News   Apr 18, 2024
 575     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Cabbagetown

I have to think the same folks bitching about the daycare are those that fought against the blue canopy at the splash pad. https://cabbagetowner.com/wellesley-park-splash-pad-july-update/

However, given there is no space for automobile drop-offs, and we know even those residing nearby will still drive Precious to daycare, I can see this location as not being ideal.

The best place for daycare in Cabbagetown is the essentially abandoned St. Martin Catholic School site at 55 Salisbury Ave.

stmartins.jpg

My kids jokingly call it the "Jail School" due to its bars in the windows, asphalt yard, high fences and its small, rarely-seen student body made up of recalcitrant, last-resort young adults.

St. Martin's would be an ideal daycare location, with tons of parking, a secure yard and possibilities for an easy off street drop off area. Though I expect the TSCB will sell it off once their new school is built at Parliament and Shuter, thus likely sparking new fights between any possible developer and the www.cabbagetownpa.ca and https://cabbagetowner.com/

Last edited:
It's also far larger of a facility than being contemplated here. Several orders of magnitude larger.
I wasn't thinking of taking over the whole school, but that the school could offer day care. Many schools do this, and St. Martin's was originally an elementary school, so should have the foundations of suitable facilities and space.

The best place for daycare in Cabbagetown is the essentially abandoned St. Martin Catholic School site at 55 Salisbury Ave.

stmartins.jpg

Actually, for this site I would love a low-rise condo - maybe 4-5 stories with setbacks. I bet you could add 40 or so units on that space. It would add vibrancy...and now I'm dreaming about Park Snacks getting a liquor license, or a craft brewery! Mmmm!

The best fix for the traffic worry is to make it a no-stopping zone. And, to enforce that, put residential parking on both sides of the street. That would also help slow down traffic.

Ever since that girl was killed in Leaside, when I drive I count to three at every stop sign, and look. And on Sackville St. in CT I almost get rear ended by those who prefer to roll through. Anything that slows down CT traffic. is a good thing

The best fix for the traffic worry is to make it a no-stopping zone. And, to enforce that, put residential parking on both sides of the street. That would also help slow down traffic.

How would that work? People are going to want to drive their kids to the daycare, and how are they going to drop them off if they can't stop? They're either going to ignore the law, or drop them off slightly further away (probably the former). I originally thought this was a blue splashpad canopy issue all over again, but thinking about 80 cars all stopping off by the daycare twice a day, I understand the opposition. This just isn't the spot for a daycare.

How would that work? People are going to want to drive their kids to the daycare, and how are they going to drop them off if they can't stop? They're either going to ignore the law, or drop them off slightly further away (probably the former). I originally thought this was a blue splashpad canopy issue all over again, but thinking about 80 cars all stopping off by the daycare twice a day, I understand the opposition. This just isn't the spot for a daycare.
i suppose the hope was that this would appeal to parents who would walk to the daycare, being local. But yeah, this isn't the place.

No. Only a minority some will (or do, or would have...). Not all cars would arrive at once, and the site has 3 temp parking spots.
One thing that always made me chuckle a little when my kids were young were the trophy-wife stay at home Yoga moms who would, to their credit, walk to drop off their kids at daycare and then head over to Jet Fuel.

Bought glassses at Parliament Optical this week. I fly to Asia next week, so need the glasses asap. Well, knock at my door last night and the owner is on my doorstep hand delivering my glasses! I can’t say enough about them.

If you’re looking to support Cabbagetown retailers, I recommend http://parliamentoptical.com/

We moved into Cabbagetown in 1998 in our mid 20s. Back then we didn't have the millionaire lawyers and financial folks. It was a different time. For starters, my wife stayed home with the kids until they were eight years old, before returning to work. That's not an option for many, but if you've got a new top level Merc or BMW and fancy vacays, etc., it does start to look like a life choice to outsource your childcare.

Anyway, on diapers. We have twins, and in the days before David Miller brought in the green bin we had a diaper service pick up our disposables from a big bin on the front porch. We didn't want them going to land fill. And one day the collection guy saw us coming out and said, oh, now I understand, you have twins, because of the massive amount of diapers. I can only imagine what a daycare would produce.

A 35-year-old woman has been charged in connection with a fatal collision in Cabbagetown that occurred back in September.

Emergency crews were called to Nuthatch Lane and Doctor O Lane, near Carlton and Ontario streets, around 4 p.m. on Sept. 21. When officers arrived on scene, they found a 57-year-old man suffering from “severe trauma.” The man was transported to the hospital, but later succumbed to his injuries. Toronto police originally believed the man had been assaulted, but a post-mortem examination revealed that he had been struck by a vehicle.

A suspect was taken into custody on Thursday. Michelle Shemilt, 35, was arrested Thursday, charged with leaving the accident scene resulting in bodily harm then death, and causing death by criminal negligence.

Assuming there are not two people with this name in Toronto, she's a minor celebrity who has been on Dragon's Den and operates a woman's undergarments retailer. One wonders how you can live with yourself knowing you killed someone and then hide it. Maybe she finally cracked and confessed.

Back