News   Jun 21, 2024
 140     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 291     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 413     0 

Captain John's Restaurant (1975-2012)

In a last-ditch effort to prevent his now-defunct floating restaurant from being seized and scrapped, “Captain†John Letnik has launched a countersuit against the Toronto Port Authority seeking more than $1.2 million in damages. http://www.thestar.com/business/rea..._ship_from_salvage_at_toronto_waterfront.html

OMG ... will he just go away PLEASE !

he's a business man who's losing money with a non-viable venture.
if any other person was in the situation, the city would be all over them immediately.

Well there's a man living in there, with no water connection. Figure it out!

Well there's a man living in there, with no water connection. Figure it out!

According to The Star article he's not onboard anymore:

Forcing Letnik, 75, out of the on-board apartment where he lived after bringing the ship, the Jadran, from his native Yugoslavia in the 1970s.

Also, love how delusional he is:

What they are doing to me is not fair.

Despite the fact that:

Years of nonpayment of realty taxes, berthing and other fees that, with penalties, now exceed $1 million. There are more than $650,000 worth of mortgages outstanding on the ship, according to a statement of claim filed by the Port Authority with the Federal Court on Dec. 2.

It always amazes me when people have no grasp of cause and effect. They just look at the effect and think life is unfair.

I would like it if that ship could be moved to a different location (Centre Island or near the grain silos) refurbished and used as a children's museum, art gallery or tourist attraction. Our waterfront could use more attractions and if that ship was fixed up, it could look good on the waterfront.

We neglected HMCS Haida badly. The only WW2 veteran in good shape is the converted Empire Sandy. I'd say no more non-operational ships on Toronto's waterfront.

It is a damn shame that we scrapped almost all of our Majestic Class light carriers. The only survivor was sold to the Indian navy decades ago, and guess what...it is a museum ship now in Mumbai.

It's an interesting looking boat, it's just in very bad shape. If you let a few really creative artists get to work on that boat, I'm sure it could look wonderful. All it takes is some creativity and talent, and you've got yourself a much needed new attraction on Toronto's slowly improving waterfront. Those desolate silos on the west side could use an attraction to animate the area. Most days, that part of the waterfront is quite dead. I've never seen a soul in Ireland Park. It could use a few more people.

We need to be bringing more attractions to our waterfront.

Those desolate silos on the west side could use an attraction to animate the area. Most days, that part of the waterfront is quite dead. I've never seen a soul in Ireland Park. It could use a few more people.

We need to be bringing more attractions to our waterfront.

Uh, there's a reason or two why there isn't a soul to see at Ireland Park. It's been closed off for the last three years courtesy of the Toronto Pork Authority. Waterfront Toronto itself has been slow building a connection from the east.

The only survivor was sold to the Indian navy decades ago, and guess what...it is a museum ship now in Mumbai.
Not for long according to an article in the Time of India this week:

Not museum but scrapyard for warship Vikrant

In a few weeks time, the Indian Museum Ship (IMS) Vikrant - a warship symbolizing India's victory in the 1971 Indo-Pakistani War - will make its final voyage to the Alang ship breaking yard in Gujarat. When it docks, ...

Back