News   Apr 26, 2024
 159     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 163     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 595     0 

Canadian Tire

I think Fortinos are also franchise stores. Loblaw is also adding 'Great Food' stores. I've been to the one in Etobicoke on Burnamthorpe.

In Mississauga we have Loblaw Superstore and Loblaws. Etobicoke has a Loblaw Great Food. Brampton has a Real Canadian Superstore and Fortinos. They're all basically the same.

In the end it all just sounds like the Bob Loblaw Law Blog.

I was surprised with how much the Loblaw Great Food near me (Yonge and Yonge) had in terms of packaged gourmet food. Lots of Dufflet pastries too!

I really think Loblaws should consider consolidating its brands in English Canada, perhaps not as far as what Metro did, but have one consistent SuperStore brand, then start applying one consistent 'premium brand' (I doubt most people are tied dearly to Zehrs or Fortinos), one consistent discount brand.

That would make it easier for Loblaws workers to unionize and Galen just won't have that.

There are even more Loblaws brands in other parts of the country. In Atlantic Canada the brands are Real Atlantic Superstore and Save Easy. No one is really familiar with the Loblaws brand.

That would make it easier for Loblaws workers to unionize and Galen just won't have that.

I remember in the early 1990s A&P, after acquiring Dominion, started going crazy rebranding stores. An A&P near me in Brampton changed its name to "Super-Fresh" (and firing employees as A&P staff and rehiring as "Super-Fresh", only not long after, downsizing the store and making it a Food Basics. Then A&P played around, removing the Dominion stores in Brampton and replacing them with A&P. I'm sure that was to screw UFCW and lower wages.

Oshawa Group pulled the same stunt I believe as well with the Food City brand becoming IGA before being acquired by Empire Group (Sobey's).

I'm not sure you can fault them, with the competitive pressure from Wal-Mart.

I don't know which is the more horrendous experience - trying to find something in that store based on the aisle signage, or entering the nightmarish underground concourse at Union Station.

I don't know which is the more horrendous experience - trying to find something in that store based on the aisle signage, or entering the nightmarish underground concourse at Union Station.

lmao!

There is no aisle 1-8, there are 2 aisle 26's, after aisle 99 you get aisle 97, and downstairs, the middle aisles are numbered differently depending on what side of the store you are on. Its a mess... I agree.

Back to the food at Canadian Tire issue, there's an article in today's Star that mentions CT's experiments with groceries. The article is mostly about Loblaws deciding to hire more full-time staff, so I won't paste the entire thing into this thread, but the last few paragraphs do focus on Canadian Tire:

Canadian Tire Corp. said it planned to "substantially" cut its capital spending on new stores this year. It currently costs about $1 million to renovate a store but would like to get that down to $600,000 or lower, chief executive officer Stephen Wetmore said.

The automotive, leisure and household goods retailer said it is opening more smaller stores and also experimenting with sales of food.

"It's a very small experiment. It's two per cent (of the selling space) in one store and less than two per cent in the other store," Wetmore said. "I don't think Loblaw has anything to worry about."

However, customers of those stores are putting more food in their baskets than Canadian Tire had expected, Wetmore said.

So it might turn out that people are willing to buy groceries at a store with the word "Tire" in the name after all.

Back