1.4K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 551     0 

Builder's Decor Centre

MissEgoGrande

Member Bio
Reaction score
Good morning to all!

My brand new condo is to be completed in June of 2011. Currently, I'm working with the design centre (Lanterra) and the upgrades cost an arm and a leg. I went there on Thursday (yesterday) and they expect me to make a decision on Tuesday. Pricing is crazy.

$5600 for upgraded hardwood in the living/dining room -17' x 20' and den 10' x 9'
$2300 for upgraded hardwood in the bedroom - 10' x 10'
$1300 for marble countertop in the bathroom (5' long if even)
$2600 for kitchen backsplash
$300 for upgraded bathroom cabinets
$4000 for the tile (entry/bathroom floor and around the tub)
$1300 to change the shower from the wall one to a handheld

That's almost $17,500 for the upgrades. Has anyone ever dealt with Lanterra or other decor centres? Have you ever decided to install all those finishes and upgrades yourself? how did that work out for you? Did you get any credit from the vendor?

Thank you so much. All info is appreciated.

the price list forthe upgrades for X Condo by Great Gulf is reasonably priced in comparison to Lanterra.

MEG ... it appears Lanterra is really out to get you, hopefully Murano / MLS purchasers can share their experiences

From my read, I believe the flooring upgrade cost is pretty standard for builder charges, however if you have the floors changed after you move in it will be substantially cheaper, I gather your unit is a 1B+D, which good quality laminate wood floor will cost you no more than $3000 for the entire unit

$1300 for bathroom marble seems steep but typical for builder charges (isn't granite standard already?) ... you can probably get it replaced after you move in for about $600

$2600 for kitchen backsplash, that's a joke, what are they installing for you, crystals ?? I was going to ask Tridel to install a one big piece of back painted glass for my Solaris kitchen that was 9' long and they quoted me $1400, so I passed on that option

$300 cabinet upgrades are pretty good I think (assuming the upgraded cabinets look decent)

$4000 for tiles are quite expensive !! what would you get in the bathroom in absence of this upgrade ? If you already get laminate wood flooring in the entry area I'll just stick with that ~

$1300 to change the shower head? just get one replaced after you move in, there's plenty of options availalble @ Ronas / Canadian Tire / Home Depot / Lowes

You can likely get the builder to not install certain things (ie: no carpet such that you lay down hardwood), but note that you will likely not get any credits for reimbursement

Yeah, you are right. I feel taken for a ride. I'm frantically trying to get quotes to at least make sure that if I do it myself, it'll be easier. It looks like I could save around 10 thousand. I'm not overly satisfied with Lanterra so far. I doubt I get a credit and don't really want to have the standard finishes installed just because. Maybe just get bare walls and do it myself. Thank you so much.

$2600 for a kitchen backsplash? LOL. Backsplash is the one thing you should do yourself.

If I were you I'd just do the changes myself. I'm not a fan of Lanterra's standard finishes but the upgrades are just way too much.

$2600 for a kitchen backsplash? LOL. Backsplash is the one thing you should do yourself.

If I were you I'd just do the changes myself. I'm not a fan of Lanterra's standard finishes but the upgrades are just way too much.

hardwood floors can be done for less. Remember, to ask them to leave the floor concrete.
kitchen backsplash can be done later. Plumbing in the shower cannot be done later without destroying the tile in the bathtub unless you have access from the back. If your plumber hooks it up incorrectly, you will be responsible for damage caused to other units. Better to just pay the builder, my upgrade cost me $2K for shower and hand held.

Every one of those upgrades (including the shower) can be done after market for 60-95% less. Don't upgrade through the builder, it's always a mistake. Always.

On a separate note, if you already have laminate in your LR/DR and Den, like most condos, and you don't mind the colour selection this is actually preferable. It causes less noise to the unit below you and will wear better than hardwood. Laminates used to be shit, but even the builder laminates are very good now. Plus, in a condo where moisture is always an issue, the laminate is a better choice. 10 years ago I'd say the hardwood is the way to go, but not any more.

Good morning to all!

My brand new condo is to be completed in June of 2011. Currently, I'm working with the design centre (Lanterra) and the upgrades cost an arm and a leg. I went there on Thursday (yesterday) and they expect me to make a decision on Tuesday. Pricing is crazy.

$5600 for upgraded hardwood in the living/dining room -17' x 20' and den 10' x 9'
$2300 for upgraded hardwood in the bedroom - 10' x 10'
$1300 for marble countertop in the bathroom (5' long if even)
$2600 for kitchen backsplash
$300 for upgraded bathroom cabinets
$4000 for the tile (entry/bathroom floor and around the tub)
$1300 to change the shower from the wall one to a handheld

That's almost $17,500 for the upgrades. Has anyone ever dealt with Lanterra or other decor centres? Have you ever decided to install all those finishes and upgrades yourself? how did that work out for you? Did you get any credit from the vendor?

Thank you so much. All info is appreciated.
The only one I would do is the $1300 shower because you will have to retile, put it in and be responsible if there is a problem like Simuls said.

I would accept the laminate unless you really like the hardwood that much more as well. Alot of laminate is very close to hardwood in appearance now. However, realistically, to get descent hardwood installed, especially if you need subfloor or noise reduction because of the condo bylaws will be at least $10/sq.ft. He is asking $13/sq.ft. It is worthwhile to do it later but I would put the laminate down being offered, live with it for 6 months. My suspicion is that if you find laminate you like, you will be very used to it and not worth the money. As well, I am not sure you are adding that much more value to the unit, a consideration if you are thinking about moving in 3-5 years.

The bathroom cabinet upgrade at $300 if you like it I would just do with the builder. Not worth the hastle and if you don't like the standard, the cost will be close to the same.

Backspalsh for sure in kitchen you should do after the fact. The marble you can do after the fact and likely cheaper. You could get a remnant of marble or granite but realize that if you put in a sink after, you have plumbing and labour costs. Likely you will be at about 50% of the quoted cost.

What is on the bathroom floor already? Is it not tile? I can't understand why it is $4000 for this tiling you speak of with the entrance way.

Back