News   Jul 17, 2024
 505     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 500     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

http://www.brampton.ca/en/residents/transit/Schedules-Maps/Pages/ServiceImprovements.aspx

I totally love their teaser here: "We're known for always improving our services but this is crazy."

100% true because it's a hodgepodge of trip cancellations, schedule adjustments, and frequency increases.

Some highlights:

Still surprised that 3 will still not connect at Sheridan College for MiWay's 61A and 66.

18 Dixie is now as frequent as MiWay's 5 Dixie for weekday midday (20 minutes). Plus, during these periods, they allow 4-minute waiting connection time for Brampton-bound, but screws up (16-minute wait) for Mississauga-bound. Also a notable achievement is that 18 is now also more frequent than 5 during Saturdays (20 vs 23).

7/7A gets better Saturday service and that is definitely welcomed.

Passengers on 11/11A will definitely be happy to see additional service, but it won't be noticeable as the service is already frequent during peak hours. 12-minute midday service is a good achievement. And finally 20-minute Saturday service!

40 getting 30-minute rush hour service? Yikes! I thought Mississauga has bad service in their employment lands.

29 increasing service to 15 minutes during peak periods.

Late-evening frequency improvements will make the schedule consistent throughout the evening (like MiWay does in most of their routes).

Last edited:
http://www.brampton.ca/en/residents/transit/Schedules-Maps/Pages/ServiceImprovements.aspx

I totally love their teaser here: "We're known for always improving our services but this is crazy."

100% true because it's a hodgepodge of trip cancellations, schedule adjustments, and frequency increases.

Some highlights:

Still surprised that 3 will still not connect at Sheridan College for MiWay's 61A and 66.

18 Dixie is now as frequent as MiWay's 5 Dixie for weekday midday (20 minutes). Plus, during these periods, they allow 4-minute waiting connection time for Brampton-bound, but screws up (16-minute wait) for Mississauga-bound. Also a notable achievement is that 18 is now also more frequent than 5 during Saturdays (20 vs 23).

7/7A gets better Saturday service and that is definitely welcomed.

Passengers on 11/11A will definitely be happy to see additional service, but it won't be noticeable as the service is already frequent during peak hours. 12-minute midday service is a good achievement. And finally 20-minute Saturday service!

40 getting 30-minute rush hour service? Yikes! I thought Mississauga has bad service in their employment lands.

29 increasing service to 15 minutes during peak periods.

Late-evening frequency improvements will make the schedule consistent throughout the evening (like MiWay does in most of their routes).

That Bramalea bus is edging ever closer to its natural terminus at Mayfield....goes to Countryside Drive now!

I guess they need to sprawl a little more.

Sprawl or not, the bus should go there....there is an 1,800 student high school there that gets roughly half its students from outside the school boundry (and therefore provides them no busing) it would be a good usage driver and, therefore, a good revenue route for BT.

Interesting that last year's experiment with midnight shift buses on the 10, 20 and 40 will be dumped in September. I'm not terribly surprised.

But at least 14, 15 and 30 (which serve some industrial areas) are getting full 30 minute 7 day/all day minimum service, joining 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 11, 18, 51 and 52 in this regard. I would like to see 23 and 29 join this club.

I am not happy about the 9 going to 50 minute base service and the lack of the new route 56. Otherwise, except the 35 minute headways on the 12 and 13, the changes are good or understandable.

There's another reason to have regional transit.

No matter where/how you draw the lines on the map...there is always a point where somone/something is one side of the line and someone/something is on the other. You still have to deal with those points in a logical fashion.

Anyone else notice that in Google maps, Mayfield Secondary school is an LRT station?

That must be the LRT that runs up Bramalea Road! With a stop a Father Tobin! Just shows ya that you can't believe everything Google tells you!

Not only is Mayfield not an LRT stop....it is a very infrequent bus stop with a couple of special buses in the morning and a couple more in the afternoon serving the school.

No matter where/how you draw the lines on the map...there is always a point where somone/something is one side of the line and someone/something is on the other. You still have to deal with those points in a logical fashion.

Since Brampton and Caledon are both in Peel, they're both on the same side of the line.

Since Brampton and Caledon are both in Peel, they're both on the same side of the line.

THAT line, yes. The line would just move somewhere else. I think the way transit works now in Peel is kinda ok. There are two cities of over 1/2 mil each which have their own transit systems that they gear, primarily, to the needs of the people within their city...which is fine...they are both large enough to support transit systems and do so. At the "borders" they do their best to integrate and that goes well to different degrees depending on where you are.

There are annoyances (the Bramalea bus being stopped short of an important usage driver is a sore point for me) but not a ton. I think BT using Caledon as an excuse (if they are, I have only read it hear) is a bit of a cop out.....they could run that bus up to Mayfield and just put in a turn loop south of Mayfield and the students or users of the rec centre could just cross at the lights to the bus.

That said, the annoyances are not enough (to me) to force the merger of two transit systems that, to varying degrees, work for their taxpayers and then foist a transit system on the taxpayers/municipality who have chosen (as is their right) to not have one.

The problem with serving Mayfield SS, and I say this as an alumnus, is that:

a) the regional arts program only makes up a very small portion of the student population. When I was there, it was at most 20% of the students. Many do come from Brampton, but a large percentage do come from Caledon where there is no local transit system. From my observations, it was a 70 Brampton / 30 Caledon split.

b) There are no large trip generators that students can travel to on their lunch and return to without being late. Trinity Common is too far, as a missed connection will mean a late attendance mark. This severely limits off-peak ridership to those who have a first or last period spare (i.e. those who can leave early or come late). I was under the old curriculum, but this is pretty much limited to some Grade 12.

Because of these factors I do not believe that Mayfield Secondary is a significant trip generator outside of the begin and end of classes. Extending the Bramalea Road bus to Mayfield Road is something that should be considered, but doing so to serve the school is not a good justification.

The problem with serving Mayfield SS, and I say this as an alumnus, is that:

a) the regional arts program only makes up a very small portion of the student population. When I was there, it was at most 20% of the students. Many do come from Brampton, but a large percentage do come from Caledon where there is no local transit system. From my observations, it was a 70 Brampton / 30 Caledon split.

b) There are no large trip generators that students can travel to on their lunch and return to without being late. Trinity Common is too far, as a missed connection will mean a late attendance mark. This severely limits off-peak ridership to those who have a first or last period spare (i.e. those who can leave early or come late). I was under the old curriculum, but this is pretty much limited to some Grade 12.

Because of these factors I do not believe that Mayfield Secondary is a significant trip generator outside of the begin and end of classes. Extending the Bramalea Road bus to Mayfield Road is something that should be considered, but doing so to serve the school is not a good justification.

I've got a young 'un there now and the percentage of kids that are RAP kids is higher than 20% now....may not be 50/50 but it is probably 40/60 and those kids come, mostly from Brampton and are really underserved by the current "special" buses...particularly the journey home one as it leaves, pretty much, right after class and part of the deal with RAP kids is that they have to be involved (to varying degrees) in after school "stuff"...my kid, as an example, is 3 - 4 nights a week (and she is nothing special ;) )....so in her 3 years there has never utilized the bus.

I just feel that it is a more natural place for the bus route to end.......and it may drive some ridership as all of the east-west routes cross Bramalea....and any ridership that it does generate can serve the purpose of lowering the congestion at that intersection caused by the massive amount of parent pick-ups/drop offs....adding in the fact that you just know that the bus will go there eventually (it is nearly there now and within a couple of years the gap will be filled with houses that will need/demand service) it just doesn't make sense (to me) to take the service there now.....

....like I said before, not a huge issue but just a minor irritant that makes no sense to me and, as I have "touched" the situation first hand for the past 3 years it is one that I am cognizant of.

Back