News   Apr 30, 2024
 304     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 808     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Blue Jays

Instead of platooning first base, Smoak is now the everyday first baseman. Having regular at-bats and knowing you'll be playing day-in, day-out will help a lot with confidence and approach. I see the same thing with Tepera. He knows he's not going to be sent back down to Buffalo, and can now just focus on pitching.

Splitting the series with the Yankees will give the Jays overall a serious boost of confidence. They can play with one of the best teams and can incrementally close the gap.

Looks like there may have been more Jays than Mariners fans, at the road game in Seattle yesterday. Always interesting to see the different regional affiliations of people across Canada. Jays usually get strong support from Western Canada. While people I've met from Southern Ontario (London, Chatham, Windsor, Sarnia) tend to support Detroit teams like the Tigers and Red Wings. And with the Maritimers I've met they support the Habs or Boston based teams.

Last edited:
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...vade-seattle-for-series-opener-2017-1.4154999

Blue Jays fans invade Safeco Field for Seattle series opener

Pricey tickets didn't dissuade thousands of blue-clad Jays fans from making the trip south

Tina Lovgreen - CBC News

For a few days each year, the Emerald City turns a bit more blue.

And this year, thousands of Canadians once again made the trip south to Seattle to see their Toronto Blue Jays in person against the Mariners.

It's a familiar journey for western Jays fans, who over the years have earned a reputation for their vocal visiting support.

"It's so cool to see the players in real life, instead of on the screen. You get an experience rather than watching it on TV," said Ty Carrier, who travelled from Alberta with his family to catch his first live baseball game.

"I can't believe I'm here. It's a dream come true," said the Josh Donaldson fan.

M's fan mocks Canada

Predictably, Mariners fans aren't thrilled about their team's Safeco Field home being turned into a nest of Jays fans.

Last year, M's fan Daniel Carroll became a social media sensation with his cheeky signs mocking Canada, and he was back with new signs at Safeco on Friday night.

One read, "Trader Joe's Location, USA: 470, Canada 0, Pirate Joe's doesn't count" referencing the recent closure of the popular Trader Joe's reseller Pirate Joe's.

"I wanted to push back at all the Canadians coming down and I certainly hit a button when I showed them how many Stanley Cups Canadian teams have won since 1994," said the lifelong Mariner's supporter.

Pricey pilgrimage

But, it's a pricey pilgrimage for fans from north of the border.

This year, some drove down from as far as Red Deer, Alta., a more than 12 hour drive away.

That time doesn't include what can be lengthy waits at the border.

"They're telling us 50 minutes," said Clive Scarff, from Horseshoe Bay, B.C.

"But we left plenty of time and we are just being patient and are excited for the game."

Like many Major League Baseball teams, the Mariners use a dynamic pricing system for tickets.

Teams adjust ticket prices on a game-by-game basis by factoring in the day of the week, who the visiting opponent is, what the M's record is, and how strong popular demand is.

Ticket prices for this year's series was double in some instances, compared to other teams Mariners play.

Prices range from $30 to $600 US for each of the three weekend games. Scalpers were selling tickets for Friday's game for $100 to $125, when the same seats would go for $70 for most other games.

Some fans estimated they spent upwards of $4,000 on tickets to all three games, hotel rooms and other travel costs.

Yet, the blue invasion continues year after year.

"I've been Blue Jays fan since '86, since I had cancer. I had nothing to do but watch TV," said John De Jong.

While others simply said, "Jays fans, eh?"

fathers_day_1920x1080_6jftk52q_fv3yrex3.jpg

A friend of mine who lives in the Seattle area and was at last night's game was complaining about all of the drunken Jays fans.

Read some similar reports on Twitter after. Always unfortunate to hear about the obnoxious drunk fans.

Last edited:

A friend of mine who lives in the Seattle area and was at last night's game was complaining about all of the drunken Jays fans.

Unfortunately you get that any big stadium when it's full. Seattle is not a baseball town. The fans are not used to dealing with such large crowds at Safeco Field. Jays are 5th in attendance, Seattle is away down at # 21... pretty sad.

Listening to today's game on the radio, it sounds like they are playing at Rogers Centre! The crowed cheered so freaking loud when Donaldson hit that home run, i was expecting to hear the Rogers Centre fog horn. lol

Struggles continue for Estrada, who also gets lit up by Rays again.
Completely agreed. Started listening to the game in the bottom of the 3rd and left subsequently in the top of the 4th when the Rays extended their lead to 6-0. :mad:
For many years during the "Angry Jay" era, there were quite a large number of Yankees and Red Sox fans at the Rogers Centre, essentially neutralizing some of the home advantage. Well, that was unless Roy "Doc" Halladay was pitching.
It's a good thing those days are over, but not the days of my remembering this: (as a pic)
By the way, if I watch that bad ending from October 19, 2016, I would immediately know clicking the link to it would be an obvious mistake, and I would stop watching the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agreed. Started listening to the game in the bottom of the 3rd and left subsequently in the top of the 4th when the Rays extended their lead to 6-0
and now my biggest beef with the Blue Jays and White Sox playing each other is how they have been slugging against us! How dare that continue!

TI

P. S. Just curious... What were the moderator-made edits to my previous post?

Last edited:

Back