News   May 03, 2024
 949     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 577     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 278     0 

Brownstones on Bloor (e of Sterling, Montevallo, 5s)

*sigh*...just demolish this entire stretch of Bloor on both the north and south sides and start over.

When they first advertised for these townhouses they used pictures of New York brownstones, haha. But I think these buildings aren't too bad considering this project was developed by the same same guy/team as BeBloor. Did anyone see what was originally planned for this plot? It was to be a 10-13 story building that ran along bloor and jutted down that side street in a big L shape. Luckily they couldn't sell enough. I'll take these town-turds.

But the real danger to this area seems to be the residence and not so much the shitty architecture. The residence of BeBloor tried to shut down the nudie bar and when they found out that they actually do a lot of charitable work out of there (let the jokes commence (but seriously, they do)), they helped force them to change there sign so it doesn't flash in stages (one of my favorite signs in the city before they were asked to change it). At one time the residence wanted to close off the through-way along the side of the tracks making it so only they could use it. Luckily it didn't happened yet. Personally I think they should concentrate on how they're own building affects the neighborhood (especially at grade where it is possibly the most soul sucking condo built anywhere in the city) before they start throwing stones (which they started immediately after moving in).

Another threat to the neigbourhood is the owners of the artists lofts behind here who are actively trying to develop their property. The building is not an eyesore as it is tucked away (possibly the opposite considering the new development blocking it from view) and is surrounded in garages (quite a few mechanics). This building is currently occupied by circus performers, dancers and other artists. As well if the building survives it may have synergies with the upcoming film studio being built (seemingly very slowly now). Personally, I think development for development sake would be a mistake in this area. Especially considering the quality of buildings being made.

Another threat to the neigbourhood is the owners of the artists lofts behind here who are actively trying to develop their property. The building is not an eyesore as it is tucked away (possibly the opposite considering the new development blocking it from view) and is surrounded in garages (quite a few mechanics). This building is currently occupied by circus performers, dancers and other artists. As well if the building survives it may have synergies with the upcoming film studio being built (seemingly very slowly now). Personally, I think development for development sake would be a mistake in this area. Especially considering the quality of buildings being made.

For what it's worth, that film studio is NOT happening. But other development plans/ideas are in the works for the former Tower Automotive lands on Sterling Rd. See my notes from January's meeting here:
http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/556

Also...sadly....the little Toronto Hydro building on Sterling Rd. was just demolished a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/779

11 August 2010:

dsc01948t.jpg

As much as the design may be considered uninspiring by some, this development did offer quite a bit of space for an attractive price. My client purchased a 2+1 bed town and is excited to move in from his 500sq.ft condo.

And I think their may be a unit or two left in the $340s - which is a decent appreciation from their original prices.

^500SF condo? Nuts at any price less than $100k at that crap location imo....

You're at it again!!! (being so negative about the value of other people's condos) Sold for $277,500 (555)/ft without parking. I should clarify it was a hard loft, not a traditional cookie cutter condo.

Last edited:

Back