News   Jul 17, 2024
 215     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 870     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 547     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Only Mississauga passholders get the screwjob because Brampton passholders never were allowed to start their ride on MT without paying a MT fare (or vice versa). Yet they still can transfer to MT for free as before. But Mississauga passholders are not allowed by their own system to transfer to BT under the new policy, because Miway won't give them the transfer to do so anymore. Brampton may not recognize U-pass holders, but this is no different than before.

Giving out a transfer doesn't mean anything. The passholder would still have to pay the other systems fare on the return trip. No matter what, passholders are screwed. The only solution is for both system to accept each other passes at any location.

I didn't see this question answered earlier in the thread so I apologize if I am repeating info. I caught the Zum at Square One today and took it up to the corner of Hurontario and Bristol. No problem getting off.

A couple of other observations:

- It was my first time on a Brampton Transit bus so I asked the driver how I signaled that I wanted to get off at the next stop. Did not realize the yellow strips were for that purpose. I guess years of GO conditioning caused me to assume they were for emergencies only.

- The Zum is treated like an ugly stepsister at Square One. No map; no list of stops in Mississauga; no departure times listed and the Mississauga transit buses will often park for extended periods at the stop, forcing it to pick up passengers behind, while they were always ready to move on if at Miway bus was approaching.

Is this use of Zum for express rides from Square One permanent or is there already a plan in place for a new route to replace the 202?

I didn't see this question answered earlier in the thread so I apologize if I am repeating info. I caught the Zum at Square One today and took it up to the corner of Hurontario and Bristol. No problem getting off.

- It was my first time on a Brampton Transit bus so I asked the driver how I signaled that I wanted to get off at the next stop. Did not realize the yellow strips were for that purpose. I guess years of GO conditioning caused me to assume they were for emergencies only.

- The Zum is treated like an ugly stepsister at Square One. No map; no list of stops in Mississauga; no departure times listed and the Mississauga transit buses will often park for extended periods at the stop, forcing it to pick up passengers behind, while they were always ready to move on if at Miway bus was approaching.

Is this use of Zum for express rides from Square One permanent or is there already a plan in place for a new route to replace the 202?

The Hurontario-Main LRT? :p

is there already a plan in place for a new route to replace the 202?

202 is already gone, with 103 offering additional midday and evening service. And that won't be permanent either.

I'm surprised as well with this. There is space for a new timetable at the terminal stop post (which can handle up to 4 timetables), just like what they currently have at Westwood Mall.

As for the digital screen, GO buses don't have their times displayed either. But since 502 acts as an extended 102, I am expecting the timetable to be posted as well.

The BRT platform is designed to handle 2 buses for loading. The 502 can freely idle at the platform even when a single MiExpress bus is behind the 502. However, it must leave the platform whenever a second MiExpress bus is coming.

This always happens since 110 and 26E used to share the platform.

As for the yellow bar, one passenger in the subway pressed the bar thinking that it was the "stop request" button. Maybe she got used to 905 buses.

Last edited:
Mississauga Transit doesn't seem to recognize Zum at all, except giving it a tab on the bus stops that are common to the 103. I agree as well with the stop assignment at Square One.

Route 502 is shown as a foreign connection on the new system map (while YRT shows the 501/501A as a distinct, branded route), and refuses to allow its passholders to take advantage of the 502 or engage in a fare agreement that YRT has with Brampton for BT 501.

Brampton Transit is adding later trips on the 502 so the last bus leaves Square One at 11:30pm instead of 10:50pm weekdays (according to the E-Ride online schedules). This should mitigate the 407 transfer problem somewhat, and a good move. It says they are adding additional trips to the 502 on weekends as well, but I can't find them on E-ride.

The route 56 Springbrook (rush hours only for now) is also a go on October 24, but won't serve downtown, only Mount Pleasant GO. So they went with the option I didn't agree with.

Other minor changes to schedules.

Notice is here:
http://www.brampton.ca/en/residents/transit/service-alerts/Pages/welcome.aspx#October

Last edited:
Brampton Transit just released their 2011 ridership figures.

Ridership is up by just under 18%, and 2.5 million rides from 2010; the largest percentage and absolute growth in ridership in its history.

Proof that steady service improvements drive transit, never mind the decent "BRT-lite" spine service that has no regard for arbitrary municipal borders.

http://www.brampton.ca/en/residents/transit/facts-figures/Pages/RidershipStats.aspx

Brampton Transit just released their 2011 ridership figures.

Ridership is up by just under 18%, and 2.5 million rides from 2010; the largest percentage and absolute growth in ridership in its history.

Proof that steady service improvements drive transit, never mind the decent "BRT-lite" spine service that has no regard for arbitrary municipal borders.

http://www.brampton.ca/en/residents/transit/facts-figures/Pages/RidershipStats.aspx

Fantastic news. It's funny, people are flipping out over the possibility of a Zum-type service on Finch, yet Queen St and Finch are more similar than they are dissimilar, and clearly implementing this type of service creates an increase in ridership.

It's always good to see ridership growth though. I wonder if this news will prompt even more service increases? Also, did they happen to release what the fare recovery ratio was? Because if the recovery ratio went up as well, then it's even more good news, because it's showing that the service increases are paying for themselves.

That 18% growth is definitely impressive! Looks like that it will exceed YRT's ridership within a year or two, especially considering the current strike, and its long-term effects to its ridership after it. Also, Brampton's annual ridership is now half of Mississauga's.

Also a nice tidbit: The migrations (from 19 to 502 and from Viva Orange to 501) seem to be insignificant to the ridership increase, meaning that all the increases are almost totally exclusive within Brampton.

Really, really great news.

Now let's see YRT falling further away...

Last edited:
Yet it still generated a significant increase in ridership. Even if it's just good marketing and nicer shelters, it's clearly working.

Brampton Transit has been increasing service every year, and Zum was part of that service increase. 2 limited stop routes are not the sole reason for the ridership gains. I am not here to argue, I am glad my hometown system is finally taking steps to become a decent system, but for you to attribute the impressive riderships gain on two limited stop routes is wrong.

Brampton Transit has been increasing service every year, and Zum was part of that service increase. 2 limited stop routes are not the sole reason for the ridership gains. I am not here to argue, I am glad my hometown system is finally taking steps to become a decent system, but for you to attribute the impressive riderships gain on two limited stop routes is wrong.

I'm not attributing it all to it. I'm just saying that at the very least the marketing effort of Zum played a big role in getting that ridership increase, as did the increase in the speed of the service (limited stop is still better than a regular bus). Brampton took a gamble and increased route frequencies in the hopes of "up it and they will come". Fortunately they did.

Back