News   May 06, 2024
 222     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 710     0 

Captain John's Restaurant (1975-2012)

(Un)fortunately this boat can't go anywhere, and I suspect it won't get that far down if it does sink. One'd hope it stay afloat - it will cost even more of a fortune to raise and dispose of it in the latter case.

AoD

I've heard the ship is nearly afloat. A couple dumpster load would float it. The problem is making the cost of abatement work with salvaging the hull.

It's not pollution to sink a boat. It's done all the time with the blessing of environmentalists to create artificial reefs and habitat for fish. As long as the appropriate oils and liquids have been drained from the boat it's actually a good thing to sink a boat.

It's not pollution to sink a boat. It's done all the time with the blessing of environmentalists to create artificial reefs and habitat for fish. As long as the appropriate oils and liquids have been drained from the boat it's actually a good thing to sink a boat.

That's why the Costa Concordia was capsized.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...uncil_votes_to_seize_captain_johns_ship.html#

The odyssey of Captain John’s restaurant drifted a bit further toward a conclusion on Friday.

City council voted to begin the process of seizing the ship owned by John Letnik and moored at the foot of Yonge St. But the fight between Letnik and his many opponents may well end up in court: under maritime law, a ship can only be seized for arrears and sold if there is a court order.

“It’s maybe the beginning of the battle,” Letnik said at city hall after the vote. He said he will “definitely” mount a legal challenge.

Letnik owes about $1 million in taxes and fees. His 55-year-old ship, the Jadran, once housed a popular restaurant, but it is now a relic: the city turned off the water and shut down the restaurant in 2012.

The city has taken a hard line with Letnik in recent years, but Councillors Doug Ford and Joe Mihevc praised him Friday as a contributor and immigrant success story. Council passed a motion to honour Captain John’s with a plaque.

“I appreciate that they recognized me as a contributor in the early days on the waterfront,” Letnik said.

Back