News   Aug 28, 2024
 585     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 2.2K     8 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 550     0 

Candidates and their subway plans... The Star tells you which one is more credible

Which Subway/Transit plan do you support

• Sarah Thomson

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Rocco Rossi

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Joe Pantalone

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • George Smitherman

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Rob Ford

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
I can't bring myself to believe that Ford is ahead of Smitherman :(

I believe it. I've been warning about this for a while. People on this board don't seem to have a good grasp of the half of the population that lives north of Eglinton. Nor are folks on here generally concerned about the concerns of those residents. They are simply written off as suburbanite neanderthals who drive cars. These are people who saw the plate tax as a direct assault on them. Not because they like driving. But because they didn't think transit was an effective alternative all the time and so they saw the Miller plate tax as a tax on a necessity. These are people who don't bike, because biking down Sheppard with 80km/h traffic is quite scary! These are people who pay for garbage collection now, only to see their part of town usually get more trash strewn. Etc. Etc. Now those folks might just seek revenge using Ford.

I don't support Ford. But I understand where he comes from and why he's doing as well as he is in the polls. He's only politicians who actually understands and sympathizes with the concerns of suburbanites. And whether he's lying or not, he says all the right things, "I'll build more subways." "I'll end the war on the car." Etc.

Fair enough. Ford is a wife-beating bigot. Anyone who would vote for him must be a neanderthal!

That's exactly the kind of talk (your condescending attitude) that will help Ford become Mayor.

Some on here still don't get it. People don't like being looked down upon. You call somebody a neanderthal for voting for Ford, they might just do it out of spite.

That's exactly the kind of talk (your condescending attitude) that will help Ford become Mayor.

Some on here still don't get it. People don't like being looked down upon. You call somebody a neanderthal for voting for Ford, they might just do it out of spite.

Ford may come close, but he won't win. So why worry about it?

Ford may come close, but he won't win. So why worry about it?

I am not a Rob Ford fan, but if the polls are correct, why wouldn't he have a shot at winning the big chair?

And Ford doesn't have to win to do damage. If he starts leading in the polls, the other candidates will start incorporating his most popular ideas. In the end, Ford doesn't need to win for a lot of his ideas to be put into practice.

Last edited:
How does me disapproving of wife-beating bigots help him become mayor? Is there a significant part of the electorate that supports wife-beating and bigotry?

You call somebody a neanderthal for voting for Ford, they might just do it out of spite.
If someone bases their voting decision on what someone here calls people, then Toronto deserves Ford. Besides, I've trashed all 6 leading candidates (actually I'm not sure I've trashed Mammoliti - hardly seems sporting!). Somehow, I don't think I'll be getting them all elected! :)

I am not a Rob Ford fan, but if the polls are correct, why wouldn't he have a shot at winning the big chair?
I'd think that the media in Toronto has enough ammo to sink Ford pretty quickly if he looks like he might win in the fall. He has little media support - don't doubt they'll use it.

Last edited:

And Ford doesn't have to win to do damage. If he starts leading in the polls, the other candidates will start incorporating his most popular ideas. In the end, Ford doesn't need to win for a lot of his ideas to be put into practice.

Oh, he does have a shot. But somehow, I'm banking on him messing up somewhere big in the race. It's in his nature. :)

Hopefully the rest of the candidates won't take and reinvent any of Ford's ideas.

How does me disapproving of wife-beating bigots help him become mayor? Is there a significant part of the electorate that supports wife-beating and bigotry?

Your attitude is condescending (and quite frankly a little insulting) because you assume that if somebody votes for Ford, they support wife-beating. Many Americans voted for Clinton, does that mean they endorse philandering? Does Bush getting elected mean that Americans support alcoholism and drug use?

If someone bases their voting decision on what someone here calls people, then Toronto deserves Ford.

More condescension from you. So anybody that votes for Ford is now less than human?

I'd think that the media in Toronto has enough ammo to sink Ford pretty quickly if he looks like he might win in the fall. He has little media support - don't doubt they'll use it.

We'll see what happens. I am a little disturbed that Ford's made it this far. If he gets enough momentum, it won't matter what the media say.

I have been reading a bit about Ford and he, from what I can gather, he is totally against TC and streetcars. If he was to completely stop all TC streetcar lines including the current Sheppard East then I would vote for him.
TC was Miller's baby which no one in Toronto wanted and it has consumed 5 years of debate with nothing to show for it. TC was not a great idea but was going to be a catastrophic waste of funds the way they where going to institute it and would do nothing to improve the long suffering TTC patron's commute.
I would also not vote for anyone who would extend the BD to STC right away. It has to be done eventually but they already have rapid transit and they can lease cars from Vancouver to keep it alive. Use those funds to extend the subways to new areas not just replace existing lines.

We don't know what he would do, since he hasn't shown a plan yet! But voting for Ford just because of a good transit plan is just plain dumb. With all that I have heard about Ford, it's a miracle he's in second place!

His voting history on City Council provides a pretty good guess as to what he is in favour of. Motions he has made are an even better identifier:

I have purposfully picked snippets from recent meetings where he was quite active in making motions along the lines of spending.

Frankly, I think a vote for Ford is a vote in favour of paralysis and doing nothing across the board; including on major items like the waterfront due to "Eliminating the Precinct Implementation projects (West Donlands and East Bayfront): $72.204 million."

2010-04-15
10d - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
Parks, Forestry and Recreation (Recommendations 18 - 23.1)

That the 2010 Operating Budget for Parks, Forestry and Recreation be reduced by eliminating the three proposed new permanent positions for Tree Maintenance and Planting. (Total savings of approximately $223,534)

10b - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
Operating Budget - General

That the 2010 Operating Budget be reduced by:
1. Reducing City staffing levels across all program areas except Toronto Fire Services and Emergency Medical Services by 1 percent. (Total savings of approximately $20 million)
2. Requesting all Agencies, Boards and Commissions except the Toronto Police Service to reduce staff levels by 1 percent. (Total savings of approximately $20 million)

10h - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
City Manager's Office (Recommendations 49 - 50)

That the 2010 Operating Budget for the City Manager's Office be reduced by:
1. eliminating all 3 issues of the "Our Toronto" newsletter (Total savings to the Taxpayer: $746,000; $296,000 net); and
2. eliminating the “City Insider” employee newsletter. (Total savings to the Taxpayer $21,000).

10i - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
Mayor's Office (Recommendation 54)

That the 2010 Operating Budget for the Mayor's Office be reduced by 10 percent from the 2009 budget. (Total savings of approximately $259,600)

10j - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
Accountability Offices (Excluding the Auditor General's Office) (Recommendations 56 - 57)

That the 2010 Operating Budget for the Accountability Offices be reduced by not approving the recommended 2 additional positions in the Office of the Ombudsman. (Total savings: $135,400 in 2010)

10k - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
Community Partnership and Investment Program (CPIP) (Recommendations 102 - 103)

That the 2010 Operating Budget for the Community Partnership and Investment Program (CPIP) be reduced by 10 percent. (Total savings of approximately $4.670 million)

2009-12-08
2a - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
That the Capital Budget and 2011-2019 Capital Plan for 311 Customer Service Strategy be amended by:

1. Eliminating 311: $12.541 million.
2. Eliminating the new 311 spending (including kiosks): $1.1227 million.

2d - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
That the Capital Budget and 2011-2019 Capital Plan for Shelter, Support and Housing Administration be amended by:

1. Eliminating funding for feasibility studies, design proposals and contribution to shelter development/redevelopment: $20.412 million
2. Eliminating the green initiatives (green roof and solar panels) at shelters: $0.500 million.
3. Eliminating streetscape improvements and green wall at 129 Peter Street shelter: $0.999 million.
4. Eliminating the purchase of an Emergency Care Vehicle: $0.5 million.

2b - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
That the Capital Budget and 2011- 2019 Capital Plan for Economic Development, Culture and Tourism be amended by:

1. Eliminating the BIA Streetscape Improvement project: $4.327 million.
2. Eliminating the increase for Fort York Visitor’s Centre: $6.550 million.
3. Eliminating the Public Art Development and feasibility study of the Toronto Museum Project: $3.837 million.
4. Eliminating the Mural Program: $0.050 million.
5. Eliminating the Commercial Façade Program: $0.506 million.

2c - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
That the Capital Budget and 2011-2019 Capital Plan for Parks, Forestry and Recreation be amended by:

1. Eliminating the construction of new and expanded community centres: $196.109 million.
2. Eliminating the land acquisitions: $6.551 million
3. Eliminating the enhancement of Don Valley Brick Works: $1.2 million.

2f - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
That the Capital Budget and 2011-2019 Capital Plan for Transportation Services be amended by:

1. Eliminating the Bike Plan/expansion of the bike network (except for commitments associated with FSI funds): $44.703 million.
2. Eliminating the acquisition of land and construction for North Yonge Centre Service Road: $19 million.
3. Eliminating the Neighbourhood Improvement projects: $3.520 million in 2010.
4. Eliminating Fort York Pedestrian Bridge: $8.5 million.

2g - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)
That the Capital Budget and 2011-2019 Capital Plan for the Waterfront Revitalization Initiative be amended by:

1. Eliminating the Gardiner Environmental Assessments: $4.351 million.
2. Eliminating the Precinct Implementation projects (West Donlands and East Bayfront): $72.204 million.
3. Eliminating Lake Ontario Park: $9.487 million in 2010.
4. Eliminating the construction of new waterfront parks.
5. Eliminating the Western Waterfront Master Plan development: $0.150 million.
6. Eliminating the new driveway into Exhibition Place: $1.0 million.

2h - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)

That the Capital Budget and 2011-2019 Capital Plan for Facilities and Real Estate be amended by:
1. Eliminating the redevelopment of St. Lawrence Market North: $74.89 million
2. Eliminating the West District Plan and new Etobicoke York Civic Centre: $67.200 million
3. Eliminating the revitalization of Nathan Phillips Square: $28.258 million
4. Eliminating acquisition of 819 Sheppard Avenue West: $3.889 million

2i - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)

That the Capital Budget and 2011-2019 Capital Plan for Toronto Public Library be amended by:
1. Eliminating the construction of 2 new libraries and 13 library expansion projects: $57.581 million.

2l - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)

That the Capital Budget and 2011-2019 Capital Plan for Toronto Parking Authority be amended by:
1. Eliminating landscaping projects at Toronto Parking Authority carparks: $400,000.
2. Eliminating the expansion/new development of 49 off-street parking facilities: $251.289 million.

2009-05-25
Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)

Motion 2 - That the City of Toronto not accept federal/provincial Affordable Housing Program funding for the construction of new Affordable Rental Homes in the amount of $43 million.

2009-05-25: The below motion was on an old street (Barnaby Place, deadend) which the city was decomissioning and intent on domating to Sick Kids for an expansion. Sick kids had hospital on one side and the parking lot on the other side of the street.

The below motion was to, instead of allowing the hospital to create a single joined building, to see if Build Toronto could find a private investor to build something on the land -- perhaps even a bridge to join the two hospital pieces together.

Motion to Refer Item moved by Councillor Rob Ford (Lost)

Revised Motion 4 - That the Item be referred to the Chief Corporate Officer to determine the suitability for transfer or turnover to Build Toronto Inc. and report back to the Government Management Committee.

It seems pretty clear to me that a vote for Rob Ford is a vote for "do less" within the cities government. You can also find votes against things like streetcar replacements, against bus expansion, and against raising fares AND against increasing operational subsidies to TTC (service cuts would be required; admittedly these are not on the same day).

Last edited:

Back