News   Apr 25, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 981     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

These stores are never that busy, I made that point earlier and also the fact this is generally the way high end stores are, go to Chicago and its the same story. They just don't need the large numbers (people wise).

Louis Black is opening in the Hazelton Hotel and looks to be opening a Richard Mille boutqiue and F.P. Journe Boutique. Two ultra-exclusive watches and the only points of sale in Canada.

Louis Black is opening in the Hazelton Hotel and looks to be opening a Richard Mille boutqiue and F.P. Journe Boutique. Two ultra-exclusive watches and the only points of sale in Canada.

Wow Richard Mille! Those watches cost more than the average house in Toronto, :eek:

Holt Renfrew Bloor Street Expansion?

I came across this blog mentioning that Holt Renfrew will expand its Toronto store:

"Today we were reviewing plans for an expanded/renovated Holt Renfrew flagship store at 50 Bloor Street West in Toronto. Plans include eight (8) levels of Holt Renfrew retail totalling about 200,000 sq ft, plus four levels / 90,782 square feet for an unknown retailer or retailers (or for Holt Renfrew as well?) and several levels of offices, all under a substantial residential tower.

City planning documents for this project can be viewed here: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/50_bloor.htm

We note store square footages set out at this link: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/50bloor_architectural-plans.pdf#page=2 and specifically note the size of the newly expanded Holt Renfrew store. From our calculations, the new store will be about 200,000 square feet. We're basing this on the 'project statistics' on the page above, subtracted some basement non-Holt Renfrew retail, added about 2,000 sq ft of new Holt's basement retail, and added about 3,800 square feet occupied by Holt Renfrew on the ground floor of the 60 Bloor Street West building. We are unsure what will happen to the Holt Renfrew Personal Shopping Suites, awkwardly placed within the 60 Bloor office tower with elevator access from the main store. These add an extra few thousand square feet, if included (and from the plans we don't see them or their dedicated elevator).

Of further interest is a new, four-level retail portion to the project, totalling almost 91,000 square feet of retail. We are unsure if this will belong to Holt Renfrew (making a ~290,000 sq ft store), or if the space will be for one or more larger retailers.

Finally, the project will include about 78,000 square feet of office space. Could this be the new corporate office headquarters for Holts?

Source: http://www.retail-insider.com/2012/06/update-holt-renfrew-in-toronto-to.html

Last edited:
At the Porsche Design store on Bloor St. you can pick up the new $1,890 Porsche Design BlackBerry, which was unveiled last night.

... RIM Chief Executive Thorsten Heins unveiled a special-edition BlackBerry smartphone designed by Porsche Design Group, a division of automaker Porsche AG, which retails for just under $2,000.

When first launched in Dubai last year, they sold out almost instantly. RIM says it can’t keep up with orders.

“In Dubai, this thing rock and rolls,†Mr. Heins said in an interview after the event, referring to the phone as an “aspirational†device. “It’s doing way better than we thought.†Mr. Heins said the phones are also flying off the shelves at Harrod’s in London. RIM didn’t disclose sales figures.

The launch took place at the Porsche Design store, which sells Porsche-themed sneakers, pens, sunglasses, tweezers and hookah pipes. The store also played host to a fashion show, with models wearing Porsche-designed clothes and accessories.

I can't say I like the design myself, but hey, if it's good enough for Kanye... ;)

It retails for a mere $1,890 in Canada, at the Porsche Design store in Yorkville. In other select markets where it’s been released, it’s already got some celebrity fans — Kanye West has reportedly bought fellow musicians Jay-Z and Beyonce Porsche phones.

I understand the hype behind having a limited exclusive designed phone. But how could it possibly be worth that price?

... and who wants a blackberry anymore?

I have an iPhone and a Blackberry Torch, and while I tend to use the iPhone for personal stuff, the Blackberry still can't be beat for work. And at my firm, people have a choice of using Apple, Blackberry or Android, and the overwhelming choice is still Blackberry (with Android an also-ran). If someone could figure out how to run RIM properly, they still have a relatively loyal customer base in the business world.

Having said that, that's strictly the workplace, and doesn't explain at all the appeal of the Porsche Design limited edition.

Floriane at the Prince Arthur on Avenue has closed, and the corner space in the Prince Arthur at Avenue and Prince Arthur (beside Vera Wang) has been leased. Lots going on it seems

Back