News   May 06, 2024
 507     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 688     1 

Canadian Tire

Then don't use them.

Newer stores have the shared line for many checkouts model that WalMart uses. No barriers at all.

I can't stand Canadian Tire - I hate the self check out - I know other stores have them too. I find there stores depressing. They are useless as a hardware store - I can't remember how many times I've gone in asking for help and either you can't anyone or when you do the person is absolutely useless - probably because the staff seem to be all part-time teenagers (nothing against teenagers but they have no training). I find a huge difference when I go to real hardware store - like Dudleys on Church or even HomeDepot . And Canadian Tires home decor line and applicances isn't much to get excited about. HomeDepot is way above them on that basis too.

Canadian Tire does need a massive store layout redesign. So many people stare at the floor--why not put signs on the floor?

CT is recognizing the massive hole in their audience--the condo/apartment dweller. With so many empty condo retail units, now is the time to swoop in and grab some market share.

eg: City Place. Freedville. Yonge & Eglinton. Liberty Village. West Queen West. King Street East. Downtown Markham.

Last edited:
I wish Canadian Tire would figure out what kind of a store it's trying to be. It feels like they're trying to be everything (hardware, sporting goods, decor, housewares, automotive, etc) and they don't do any of them particularly well. I guess it's kind of OK for those days that I need a bag of kitty litter, a roll of hockey tape, and a half-inch drive ratchet, but then it bothers me that they don't have the brand of kitty litter the cats like, they've only got their cheap in-house brand tape, and I'm going to get stuck with a ratchet whose only redeeming quality is that it has a lifetime warranty so that I can get another POS ratchet from them six months down the road.

Interesting... I noticed a new smaller version of RONA that opened recently in Mississauga, on Dundas near Erindale Station Road. I didn't go in, but was amazed to see it there. It was a former BlockBuster location, so not a very large space!

Interesting... I noticed a new smaller version of RONA that opened recently in Mississauga, on Dundas near Erindale Station Road. I didn't go in, but was amazed to see it there. It was a former BlockBuster location, so not a very large space!

That sounds like it might be one of the Rona hardware stores, that have been around for a long time, rather than one of their small boxes.

I wish Canadian Tire would figure out what kind of a store it's trying to be. It feels like they're trying to be everything (hardware, sporting goods, decor, housewares, automotive, etc) and they don't do any of them particularly well.

How is this different then any other big box store?

Canadian Tire does need a massive store layout redesign. So many people stare at the floor--why not put signs on the floor?

CT is recognizing the massive hole in their audience--the condo/apartment dweller. With so many empty condo retail units, now is the time to swoop in and grab some market share.

eg: City Place. Freedville. Yonge & Eglinton. Liberty Village. West Queen West. King Street East. Downtown Markham.

We are already retrofitting every single store. Hundreds have been completed or nearing completion, and many more are in line to go through the changes. Some signs are now on the floor, especially a large one at the entrance, however, these signs are quite difficult for stores to remove. Canadian Tire already has one of the youngest store layouts out of any retailer in Canada, as it gets changed every 5 years or so. There will also be new technology rolling into stores towards the end of the year that will provide more information on product to both store staff and customers.

As for home appliances and Home Depot being on top... That is only true for major appliances, which Canadian Tire isn't in the business of selling. In terms of small kitchen appliances, Canadian Tire is the number one retailer in Canada, selling more than any of the competition. The new store layout expands on the assortment and places it right at the entrance of every store to show it off.

Last edited:
I sometimes go to Canadian Tire instead of Home Hardware thinking that the greater selection at Canadian Tire will be worth the hassle. I always regret it. At the typical Home Hardware you can find someone knowledgeable to answer your question in a few seconds, and they will take the time to walk with you and show the item to you and answer any questions you might have.

In the typical Canadian Tire it will take 10 minutes to find anyone at all, then you have to wait another two or three while they help someone else, then they will give you the wrong answer and go off to help someone else before you can figure out that the answer wasn't helpful. To be fair Home Depot is just as bad.

I sometimes go to Canadian Tire instead of Home Hardware thinking that the greater selection at Canadian Tire will be worth the hassle. I always regret it. At the typical Home Hardware you can find someone knowledgeable to answer your question in a few seconds, and they will take the time to walk with you and show the item to you and answer any questions you might have.

In the typical Canadian Tire it will take 10 minutes to find anyone at all, then you have to wait another two or three while they help someone else, then they will give you the wrong answer and go off to help someone else before you can figure out that the answer wasn't helpful. To be fair Home Depot is just as bad.

I agree !

But lets be honest this is the same at every big box store for the most part. Home Hardware tends to have more local / smaller stores

I can't stand Canadian Tire - I hate the self check out - I know other stores have them too. I find there stores depressing. They are useless as a hardware store - I can't remember how many times I've gone in asking for help and either you can't anyone or when you do the person is absolutely useless - probably because the staff seem to be all part-time teenagers (nothing against teenagers but they have no training). I find a huge difference when I go to real hardware store - like Dudleys on Church or even HomeDepot . And Canadian Tires home decor line and applicances isn't much to get excited about. HomeDepot is way above them on that basis too.
In 1951 I was a 16 year old student working part time at an Aikinheads (sp) store, I didn't know hardware from software which I guess hadn't even been invented yet.
La plus ca change.......................

We are already retrofitting every single store. Hundreds have been completed or nearing completion, and many more are in line to go through the changes. Some signs are now on the floor, especially a large one at the entrance, however, these signs are quite difficult for stores to remove. Canadian Tire already has one of the youngest store layouts out of any retailer in Canada, as it gets changed every 5 years or so. There will also be new technology rolling into stores towards the end of the year that will provide more information on product to both store staff and customers.

As for home appliances and Home Depot being on top... That is only true for major appliances, which Canadian Tire isn't in the business of selling. In terms of small kitchen appliances, Canadian Tire is the number one retailer in Canada, selling more than any of the competition. The new store layout expands on the assortment and places it right at the entrance of every store to show it off.

Let's say I'm looking for tools. Why not have a 3D tool sign on the floor? The aisle lettering should be bigger.

Could each department be colour coded for clarity?

Sounds like you're going for touchscreens.

Agreed. i go to Home Hardware. Less busy and the staff is available to help you.

Last time i was at Home Depot i had a cart load full of odds and ends. The girl at the cash told me she was closing the cash and instructed to me use the self check out. I'm not a cashier! So i just left the cart there and walked out.

I look at Costco for small appliances. I might not find what I'm looking for but if I do I know Costco stands behind what they sell (unlike CT and their draconian return policies) and Costco doesn't sell returned or damaged goods. It seems an unusual number of the boxes on the shelves at Canadian Tire look like they've been previously opened or were really roughly handled in transit. Now that Canadian Tire is only giving 1% back in CT money I can't think of a reason to shop there anymore.

Back