News   Apr 26, 2024
 89     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 319     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

Cabbagetown

I've lived in Cabbagetown since 1998 when my newly married wife and I bought our semi. Except for three years in Fredericton, NB, we haven't lived anywhere since. We love CT, the walkability, the canopy of trees, and closeness to transit and the DVP, the parks, dogs, families, etc, etc. Yes, there are some shady folks, but that makes the neighbourhood stronger, since there's an almost siege mentality, where everyone is watching out for each other - for example, in the warmer months, you'll always find me an my neighbours on our front porches, wine in one hand, book or tablet in the other. In the 'burbs we'd all be in the basement or perhaps backyard.

It's not perfect of course. For example the local schools are hit or miss, but I would never choose a home based on the school. Instead we send our kids to a school out of district, and keep CT.

Also saying Cabbagetown is surrounded by St. Jamestown and Regent Park isn't fair. I lived on Sackville Place and both Regent Park and St. Jamestown felt far away, both due to distance, and street grid. Also Regent Park has changed radically in the past 5 years; literally demolished and replaced with a very different mix of people.

EDIT: I live in Regent Park now and my unit's rent per month is comparable, or slightly higher even, than the same size unit in Cityplace.

Last edited:
Also Regent Park has changed radically in the past 5 years; literally demolished and replaced with a very different mix of people.
It's very true. One of the big changes demographically was the removal of the couch surfers - the folks who were illegally renting space from other legal residents.

Ginger has closed. They have been there for at least 7 years. A landlord notice on the door says rent was in arrears. Interesting as that space was just renovated.

Ginger has closed. They have been there for at least 7 years. A landlord notice on the door says rent was in arrears. Interesting as that space was just renovated.

So strange. It was always relatively busy and, as you said, they just renovated. Hope they resolve this and open back up.

Neighbourhood update!

The delapidated "Y.J.s Dream Mart" is closing, according to the the two dozen hand made cardboard and sharpie pen signs now plastered all over the windows. Dollarama probably did them in. I'd love to see that building and it's northern neighbour demolished for an infill project.

I am saddend that another summer is coming with the row of houses at the old HoP location still boarded up and unsightly. It's a real drag on the neighbourhood. There is so much business potential being lost there.

On a more positive note, the project to gut, renovate, and ad a floor to the building that will house The Source is moving along quickly. You can already see the new Penthouse unit from the street.

I tried a pork burrito from the new place at Gerrard and Parliament. It tasted average. They don't seem to have many customers whenever I pass.

Last edited:
On a more positive note, the project to gut, renovate, and add a floor to the building that will house The Source is moving along quickly. You can already see the new Penthouse unit from the street.

It's funny, The Source is a client of ours and I was talking to one of their marketing guys about their new store opening up on Parliment and he said, we don't have any stores opening on Parliment. Weird. Are we talking about the electronics retailer?

It's funny, The Source is a client of ours and I was talking to one of their marketing guys about their new store opening up on Parliment and he said, we don't have any stores opening on Parliment. Weird. Are we talking about the electronics retailer?

I assume so. This information comes from here: http://oldstonehenge.com/portfolio/433-435-parliament-street/

They use their logo and everything. Maybe he doesn't know because it will be many months before the space is actually ready.

Back