News   Oct 18, 2024
 2.7K     8 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 335     0 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 962     4 

Blue Man shutting down

Unfortunately, "bad taste" and "low culture" are still important for the economy of the city. I just hope these recent failures don't have a long term impact on our theatre scene.

Media hype aside, I doubt it.

I'm in favour of "bad taste", which at least offers the possibility of kitsch to giggle at, rather than "good taste", which is a flimsy cladding of received opinions for insecure consumers.

dissappointing

Its unfortunate that BMG marketing division couldn't get the ball rolling in this city. Another one bites the dust.

Its no wonder no one I know who graduated from Sheridan in the technical theatre and musical theatre programs in the last 3 years is actually working in theatre in this city. There are no jobs (that pay decently) unless your union and even then its looking more and more bleak. Most of my friends who actually had the drive to try and work in theatre have been forced to work on cruise ships or move to New York.
I know one person who is a stage hand working on Blue Man and she will be moving to New York come January.

Re: dissappointing

Has Sheridan oversold their courses by presenting a misleading view of the job market perhaps? It wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened. For instance, local art schools and community colleges flooded the market with vast numbers of illustrators 15 or 20 years ago. One or two came in with their portfolios every week, and I was able to assign work to a small number of them. Most sank from view pretty rapidly after doing the rounds of publications and agencies and getting nowhere.

?

I know on average every year 30 technicians graduate and 50 performers. Out of those numbers you would think that at least 5 or 10 might be working in the industry that they studied in school. Toronto should be able to handle a number of fresh performers and technicians each year. Unfortunately, that just doesn't seem to be the case.

"It's disheartening that Toronto hasn't rebounded yet and has lately been unable to support long-run shows," Laura Camien, press rep for Blue Man Productions said by phone from New York last night.

This is an attempt to deflect attention away from the union issues. There was a better article in the Star the following day which focused on the real reason the show failed - opposition from unionized employees.

While the only visible protest was held prior to the show's opening, the Star article mentioned that on any weekday in the other cities where this show runs, you see hoards of school kids flooding out of the show. In TO, none of the schools or teachers would send classes to the show. Without that support, the show wasn't able to survive.

Like other newcomers before them, the ( culturally imperialist ) Blue Men either failed to do their homework or took a calculated risk that their attempt to subvert our established employment practises would work. Toronto is a large market for many things, including theatre, and we have our own way of doing things.

That was the only thing positive about the show - that it refused to kowtow to the union hacks.

"In TO, none of the schools or teachers would send classes to the show."

If I was a kid in elementary/high school these days, I wouldn't mind seeing Blue Man Group instead of being dragged to the Science Centre for the 16th time. Not that kids these days go on many trips any more, anyway.

?

Having worked with IATSE local 873, 667, and 58 I can attest to the fact that the majority of members in these locals are competent, and decent people. However, their labour rates and union rules are bringing Toronto's professional theatre/television/film industry to its knees.
Recently having shot a show in the gorgeous Elgin theatre the production company I was working for was outraged to hear of added cost after added cost due to the union rules. The average wage of a stage hand during our 3 days of occupying the Elgin was approximately $70 /hr. That is a ridiculous sum of money just for someone who will be hanging drapes.
No wonder there is only one show booked in the Elgin in October.

>?

Even if their teachers understood the meaning of the word solidarity, and acted upon it, there was never anything preventing the sweet little children of our fair city from getting their anti-union parents to take them to to glory in the Blue Men and all their works.

Back