News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Cabbagetown

My best outing at Stout was worse than my worst night at HOP. Loud music, slow indifferent service, sub-par but pricey food. I'd rather the Ben Wick's.

The food sucks at Stout. But we only go for the cider and move elsewhere.

House hasn't been as amazing as it used to be since it was discovered by the rest of TO.The last 5 times, either I or my bf got sick after eating there (...we always get the side spinach salad and we are surmising they don't wash the greens well enough) and that one server with the blonde hair basically throws your food at you if you're not a daily/weekly regular. We certainly used to visit at least once a week and haven't since the Autumn on account of the various issues we've had.

or House (although the last 5 times, it's been bad.. but we've been going there since 05).
I liked the old House location, and had Sunday dinner there at least once a month from 1998 until it moved. I went to the new place twice, and it just doesn't grab me as a true British pub look. It could be a fancy wine bar or boutique restaurant now. And the staff are nasty now.

I wish the food at Stout wasn't rubbish. I've been there for breakfast and the food arrives wet and cold, went for lunch on a Saturday post 12pm and was told that I had to order brunch not a burger, and "brunch" arrived cold and gross. Last time I was there my wife ordered a salad and they must have just chopped up a head of lettuce and dropped it in - my wife asked the owner if this was good and they replaced it, but I'll not eat there again. Honestly, the owner of Stout (admittedly cute blonde woman) needs to get a proper cook.

Last edited:
I have always had good dinners at Stout. It's one of the better pubs in the area. Although i ate there early before it got super packed.

Perhaps I need to give it another try. Any recommendations as to what to get?
Personal fave is the Tom Yum (Lemongrass Soup) followed by either the Omi Sushi or Omi Sashimi (always the days best fish).

House hasn't been as amazing as it used to be since it was discovered by the rest of TO...
I can still vouch for the HoP's Scotch Eggs. Had one the other night and they are a delight!

Thanks for the snow-removal info

I've used Raymond Sykes, who lives near Cabbagetown. His number is 647-668-4352. He shovels laneways and sidewalks for me - more of a cleanup guy than a professional gardiner. In Fall/11 his labor rate is $13/hr (may have gone up - I changed tenants and got the new ones to shovel themselves).

I got in touch with Raymond and I've been using him all winter. Very dependable. He shows up AFTER the snowfall which makes a difference. I see some hired guys shovelling at 7 in the morning when a storm might still be going full blast. What's the point of that?

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Personal fave is the Tom Yum (Lemongrass Soup) followed by either the Omi Sushi or Omi Sashimi (always the days best fish).

I can still vouch for the HoP's Scotch Eggs. Had one the other night and they are a delight!

We've been in Cabbagetown nine years and have been going to the HoP maybe once or twice a month. Personally I like the new location because it's bigger and we're more likely to get a table. It used to be you showed up and took your chances. I've tried most things on the menu before and after the move and there's been absolutely no change in the quality. I have no complaints about the staff either, I mean, everybody is allowed a good day and a bad day on occasion.

I'm glad that there's a neighbourhood business that is stable and busy. We need to support these places. It keeps Parliament from turning into the sad sack street it's always on the edge of turning into.

On the subject of new places, I hope the Rexall get's busier. Whenever I'm in there. on any given day at any given time, I'm the only person there. I don't understand why anyone would keep going to the pit below Carlton. I like the people that work there but my god, that has to be the only Shoppers in Canada that hasn't had the corporate facelift. What's up with that? Aren't there franchise rules? Just to be clear, in case I sound superficial, the real reason I switched is because the Shoppers could no longer seem to stock one of my medications on a regular basis. I went to my doctor to have him switch me to another drug and He said "what the hell, switch pharmacies. This is not a third-world country."

I got in touch with Raymond and I've been using him all winter. Very dependable. He shows up AFTER the snowfall which makes a difference. I see some hired guys shovelling at 7 in the morning when a storm might still be going full blast. What's the point of that?

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Glad it worked out. I was actually surprised how great Raymond was (expectations for these types of guys are usually pretty low, but Raymond a gem). I think he also does spring/summer/fall yard work too. Is the phone number 647-668-4352 still correct, and is his rate still $13/hr?

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but the building it's housed in is for sale.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12381425&PidKey=1008191305

It's been for sale for a while... It was actually sold conditional a little while ago... I thought it were the new owners coming in to ripping things apart... I have to go back to my sources now...

On a side note, the restaurant had another three years to go on their lease last time I was checking the numbers on the building. They did good business in the summer because of their huge patio but not so good over the winter months...

Back