News   Mar 28, 2024
 180     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Canadian Tire

Whoever you go with, check to make sure they are approved by the MTO (listed on their website). Interesting that a company named "Peters" does not appear under Toronto, although they might have a different corporate name or be registered under an adjoining municipality. Agree that Young Drivers is a good bet - worked for me oh so many moons ago. I notice that CAA recently got out of the game.

Turns out Peters Academy of Defensive Diving had their license revoked. Oops.

Go with YD.

Turns out Peters Academy of Defensive Diving had their license revoked. Oops.

Go with YD.
Looks like the way to go, https://www.yd.com/locations/on/toronto-downtown/courses?cid=60597. In 1988 I paid I believe $600 for my driving lessons and use of the car for my test, and that's equal to about $1,200 today. So the YD $1,400 price seems fair to me. Are you listening Canadian Tire? People were willing to pay top dollar, you just needed to do a better job of promoting it..... or maybe partner with YD.

Are you listening Canadian Tire? People were willing to pay top dollar, you just needed to do a better job of promoting it..... or maybe partner with YD.

So now we're all willing to pay top dollar, is it?

I swear, a large swath of this thread has been about the exact opposite: how cheap people are and how little they're willing to pay top dollar for things of value.

So, which is it?

...never mind the fact that these driving schools don't do a great job of teaching anyone to be confident and spatially aware so I'm not sure any of them are of any value but for the insurance savings.

Well, start there, get informed.

I like YD because they teach the sorts of things we learned in motorcycle training, accident prediction, awareness, soft shoulder recovery, wet weather ops.

Go on then.....

No, no, wait...don't change the subject.....are we cool with paying top dollar and getting value or are we all cheap?

Which is it?

Canadian Tire Corporation Reports Excellent Performance in the Third Quarter

Nov 05, 2020

• Consolidated comparable sales up 18.9%
  • Year to date eCommerce sales reach $1 billion, a 211% increase
  • Diluted Earnings Per Share (EPS) were $4.84; normalized EPS grew 42.5%
  • Annual dividend to be increased 3.3% to $4.70 per share, reflecting 11 years of consecutive increases

Canadian Tire raises quarterly dividend, reports Q3 profit and sales up from year ago

Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. reported a surge in sales in its third quarter as the pandemic continued to encourage one-stop shopping and a larger "basket size" as shoppers stocked up to avoid multiple trips to the store.

"We believe that the macro trend with respect to the one-stop shop is here to stay, at least over the winter and while the pandemic is ongoing," Canadian Tire president and CEO Greg Hicks told an investor call on Thursday.

People whine about how the evil Amazon is taking over retail, but I ordered a tube of caulking and tools 10 days ago from CT, they were in stock, but they have yet to ship and their system is down so I can't even log into my account at this point. Next time: Amazon.

Canadian Tire online / curbside has been problematic throughout the pandemic. I can walk up to my local Home Hardware and they go in and get what I need (their online system is also somewhat problematic in that it requires a minimum order). But yeah, there's a reason people turn to Amazon.

Canadian Tire online / curbside has been problematic throughout the pandemic. I can walk up to my local Home Hardware and they go in and get what I need (their online system is also somewhat problematic in that it requires a minimum order). But yeah, there's a reason people turn to Amazon.
Yup, I've had really good luck with Home Hardware through all of this. I can barely get the CT website to work on a good day.

People whine about how the evil Amazon is taking over retail, but I ordered a tube of caulking and tools 10 days ago from CT, they were in stock, but they have yet to ship and their system is down so I can't even log into my account at this point. Next time: Amazon.

I would certainly suggest a note to their customer service folks.

That can be done here: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/customer-service/contact-us.html

Perhaps it would be useful, not necessarily for this particular situation, to flag our local CT expert on this issue as well; he might have some insight, or might be able to bring some back to CT.

@Tuscani01

Also, I haven't tried this w/CT; but you might consider with them specifically, getting to know your local store operator.

I find it remarkably helpful to be able to call someone; it can not only get you useful info; but often get you past certain hiccups.

On a broader note; and this is no way a critique of anyone here, I just observe there are lots of people who seem to settle when it comes to customer service.

I certainly don't raise concerns daily or weekly, or for that matter monthly; but when an issue really bothers me; I tend to do more than vent.

The other day I was in a Shoppers Well Wise; I picked up a device, brought it home, and found it didn't work.

The policy is now for online returns; I brought it back in person and successfully returned it.

My point is not one of self-congratulation, nor description of my entitlement.

I simply knew they were capable of doing the return, there was no reason they could not or should not, except for a silly, arbitrary policy; and so I asked.....very nicely......(really)..........and that was that.

It's amazing what you can change when you're insistent that it must.

If a retailer is doing a bad job of something.........do tell them.

It won't always get it fixed, but it will, far more often that you'd think.

I'm on the CT customer service panel thing, so I often get a chance to have my say. Calling our local store hasn't resulted in anything beyond "we'll get to your order when we get to it", which I understand given that there is a pandemic and a new way to do business, but I had more patience and sympathy during their first lockdown. They've now had almost a year to get this sorted. Loblaws stores, for example, did a terrible job of click and collect in the early days (2 week wait to get a slot), but they sorted it out and are much more efficient now.

I would certainly suggest a note to their customer service folks.

That can be done here: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/customer-service/contact-us.html

Perhaps it would be useful, not necessarily for this particular situation, to flag our local CT expert on this issue as well; he might have some insight, or might be able to bring some back to CT.

@Tuscani01

Also, I haven't tried this w/CT; but you might consider with them specifically, getting to know your local store operator.

I find it remarkably helpful to be able to call someone; it can not only get you useful info; but often get you past certain hiccups.

On a broader note; and this is no way a critique of anyone here, I just observe there are lots of people who seem to settle when it comes to customer service.

I certainly don't raise concerns daily or weekly, or for that matter monthly; but when an issue really bothers me; I tend to do more than vent.

The other day I was in a Shoppers Well Wise; I picked up a device, brought it home, and found it didn't work.

The policy is now for online returns; I brought it back in person and successfully returned it.

My point is not one of self-congratulation, nor description of my entitlement.

I simply knew they were capable of doing the return, there was no reason they could not or should not, except for a silly, arbitrary policy; and so I asked.....very nicely......(really)..........and that was that.

It's amazing what you can change when you're insistent that it must.

If a retailer is doing a bad job of something.........do tell them.

It won't always get it fixed, but it will, far more often that you'd think.

I vaguely recall earlier discussions with the resident 'CT guy' and recall even he admitted their website was wanting. It's a small town so I know our local manager/franchisee. He would have little control or input over the functioning of their online platform. I simply have trouble making it work - maybe it's me or my browser. My problem with CT, corporately, is their attempt to jam more and more stock into their stores. Our store is large but not huge, and it has gotten to the point of being unnavigable (when one could navigate). I doubt he has much control over what he required to stock.

I've really moved over to Home Hardware. They are a good Ontario-based company, their website works and they are often cheaper. Their Orillia store rivals Big Orange.

I agree with drawing the line with retailers, and those who rise to the occasion will be the winners, and Amazon is pretty decent. I received something the other day and, upon opening, determined it was crap; printed off the return label and mailed it back in the box it came in, on the same day. My primary argument with them is they can be a seller or re-seller of crap. In terms of electrical devices alone, they get away with selling non-NA certified components and fixtures that no brick-and-mortar retailer can legally do. Some of us can sort that out, but many homeowners find something that looks nice then can't figure out why it won't work on our grid.

Back in the Fall, I ordered a tonneau cover for my truck; ~$1300 and about 60lb, from an online retailer. I don't expect them to be completely water tight but found this one leaked - very slightly - at an odd location. I made a simple inquiry and was immediately told they were shipping me a new "part" and said just toss the old one (I find this is a typical online response since I suppose return shipping, re-stocking etc. just isn't worth it). Regardless, I received a complete new unit. They were willing to ship yet another, but this is obviously a design or production problem and I drew the line.

Sometimes both I and the retailer benefit from my feedback, sometimes I benefit from my future absence.

National Sports stores all closing despite parent-company Canadian Tire posting 'phenomenal' Q4 earnings

February 18, 2021

Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. says it's closing all its National Sports stores to reduce overlap in the company's sporting goods assortment after an internal evaluation.

All 18 of the retail stores across southern Ontario will be closing, Gregory Craig, the retailer's chief financial officer, told investors on Thursday.

"This has been a difficult decision, particularly due to its impact on people," he said during a conference call. "We're making every effort to place affected employees within our family of companies."

The company, which operates multiple retailers including Canadian Tire, Mark's, SportChek, Atmosphere, Sports Experts and Pro Hockey Life, made the announcement as it reported that its fourth-quarter profit and revenue both rose significantly compared with a year ago.

National Sports, which carries sportswear, shoes and gear, was launched in 1968 as National Gym Clothing Ltd., according to its website.

Closing National Sports is part of the company's strategy to increase operational efficiencies and focus on core assets, said Greg Hicks, president and CEO of Canadian Tire Corp.

Back