News   Jul 12, 2024
 913     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 816     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

BMO Field

Here's a few pics I took today. The stadium itself is growing on me. Final touches are taking place, and I didn't realize how close it is to the streetcars and GO Trains.

I like the seat patterns, but when there's a game on, they should be redundant!

Though the stand-alone videoscreen bugs me (which is next to the Food Building closer to the Gardiner). The city is hypocritical with this one, as it is supposedly banning new screens due to driver safety on the Gardiner. A nice neon beacon (sans ad screen) would have been better.

BMO4.jpg

BMO2.jpg

BMO3.jpg

BMO5.jpg

BMO6.jpg

I walked through the stadium while they were putting down the turf last month. I must say that I like the stadium as a community, beginner's level stadia.

I'm hopeful that TorontoFC will become the next big thing as demonstrated by sellout season tickets and the number of tickets sold for the World Cup under 20. In the years to come, this will definitely spur development @ BMO Field: it has many upgrade options if you stand near it and use your imagination.

Regardless, BMO Field feels somewhat temporary. I think we'll still end up with a major soccer stadium (80,000+ seats) in Toronto in the next decade.

Toronto FC needs to start playing some real soccer in order for that to happen. Have you seen their play? Its horrible, then again... their competition isn't any better.

That last shot (or similar with cropping) would make for a great postcard.

Yes that stadium looks like an easy target for expansion or knockdown when the time comes for a bigger stadium. Especially the East facing stands that give a nice view to the skyline.

Yeah, I totally see expansion in the cards.

Here's my view on it...

The East stands are only one level high and plenty of room (enough for an entire stadium) is available behind it.

I would like to see a hotel/convention centre built behind the East stand, which would add another level of seating built atop this building (i.e. Renaissance hotel @ SkyDome).

I think BMO Field as it is now is a good start. Instead of rapidly expanding the stadium to 40,000 or even 80,000 all in one shot, I think expansion should come gradually, a few thousand seats at a time (what I might call an "organic" method to stadium expansion). It would be interesting to see BMO Field develop into a tradition-filled stadium, like some of the landmark English football stadia and the old MLB ballparks like Fenway Park or Wrigley Field, where virtually every section of seat, every architectural feature, and even every blade of (artificial) grass has a history or a tradition attached to it.

I would like to see a hotel/convention centre built behind the East stand, which would add another level of seating built atop this building

Since I've mentioned Wrigley Field, perhaps the development should look like a stretch of rowhouses with rooftop seating...

cubs_game_rooftops.jpg

Cisco Field, the proposed home of MLB's Oakland Athletics, will be built with rooftop seating on some fake retro warehouses in the outfield.

cisco_231106_01.jpg

Yeh- not a great start to the season. But FC is an expansion team afterall. I thought I saw the stadium lights on last night from my balconey. Are they working late putting on the finishing touches?

Before everyone starts anticipating wild expansions for the stadium, lets see if the 'fans' stick around for what could be a very lousy team. One or two bad seasons and they will have a hard time filling the seats they have, let alone expanding. Toronto sports fans are very fickle. Heck, major league baseball only gets about 15,000 out for most games.

Yeh- not a great start to the season. But FC is an expansion team afterall. I thought I saw the stadium lights on last night from my balconey. Are they working late putting on the finishing touches?

no,season ticket holders were invited to watch last nights away game on
the big screen.also a chance to preview food and sit in their seats ,basically an open house for them.i did not attend because of prior commitments but i will be there on saturday.

The stadium looks great driving in from the Gardiner, but the video screen gets lost in the sea of billboards. (especially since there are ads on it)

Back