B

blixa442

Blue Man takes a pounding
Toronto show to close January 7
Run falls short of predicted decade
Sep. 28, 2006. 08:00 AM
MARTIN KNELMAN
ENTERTAINMENT COLUMNIST

Blue Man Group — a show its producers hoped would run a decade — will close on Jan. 7 after 18 months at the Panasonic Theatre. And that makes Toronto unique — the only place where this funky spoof of performance art has ever closed.

It's still running in the other six cities where it has opened — New York (where it has been a fixture at Astor Place in the East Village since 1991), Chicago, Las Vegas, Boston, London and Berlin — and another production will open in December in Amsterdam.

The combination of the show's track record elsewhere and Toronto's credentials as a sophisticated theatre centre emboldened Clear Channel Entertainment to buy the New Yorker Theatre and spend $12 million turning it into a state-of-the-art home for Blue Man. (Naming rights were sold to Panasonic.)

But Toronto never quite fell in love with the show, which got off to a sour start last year when it was picketed for refusing to employ members of performers and musicians unions.

"It's disheartening that Toronto hasn't rebounded yet and has lately been unable to support long-run shows," Laura Camien, press rep for Blue Man Productions said by phone from New York last night.

"But given that fact, we feel very proud of running a year and a half, and we have very positive feelings about Toronto."

In fact, by the time the show closes it will have brought in about $14 million at the box office and been seen by almost 250,000 people — making it one of the most successful off-Broadway shows in Toronto theatre history.

Yet the reluctance of Toronto ticket buyers to meet the great expectations of the show's producers won't help the city's claim to be a hot theatre town.

Still, there's an upside: Suddenly we have in the Bloor/Yonge area a terrific, smartly renovated 700-seat theatre suitable for commercially viable off-Broadway shows.

The likely scenario is that it will continue operating under the Canadian branch of Live Nations (Clear Channel's theatrical division).

Ronald Andrew, who runs the Canadian operation, declined to comment.

I'm willing to think that makes Toronto *more* world class, not less. Again, as I've said in the past, tourism *ahem* *ahem* is overrated...

Overrated? In what way? As a means for people from other countries to get to know Toronto? I would assume that "world class" suggests international recognition, global linkage and the like. I would think that tourism is very much a part of that.

Was this show any good? I've never really had any interest at all in the Blue Man Group.

Overrated? In what way? As a means for people from other countries to get to know Toronto? I would assume that "world class" suggests international recognition, global linkage and the like. I would think that tourism is very much a part of that.

Note the *ahem* *ahem* part. When you add the *ahem* *ahem* qualifier to "tourism", it refers to a specific kind of middlebrow tourism-by-numbers, used as a crutch.

With Blue Man Group failing, it doesn't mean Toronto's failed; it means that it's subverted a crutch-dependent system...

Doesn't feel particularly bad to see them go - BMG is becoming the McDonalds of performance art anyways.

AoD

Note the *ahem* *ahem* part. When you add the *ahem* *ahem* qualifier to "tourism"

For all I know all your *ahems* might indicate the need for you to see a doctor for some throat issues.

Speaking of which, maybe The Vagina Monologues will return to this venue...

EDIT: adma - at least WARN others the link you've posted (which incidentially shows an example of the glorious female genitalia) is not safe for work.

That's too bad. I haven't been to the New Yorker in a while. Didn't they put quite a bit of money to spruce it up? I wonder what will go in next.

Maybe Toronto doesnt have the taste or tourists for Blue Man Group. Im sure its a great venue and another show will take its place.

It appears like the shows have a limited lifespan here and the limited stopovers do well. Maybe Toronto is also better at the production phase of stage shows.

Unfortunately, "bad taste" and "low culture" are still important for the economy of the city. I just hope these recent failures don't have a long term impact on our theatre scene.

"Tourist scene", maybe. "Theatre scene", not likely.

Now, if Nuit Blanche was a flopapalooza, *then* we might see the equivalent of adverse impact...

Back