News   Apr 26, 2024
 856     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 255     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 755     0 

CampusCommon (50 Gerrard E, student rental @ Church St, 12s, Burgess)

Well, that Jarvis project is close enough to this 50 Gerrard one that 50 Gerrard looks that much worse in comparison.

Developers should be required to hire architects when constructing buildings.

from 6th floor of the Sally Horsfall Eaton building at Ryerson (forgive the quality, taken from indoors through a window)

That is a terrific shot. Such a wild variation of design and architecture in that capture. It's a real "Toronto" photograph. Thanks Marcus!

There's an article in the week's Eyeopener (Ryerson Tabloid) stating that the Ryerson Rowing Team are all moving in to this building to make scheduling training easier. Apparently the management has donated training space for them to use.

So obviously the demand is there, as expensive and hideous as it may be.

Well, that Jarvis project is close enough to this 50 Gerrard one that 50 Gerrard looks that much worse in comparison.

Developers should be required to hire architects when constructing buildings.

Actually I think Paul Reuber of DTAH is the architect for this project. That said, it's clear that the city needs to have more control over what is NOT to be used in terms of materials in Toronto buildings. I thought the massing and overall design is fine - but gawd, the materials really killed it. It would have been very easy on the eyes if it was brick instead...

AoD

its similar to the Hugh Garner in its use of colour(bearing in mind the HG has faded quite a bit), maybe it will fade as well?

june07014.jpg

from 6th floor of the Sally Horsfall Eaton building at Ryerson (forgive the quality, taken from indoors through a window)

I don't feel quite the same loathing towards this project as I used to, but imagine how much nicer it would have been if the podium was a bit higher, and acknolwedged the rooflines on either side?

There is what appears to be a sister building serving the same purpose and using the same materials and colour palette on Main Street West on the border between Hamilton and Dundas.

There is what appears to be a sister building serving the same purpose and using the same materials and colour palette on Main Street West on the border between Hamilton and Dundas.

I haven't seen it but if that's the new student residence that opened in September, my niece lives there. She - along with several dozen other Mac students arrived over Labour Day weekend with pre-signed leases to find that construction wasn't complete and had no where to go. The developer put up many students in a main floor area on cots and others were placed into nearby motels/hotels. My niece finally got moved into her unit the 3rd week of September while construction continued above.

Strangely, from this angle I don't have as much loathing for it as I do from street level. But still, I wish it didn't look like it was built over a weekend using heavy duty cardboard in some sort of grade 5 student experiment.

I'd love to hear from someone who was connected with this... Are they proud of this?

It looks "good" now. So did red granite pseudo-pediments and zigzags a quarter century ago

Back