News   Feb 26, 2021
 378     0 
News   Feb 26, 2021
 1K     4 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

prosperegal

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like Tim Hortons at the Holt Renfrew Centre is moving as they are prepping a new storefront next to the tailor shop. Or are they just opening a second location in the same area?

pw20

Member Bio
Reaction score
Re. the Clark's spot/rebuild of the Porsche/Guess stores. The hint is that it is the same broker as Clark's. Based on this list - I'm assuming it will be either Sephora, Uniqlo or Victoria's Secret. I actually think Uniqlo is the least likely of the above, with Victoria's Secret being the most likely as they've opened up gigantic stores in Montreal and Vancouver recently. Sephora is known to be moving to a bigger spot as well - however, I had (perhaps incorrectly) thought it was the Manulife Centre.

prosperegal

Member Bio
Reaction score
Re. the Clark's spot/rebuild of the Porsche/Guess stores. The hint is that it is the same broker as Clark's. Based on this list - I'm assuming it will be either Sephora, Uniqlo or Victoria's Secret. I actually think Uniqlo is the least likely of the above, with Victoria's Secret being the most likely as they've opened up gigantic stores in Montreal and Vancouver recently. Sephora is known to be moving to a bigger spot as well - however, I had (perhaps incorrectly) thought it was the Manulife Centre.

Just how big is the old Jacob store, anyway? That's pretty much the only area Sephora CAN go into.

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about Loblaws looking to build a presence in the Bay Bloor area? The area is underserved, the existing grocers are too small given the density that is coming in. For example - under the proposed Bloor One or Holts redevelopments?

Skeezix

Member Bio
Reaction score
Loblaws does has a presence in the Bay Bloor area with the Bloor Street Market at the Manulife Centre at Bay and Bloor. It can easily be forgotten, though, being smallish and located on the concourse level. Unclear if changes to the Manulife Centre would also allow for any expansions to this store (probably not).

The Loblaws banner itself hasn't had a presence in this neighbourhood since the closure of the Loblaws at Yonge and Yorkville. That was, what, 12 years ago? Actually longer perhaps, because after Loblaws sold it to Great Gulf the building was used for a year or two by Solutions.

prosperegal

Member Bio
Reaction score

Could be Ann Taylor. There's no flagship store yet.

prosperegal

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like Personal Edge at the Holt Renfrew Centre is closing. I didn't even know they were.

GKW

Member Bio
Reaction score

Heard from a friend who works in the TD building next door that it will be Sephora

ILuvTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if this news was already posted, but Hazelton Lanes is getting renamed.

Even more interesting was the below quote in the article:

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2016/1/hazelton-lanes?platform=hootsuite

First Capital Realty also has big plans for the surrounding neighbourhood, including adding more luxury retail to the mix. Last year, it purchased several neighbouring retail properties, including 80-100, 102-104, 106-108, and 136-138 Yorkville Avenue. First Capital currently owns about 80% of the north side of Yorkville Avenue between Hazelton Avenue and Bellair Street and last year, we reportedthat the landlord would like to eventually own much of the commercial space on both Yorkville Avenue and Cumberland Street. So far, Chanel is a confirmed tenant in 2017 for an 8,400 square foot retail space currently occupied by Teatro Verde at 98 Yorkville Avenue (Teatro Verde will move into the former Hazelton Lanes mall) and several other luxury brands have shown interest in adjacent street-front properties.

If this is true and one landlord will own most of the space in Yorkville then I think it is great news and will do a lot to get better brands into the area.

vatche

Member Bio
Reaction score
that's one of the reasons why yorkdale was able to attract the brands by giving them exactly what they wanted which bloor and Yorkville could not

ILuvTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
that's one of the reasons why yorkdale was able to attract the brands by giving them exactly what they wanted which bloor and Yorkville could not

Makes sense. The only problem that remains is the lack of single landlord on Bloor itself. If the current landlords would be willing to work together to accommodate retailers it would do so much for the street.