News   Jul 15, 2024
 96     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 605     1 

Canadian media & the CRTC

Let's see what happens. Let's remember that it's an iconic venue for both, CityTV and MM. They still might work out a deal of sorts that would allow both to remain at this location.

I would really hope so. It's unfortunate to see the CHUM empire carved up like this.

Rogers picked up the CityTV stations.
...based on regulatory approval. Rogers is now in the position that Bell was and the CRTC will almost certainly force them to sell their OMNI stations. So the dominoes continue to fall.

CFTO on Queen W? City-TV on Lake Shore Blvd? Torstar picking up OMNI and moving it to 1 Yonge St?

The CRTC is absolutely useless these days and is an embarrassment.

Among the screw-ups:

- Giving the last conventional TV licence to Craig for Toronto 1, then having that end up in the hands of the Toronto Sun/Quebecor
- Giving a conventional TV licence to fundamentalist Christian television, giving it primo space on Cable and Satellite, while an existing interfaith/non-denominational cable station is pushed to the fringes.
- The lifting of ad time on our public airwaves
- Simulcasting rights that allow double exposure for stations
- Watering down Can-Con laws for the benefit of the Love Boat Network, er, Global
- The rubber-stamping of rate increase applications.

CHUM is being eaten away, a terrible shame. CHUM was always a bit different, and at least another voice versus CTVgm and CrapWest.

Charlie Rose is still on PBS, Saturday Night at the Movies & Masterworks (hey - Ken Burns FLW doc starts soon!) is still on TVO, the Movie Channels are still on with the welcome addition of TMC and AMC. Otherwise, that machine has an off button that works just fine.

Not getting cable when I moved just may be the best decision I ever made. I don't give a rat's ass which shit-producing media company A buys which stations from shit-producing media company B. Don't know, don't care.

It will be interesting to see how the split between CITY and CP24 is made.

It will be interesting to see how CTV ends up using the City space (if they use it at all) and what they do with CP24 (a useful local news channel).

City has not done interesting programming in over 15 years and I do not suspect that Rogers will facilitate a change in direction (they will not be showing less American tv, that is for sure). And I wonder if CTV will turn CP24 into an extention of their local newscast, like City did with theirs.

Bah Humbug

Wow, I have to say that when I read this article it really upset me more than I would have thought. I have difficulty envisioning Queen West without CityTV on the corner of John. Even though I'm well past the age where'd I'd wait aorund outside to see a band at MuchMusic, something about that venue just says "Queen West" to me. It's a true Toronto landmark and a tourist destination.

If they move, Queen West really will become nothing left but a giant outdoor shopping mall. Next thing you know the 'Shoe and the Rivoli will close their doors, too.

I already dislike the Rogers corporation for their shoddy and indifferent Internet and cable services. Now they want to ruin CityTV as well... and if they screw up CP24, what channel will I turn to when there's nothing on (which is 99% of the time?)

I would like to think Torontonians will protest this move and make them change their minds. But sadly, indifference seems to rule in Toronto. There'll be a couple mopey newspaper articles, the station will move to some anonymous building in the burbs, and Queen and John will be turned into the latest multi-level H & M.

I guess you can't stop "progress".

fiendish,

Not getting cable when I moved just may be the best decision I ever made. I don't give a rat's ass which shit-producing media company A buys which stations from shit-producing media company B. Don't know, don't care.

Totally.

Not to hijack the convo, but it seems that men just don't give a shit about TV anymore. Most guys I know watch the tube less and less and many (myself included) don't even bother having a TV at all. As a result, network television has become very femme as of late, which gives me even less reason to get cable.

The internet is our TV, as the gender demographics on this forum would seem to attest.

Most guys I know watch the tube less and less and many (myself included) don't even bother having a TV at all.

Though I havent seen any numbers to go along with that suggestion, it does like it would probably be true. I haven't had a tv in years and though it was sort of odd at first now I don't think twice about. The only thing I miss are CBC, Radio-Canada, and TV Ontario. But with more and more content available for streaming online, its basically a non issue.

3 years is long enough that plans and ownership could change again. Even so, it isn't much of a big deal. TV is likely to find itself getting smashed in the next decade so changes are inevitable. What I see as a bigger concern is ownership and the decline in newspapers and the rise in cross media content.

Wow, I have to say that when I read this article it really upset me more than I would have thought. I have difficulty envisioning Queen West without CityTV on the corner of John. Even though I'm well past the age where'd I'd wait aorund outside to see a band at MuchMusic, something about that venue just says "Queen West" to me. It's a true Toronto landmark and a tourist destination.

If they move, Queen West really will become nothing left but a giant outdoor shopping mall. Next thing you know the 'Shoe and the Rivoli will close their doors, too.

I already dislike the Rogers corporation for their shoddy and indifferent Internet and cable services. Now they want to ruin CityTV as well... and if they screw up CP24, what channel will I turn to when there's nothing on (which is 99% of the time?)

I would like to think Torontonians will protest this move and make them change their minds. But sadly, indifference seems to rule in Toronto. There'll be a couple mopey newspaper articles, the station will move to some anonymous building in the burbs, and Queen and John will be turned into the latest multi-level H & M.

I guess you can't stop "progress".

I agree, though I can't blame Rogers for this. I blame the CRTC. Part of the agreement with CTVglobemedia stipulates that they retain the right to use the building, so Rogers doesn't really have a choice.

Ideally they'd be able to come to an agreement which allows both MuchMusic and CityTV to use the space, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen at this point.

It's very difficult to envision the two seperate. I also can't understand how CTVglobemedia can be allowed to control two major music TV brands (Much and MTV). Looks like we just may be seeing the end of a terrific Toronto institution.

I stopped watching TV years ago. I found it either boring or annoying. Don't miss it at all.

I wonder what will become of 299 Queen W?

It makes sense to me that CTV is keeping the Citytv building. Many of the events that are held there now are related to MuchMusic which CTV is keeping. Likely the singers and celebs will still go to this building on Queen St. It wasn't BT and FT that filled Queen St with gawkers. I just hope they keep Citytv downtown rather than moving it to the inner burbs where CTV's local station is located. Maybe after Citytv moves out their CTV operations in North York would move in.

It makes sense to me that CTV is keeping the Citytv building. Many of the events that are held there now are related to MuchMusic which CTV is keeping. Likely the singers and celebs will still go to this building on Queen St. It wasn't BT and FT that filled Queen St with gawkers. I just hope they keep Citytv downtown rather than moving it to the inner burbs where CTV's local station is located. Maybe after Citytv moves out their CTV operations in North York would move in.

Rogers will own CityTV so CTVglobemedia won't really have any say with what goes on. I'd think Rogers would be smart enough to keep them all downtown - perhaps near the Rogers Centre with Sportsnet. Dundas Square would be a good spot too.

I don't watch much TV either...it's not really that aspect I'm disappointed about. I just found CityTV and Much made very good use of the building in a fairly unique way. Speakers Corner itself is a pretty well known local institution that hopefully doesn't bite the dust.

Back