News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 610     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 295     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

That, and the fact that some 'Lease' signs stay up long after a deal has been made so it gives the appearance that nothing has happened. The Four Seasons is, from my understanding, fully leased, even though the sign is still up there advertising the retail space.

And to echo Filip's post, it's true that Bloor tends to have some of the highest grossing sales numbers of any street in the world. The problem is that sometimes it doesn't make sense for some brands to open a 4,000 sq. ft store where they can't showcase their entire line, so they wait until 10K or more becomes available. Unlike, say in a city like Vancouver, where a 4-5,000 sq. ft store can make more sense - which is why sometimes you see brands launch there first just to enter the Canadian market.

Yea I completely understand that and am aware of the figures. As others have pointed out there are a couple spots that have been supposedly empty for a while, but this doesn't necessarily mean they're not leased.

I think 1 Bloor East will be a big test, its what 100K of retail ?

Yea I completely understand that and am aware of the figures. As others have pointed out there are a couple spots that have been supposedly empty for a while, but this doesn't necessarily mean they're not leased.

I think 1 Bloor East will be a big test, its what 100K of retail ?

Who thinks some of the mall/mid-range brands (e.g. Banana Republic, Gap, Zara, BCBG) are going to vacate Bloor and move into 1 Bloor East ? That would make A LOT of room for luxury lines to come in.

As I've said before it will be interesting to see what happens when approximately 300k of retail space is added to the district over the next 5-10 years.

1 Bloor is about 100k
Cumberland Terrace
Holts
Old Four Seasons - 80k

The fact that Louis and Tiffany are renovating and expanding... speaks to the desirability of the district more than anything else.

The awesome outdoor staircase outside of Flo's Diner is no more. I'm always bummed out when unique things in a neighbourhood are gone.

Victorinox is officially open on Bloor. I personally love their stuff and am glad they opened a store in Toronto.

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do...s-first-North-American-store-on-Bloor-Street/

Swiss Army knife maker Victorinox opens its first North American flagship store on Bloor Street

By David Paterson

Anyone who has ever had the urgent need to open a bottle of wine or file their nails while halfway up a mountain knows that the Swiss Army knife is one of mankind’s most impressive inventions.

This week, Victorinox, the company behind the famous knife, is opening its first North American flagship store in Toronto. Occupying a modern building on the corner of Bloor West and St. Thomas Street, the store is two floors of outdoorsy-person paradise, with a head office upstairs and a by-appointment-only showroom for chefs’ knives in the basement.

Since the late ’80s, the 128-year-old company has been busy diversifying, and alongside its vast array of knives and pocket tools, now sells watches, clothing, luggage and even fragrances. Around 90 per cent of its range will be available at the Bloor Street store, which will officially open its doors on June 6.

When we took a peek inside, the finishing touches were being added to a space that exudes the company’s functional-yet-stylish vibe. Taking us around, Joachim Beer, Victorinox’s head of fashion, liked to compare the design ethos to that of an SUV: this is stuff that’s supposed to be as wearable in Yorkville as on the side of a hill.

While we admit to being impressed by the ability to turn an ultra-light hiking jacket into a piece of business attire by pulling at a few strategic zippers, it’s still the tried-and-true army knives that steal the show — if only because it’s impossible to figure out what half the things on them do.

Victorinox Swiss Army, 95A Bloor St., 416-929-9889

I know I'm being negative!! But watch them close it down in a year or two.

You are being negative. :(

In speaking with the store manager during the time their pop-up store was open, this flagship (as other flagships are) is the supplier/distributor for NA. His insight was pretty interesting in that, that's how most flagship stores make their money. They sell to other retailers in the region. That being said, this store I'm sure will do well as a retailer to the general public since Victorinox is a very well known brand with a moderate price point. They even have an 'Appointment Only' floor downstairs for chefs, so this in and of itself will be a draw.

You are being negative. :(

In speaking with the store manager during the time their pop-up store was open, this flagship (as other flagships are) is the supplier/distributor for NA. His insight was pretty interesting in that, that's how most flagship stores make their money. They sell to other retailers in the region. That being said, this store I'm sure will do well as a retailer to the general public since Victorinox is a very well known brand with a moderate price point. They even have an 'Appointment Only' floor downstairs for chefs, so this in and of itself will be a draw.

Sure hope so! I want the street to do well!!!

My friend works there. When he showed me around the store on Sunday, there were literally no customers inside. On the bright side all the staff (all male) were hot.

I was at bal Barbour a month ago and there were literally no customers in the stores either, except for a few here and there! That doesn't mean much.

My friend works there. When he showed me around the store on Sunday, there were literally no customers inside. On the bright side all the staff (all male) were hot.

Sunday was only the second day they were open, and they hadn't done an official launch yet. Saturday was a soft open and it was pretty busy when I was in there. So, as vatche said - doesn't mean much.

Back