Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Well, the island park is clearly a unique asset to Toronto and I think we should make it is as accessible to the public as possible.

I agree with this.

If they build a tunnel to the airport, I think it would be a very good idea to keep on digging until it comes out at Hanlan's point. This would allow the general public, both pedestrians and bicyclists, to use it to access the island park. It would also reduce the crowds on the ferries from the Bay Street dock, increasing the enjoyment of those who want to take the ferry.

They could even rent bicycles at the airport to people who are waiting for connecting flights so that they could visit the park.

The other thing about a tunnel that long is security... how many people would feel safe walking through an 800 m tunnel by themselves at night?

The other thing about a tunnel that long is security... how many people would feel safe walking through an 800 m tunnel by themselves at night?

Not to mention it goes under a runway maintained directly by the feds with US flights. I can only imagine some ditz in the US will request (with strings and strong arming) that all persons using the tunnel under the runway go through metal/bomb detectors.

Not to mention it goes under a runway maintained directly by the feds with US flights. I can only imagine some ditz in the US will request (with strings and strong arming) that all persons using the tunnel under the runway go through metal/bomb detectors.

Get Smiths Detection to design the tunnel so that the whole thing is a metal detector.....maybe even turn it into a massive MRI machine too so that we are fully checked out (medically) as we move through the tunnel...saving the health ministry millions along the way!

Get Smiths Detection to design the tunnel so that the whole thing is a metal detector.....maybe even turn it into a massive MRI machine too so that we are fully checked out (medically) as we move through the tunnel...saving the health ministry millions along the way!

lol nice!

Well who says it has to be some Damp concrete Hell Hole.

We could make it like this for to suit the clientele

98188477_ecd817c5ed.jpg

well I try to find the really nice part of the Path near the Old Scotia Bank Building but I used the Moscow Subway.

Last edited:

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. I am sure you've seen the aircraft taxi overpasses at many US airport. Those are much more of a security threat than a tunnel. And who says it has to cut directly under the airport. It could skirt the perimeter till it get's past the airport.

And when this 800 meter long array of MRI-strength supermagnets lifts you off your feet by your fillings and turns you into railgun ammo, you'll be able to reach the end of the tunnel in no time! :D

And when this 800 meter long array of MRI-strength supermagnets lifts you off your feet by your fillings and turns you into railgun ammo, you'll be able to reach the end of the tunnel in no time! :D

For once we would have invented a transportation technology instead of copying from around the world!!!....Toronto brings you Pedestrian MagLev

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. I am sure you've seen the aircraft taxi overpasses at many US airport. Those are much more of a security threat than a tunnel. And who says it has to cut directly under the airport. It could skirt the perimeter till it get's past the airport.

I have but they would all have been grandfathered. I haven't seen anything like that built in the last 8 years. I would like to think it wouldn't be an issue but I have doubts that those interested in the charade of security won't get involved in a new proposal.

The "Toronto Port Authority" Annual Meeting is this morning.
the Annual Meeting of the Toronto Port Authority will be held at The Fairmont Royal York Hotel in the Upper Canada Room located at 100 Front Street West, Toronto, Ontario on Thursday, September 3, 2009 commencing at 9:30 a.m. This meeting is open to the public.

Apparently, one topic for discussion is a plan to rename the airport "Billy Bishop Airport". Even though there is already a Billy Bishop airport in Owen Sound.

Personally, I kind of liked the original name "Port George VI Airfield".

The Star decided, as well, to stir the pot this morning by recommending that they allow jets at the island.

Supposing that they allowed people to land jets at the island, what sorts of jets are there that can use a 4000' runway? Can business jets use such a short runway? Or maybe BAe-146s?

Back