News   Apr 18, 2024
 472     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Cabbagetown

^ Hell yes, it would be! But new builds tend to be in the fashion I talked about earlier. The city should have way more rules around how building on high streets are built. It's going to start looking like Markham around here, if we're not careful.

Skeezix, thanks for pointing that out. D-doye.

AB - those would be ideal!

My understanding is that the LCBO underbuilds on sites it already owns (and presumably bought for a song at some point in the past - the single storey store at King & Spadina comes to mind as well). There are countless Beer Stores as well that are single-story with a huge parkinglot which vastly underuses the space.

For the Esso site, LCBO would need to buy the land...likley at vast expense. Would it do that when it already has a store 1 block away (and more in the centre of the Cabbagetown retail strip)? Even if an LCBO does pop up there, I would think it would have to be in a ground floor retail rental of a multi storey condo, just to make the purchase price work.

At least the Beer Stores are usually stores built decades ago by Brewers Retail when things were very different than they are today.

It's wild there are 3 large-parking-lot Beer Stores on the downtown east side (Parliament, River, and Gerrard). Surely 1 or 2 of these can go. I've only been to my local Parliament St one to return empties.

It's wild there are 3 large-parking-lot Beer Stores on the downtown east side (Parliament, River, and Gerrard). Surely 1 or 2 of these can go. I've only been to my local Parliament St one to return empties.
I haven't been to a beer store in years. I just hate the buying experience, especially in my neighbourhood, with the dirty entrance, walls, counters and floors, muttering guys smelling like piss begging out front, the disinterested staff, and what's with the beer in the back - let me get it myself thanks?

I buy all my brews at the LCBO, usually at the Queen's Quay location. It may look like a suburban store, but compared to LCBO on Parliament, it has a great selection, easy parking, clean and neat conditions both inside and out, and not a loon insight (beyond those in the lake).

I haven't been to a beer store in years. I just hate the buying experience, especially in my neighbourhood, with the dirty entrance, walls, counters and floors, muttering guys smelling like piss begging out front, the disinterested staff, and what's with the beer in the back - let me get it myself thanks?

I too haven't given the Parliament St Beer Store a dime - I only return empties there.

In addition to the LCBO, I would suggest the Amsterdam Brewery in Leaside. Blonde (lager) and Big Wheel (ale) are cheap by the 24 - about $32, and you get an extra one free so it's nearly a buck a beer. Room temperature Big Wheel approximates an English bitter if you're so inclined. You can even get Boneshaker or Cruiser in a 24 for $39, which is an amazing price for a hoppy craft beer...and far cheaper than buying 4 6-packs at the LCBO.

Don't bother looking for cans of Collingwood Brewery Vintage Ale at the QQ LCBO. I bought the shelf.

Last edited:
Last edited:

The Parliament Beer Store is by far the best one east of Yonge and west of Jones. The empty returns are at least separate from the purchase area, and you can grab some beers off a shelf. That being said, I never go there, either. The closest one to my house is the Gerrard store, and I bring a shiv when i have to go there.

I hang out at Kingyo all the time. Definitely my favourite Japanese restaurant in the city. Great interior layout, food, and friendly staff. Several quality places in the Cabbagetown area. Also a fan of Kanpai and Under the Table.

Last edited:
The Parliament Beer Store is by far the best one east of Yonge and west of Jones. The empty returns are at least separate from the purchase area, and you can grab some beers off a shelf. That being said, I never go there, either. The closest one to my house is the Gerrard store, and I bring a shiv when i have to go there.
Taking out the Gerrard store and building low rise residential with storefront commercial would dramatically improve that area.

Spring has sprung. 456/458/460 Parliament remains under construction, but new businesses to the north (including Meridian Credit Union) have opened up more recently. The Jet Fuel sign has been taken down, refurbished, and (as of yesterday morning) replaced. It's the 25th anniversary of the Jet on April 1, and you all know what that means. Are the Forsythia Festival posters up yet?

Apparently the Gerrard beer store space is being demolished and built into condos, but the more gentrified locals (I suppose that includes me) are annoyed that a beer store is included in the rebuild.

EDIT - here are the details http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/02/mid-rise-residential-replace-beer-store-gerrard-east

Back