News   Jul 31, 2024
 246     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     5 

Brutal drivers in the GTA.

RJR123

Member Bio
Reaction score
I rented my Zipcar today to head out to Mississaga to visit family. I very rarely drive, so perhaps I was paying more attention than normal to my driving and the others around me.
I can't believe how brutal so many of the drivers are in the GTA. I can't begin to count how many people change lanes without signalling, weave in and out of heavy traffic, tailgate way too close to the car in front of them, and on, and on, and on.
I am so glad I walk to work...I can't imagine driving in that crap every day. No wonder people get road rage.

RJR:

I think it has gotten particularly bad the last 5 years - where the norm of traffic signals has changed to: yellow = speed up and red = go right through.

Where is the cries about "tough on crime" when you need them? Wait, in all likelihood, it's the same batch of people who are running the red lights.

AoD

I'm certainly in favour of more red light cameras, and even dreaded photoradar. The latter would be a bitter pill to swallow to some extent, but really, what message does it send that the government willfully avoids enforcing a duly enacted law because of political expediency?

Hey, it could be worse
svedkrash_vodka.jpg

when the light turns red, a big metal barrier should pop up from the ground.

I never thought I would say it, but I prefer drivers in California than here. Better behaved, even in LA, where I drove in its legendary gridlocked freeways on a few occasions. Chicago? Ditto.

I think Montreal drivers are just scary in the urban sense (but there's a bit more sense in its pedestrians), otherwise Toronto's really are bad.

Try Boston

The worst city I've seen for driving in N America, however, is Boston. Boston is truly, remarkably horrible. In Boston I saw an instance where they put concrete barricades every 500 m along a shoulder of a road, because they could not keep drivers from using it as a lane. Quite a few drivers would deke into the 500 m stretch, then merge with traffic around the concrete barrier, deke back in, and keep going that way, creating traffic chaos.

LA has lovely drivers, well marked highways, and signage that tells you way in advance what to expect, and it's mostly grid like Toronto, so easy to navigate. It's a dream for driving, providing there is not much traffic.

RJR:

I think it has gotten particularly bad the last 5 years - where the norm of traffic signals has changed to: yellow = speed up and red = go right through.

Where is the cries about "tough on crime" when you need them? Wait, in all likelihood, it's the same batch of people who are running the red lights.

AoD

I think you're right...seems like most of the offenders were angry white guys that would vote for the law and order crowd!

I drive everyday from Cabbagetown to Kitchener for work, and have seen quite a lot of silly driving. IMO, after the obvious tailgaiters and weavers, the next most dangerous fellow on the 401 I see are those in any lane driving at or slightly under 100 kph. Yes it's the speed limit, but no one does it, so if you do it, then the transport truck behind you must pull out into the middle lane where the rest of us are already doing 120kph, forcing us into the middle lane where they're doing 130 kph. It's a recipe for disaster.

Especially if they are doing 100K in the left lane.
How long does that drive take you, on average?

Back