - Student CarShare and Zipcar are in all three, Community CarShare is in London and KW, and Vrtucar is in Ottawa.

Looks like they made some other moves.

They nixed the car at Port Credit and at Langstaff RHC.

However they added cars at Oakville and Burlington GO, as well as Bramalea and Brampton and Guelph! They also moved the car in Richmond Hill to the Major Mack area station.

Haven't posted an update here in awhile.

Of Toronto's carshares' Zipcar remains the most aggressive w/growth. I'm a bit surprised as Autoshare now has the deep pockets of Enterprise behind it, but so far there only notable expansion has been York U.

Zipcar new areas of service in the last few months:

Scarborough - Vic Park/Lawrence area
Scarborough - Lawrence/Kingston Rd. area
Scarborough - Birchmount/Eglinton area
Scarborough - Victoria Park/Sheppard area
Scarborough - Markham/Eglinton
Scarborough - Centennial College (Progress)
Scarborough - City Centre area
North York/York - Weston Go Stn
Etobicoke - East Mall/Bloor area
Etobicoke - Evans Ave/Brown's Line
Mississauga - Now up to 5 City Centre locations
Mississauga - 3 locations on/near Hurontario btw City Ctr area and Port Credit (incl Cooksville GO)
Oakville - new location in downtown (in addition to Oakville GO)

Here is an email I received today from Autoshare:

Exciting news! AutoShare will soon change our name to Enterprise CarShare.

Since acquiring AutoShare in 2014, Enterprise has brought newer, cleaner cars in more locations in the Greater Toronto Area, member discounts at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and enhanced our community through contributions from the Enterprise Holdings Foundation.

This new chapter for AutoShare is a sign of growth of car sharing in Toronto, while remaining true to our sense of community and leadership as a sustainable transportation provider in the GTA. Your dedicated Member Services team is staying the same, as is our office location.

In the coming weeks, you will start seeing Enterprise CarShare parking signs and decals popping up around town.

Stay tuned for more great news and from us about the transition and program enhancements coming very soon!

I used autoshare etc for a few months, and thought they are still quite expensive. Do you guys really find it that useful? I think it only makes sense if you need to make a quick return trip, for under 2 hours. Regular car rental is like $40 a day, sometimes cheaper.

Does Toronto have the ride share service like blablacar in France?

I find it cheaper than renting a car, considering gas and insurance are inclusive, especially for longer distances. Also, youre paying for the convenience.
Autoshare does a good job keeping a variety of vehicles (anything from a BMW X1 to a Fiat 500) and replacing vehicles regularly.
I put a couple thousand km on one of their brand new Civics during the summer and it was nice to be able to drive a brand new car.
I often do 500+km in a 48hr booking, so once you consider gas, it is about the same as renting. I have seen Autoshare vehicles all over the province, so I cant be the only one that thinks there great for weekend trips.
Autoshare is expensive is in the booking by the hr - for short trips under 5 hrs.

Back