News   May 06, 2024
 334     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 723     0 

Cabbagetown

Queen and Parliament? That's not too far for a TD, at least for south Cabbagetowners.
Queen and Parliament is not in Cabbagetown, regardless of what real estate agents may call it. Cabbagetown is bordered by Gerrard, DVP/West Riverdale Park, Necropolis/St.James cemetery and Parliament. One could argue that the housing and Winchester PS west of Parliament up to about St. Peter's church on Bleeker is also in Cabbagetown, and I'm fine with that, as arguments over borders can be passionate in CT, but Queen and Parliament is a stretch.

"Toronto's Cabbagetown remains only a memory to those who lived in it when it was a slum. Less than half a mile long and even narrower from north to south, it was situated in the east-central part of the city, its boundaries being Parliament Street on the west, Gerrard Street on the north, the Don River on the east and Queen Street on the south. The slum area south of Queen Street was once called Corktown and was inhabited by Irish Catholic immigrants. To the west of Parliament Street was and is Moss Park, a neighbourhood now the temporary home or lighting place of a more transient type of slum-dweller. This neighbourhood is sometimes referred to as Cabbagetown, as is the area north of Gerrard,but this is an error."

- From Hugh Garner's Preface to his novel Cabbagetown

"Toronto's Cabbagetown remains only a memory to those who lived in it when it was a slum. Less than half a mile long and even narrower from north to south, it was situated in the east-central part of the city, its boundaries being Parliament Street on the west, Gerrard Street on the north, the Don River on the east and Queen Street on the south. The slum area south of Queen Street was once called Corktown and was inhabited by Irish Catholic immigrants. To the west of Parliament Street was and is Moss Park, a neighbourhood now the temporary home or lighting place of a more transient type of slum-dweller. This neighbourhood is sometimes referred to as Cabbagetown, as is the area north of Gerrard,but this is an error."

Correct. I believe after Regent Park was built in place of Cabbagetown, the name migrated up north.

Perhaps Beez can do a title-swap with Rosedale ... and put even more psychological distance between his gated community and them scary folks with guns and hypodermics who live south of Gerrard.

Great book! I loved reading it last year.

That's a different Cabbagetown, and most in today's CT know full well that their neighbourhood is in fact the old Donvale community. It's the same how in Cabbagetown we talk of having lots of Victorian houses, when much of the CT housing was built after 1901, when good Queen Vic was in her grave (and don't tell me it's about the style of home, not the era, since then any suburbian house with Victorian-eqse trim could claim the same name). My house, built in 1905'ish, is clearly Edwardian. It's all about a state of mind, people wanted to say they lived in Cabbagetown in Victorian houses, and thus made it so. This is the same mindset that someone in Queen & Parliament uses to state that they live in Cabbagetown.

Hey guys, Coffee Time is back!

Dilla's 3am java-cravings can again be quenched!

No, no, no. As much as I love terrible coffee purchased whilst surrounded by a silent armada of hobos, it was the cigarettes I NEEDED. After they shut down I was S.O.L after 10pm! It's a corporate run location now though, so they may not sell smokes. I'll find out soon enough.

Roy, you work at Del-Ray dry cleaning place up by Wellesley, right? I need to have some cleaning and fixings done to a very expensive coat, and I'm told you guys are the best. I'll be coming in this weekend.

Also, I posted the video of the couch toboggan on my facebook page, and it turns out one of my friends knows one of the people involved in its creation. I'm working on getting a ride on it. Yes, that's the hill at Riverdale park they're using it on.

Last edited:
Roy, you work at Del-Ray dry cleaning place up by Wellesley, right? I need to have some cleaning and fixings done to a very expensive coat, and I'm told you guys are the best. I'll be coming in this weekend.

Not at all... lol.

Although, It's amazing and quite random that you think this.

On topic, I get my alterations done at Carlton Cleaners, and am completely satisfied.

Ok, ok, I knew I wasn't THAT crazy. Go to page 14 in this thread, you'll see...

Took a coat to Del Ray on Parliament this morning. They really are the best. Last month they cleaned a tweed overcoat that I inherited from my father, mended the lining, and made it look as new as it was in 1965.

which you then quote and reply...

You're welcome!

What else was I to think?

again, from http://www.cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

View+from+southwest.jpg

JavaVille Report
For the past several weeks, the owner of 493 Parliament and his architect have been meeting people from Cabbagetown to hammer out an acceptable final design for the exterior of this building. They’ve met the Board from the BIA, members of the Don Vale Cabbagetown Residents Association, the Heritage District advisory committee, Board members from the CPA and several local architects. Local neighbours have also attended these meetings. Pam McConnell and her staff have been to each session.
At the same time, the owner’s request for variances on density and parking has been sent to the City’s Committee of Adjustment. City planners have come to these community meetings to assess the progress toward some degree of community approval.
What’s the result?
1) Go to this link to see cardboard models of the building in its actual site: Neighbourhood events.
2) Drawings and plans will be available for viewing at the BIA office, 237 Carlton Street.
3) The Committee of Adjustment will hear the owner’s request on Wednesday, February 4 at 10 am. You can get details about the address and about making a presentation from Sean McIntyre (Pam McConnell’s office) at 416-392-0207.
4) A second set of approvals must also happen: with the site plan. If you have comments or you want to support or oppose the design, ask Sean McIntyre about the procedure for this.

Last edited:
Ok, ok, I knew I wasn't THAT crazy. Go to page 14 in this thread, you'll see...

which you then quote and reply...

What else was I to think?

Odd. It must have been a misquote on my part.

RE: JAVAVILLE:

That building is so "meh" to me, and that corner is far too important for a "meh" building. I am realistic, and realize it won't get much better. Do you know if it has a flat roof? I hope not.

Queen and Parliament is not in Cabbagetown, regardless of what real estate agents may call it. Cabbagetown is bordered by Gerrard, DVP/West Riverdale Park, Necropolis/St.James cemetery and Parliament. One could argue that the housing and Winchester PS west of Parliament up to about St. Peter's church on Bleeker is also in Cabbagetown, and I'm fine with that, as arguments over borders can be passionate in CT, but Queen and Parliament is a stretch.

Oh, sorry my bad. I didn't realize you couldn't walk past your district's boundaries. I'm so silly.

p.s. Thanks for the border lesson.

Last edited:

Back