Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

^ Nice. This has been the one hole in their service...namely that you can't get all the amenities that you have at the Island in their other destinations. They should build lounges in Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax at least.

I'm not sure what they'll use it for unless they plan to start offering service from Pearson because they have some sort of partnership with another airline in the works. They do use Pearson when the weather is too poor at the Island, but they fly out of Landmark and passengers never set foot in the facilities there unless they land at Pearson and decide to take a cab from there.

I'll ask my friends at porter to see what they know. They hadn't mentioned anything about it last time I talked to them.

^ The lounge is in Ottawa. How is Pearson relevant? I would assume that the lounge would be used by YTZ and YHZ bound passengers originating from Ottawa.

oops, for some reason I didn't see "ottawa" and thought i saw "pearson". Don't mind me, just ignore what I said.

I thought porter would be cheap to fly to New York, but its like 500 dollars each way, meanwhile jetblue from buffalo is only 175 eachway. The extra drive is worth it. (living in oakville)

When are you booking?
If you a book the week of the flight you're looking for, you're more than likely going to get their $500+ freedom fares. They gouge because business people are more likely to book last minute. If you look to book your flight more in advance, I've found them on their site for $118 each way and that's for the end of August.

When are you booking?

Flew Porter to NY and back, 2 people, for under $600. Air Canada had a slightly higher fare at the time though in retrospect the Newark train was $80 CDN for the round trip to Penn.

Porter Toasts Steamwhistle Brewing

Porter Toasts Steamwhistle Brewing

TORONTO/August 13, 2009 – Porter Airlines and Steam Whistle Brewing are toasting a new relationship that will see Steam Whistle’s Premium Pilsner served as part of Porter’s complimentary onboard menu. Beer will be served from 500 ml cans as an introductory promotion beginning this week.

Personally, I have trouble making it through the meal and a regular can of Stella on the Toronto-Ottawa flight. 500 ml might be a bit much for me on a short flight. It might be ok for a Quebec or Thunder Bay flight though.

They had Stella and Keiths on my flight on Tuesday afternoon.

Both my flights to Ottawa in the morning on Tuesday and back to Toronto at 6pm were pretty much full. Air Canada flights from Ottawa to Toronto in the afternoon were mostly cancelled, up to an hour late leaving or, in one case, took 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to Toronto. ( Air Canada 453 )

The airline currently serves Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Thunder Bay, Quebec City, Halifax, New York (Newark) and Chicago (Midway), with seasonal flights to Mt. Tremblant. Flights to Boston and St. John’s, N.L., begin Sept. 14, and Oct. 5, respectively. Porter plans to fly to at least 17 short-haul Canadian and U.S. destinations.
That would be 11 destinations as of October 5th.

Looking here, it seems that the next two planes (C-FLQP and C-FLQQ) are just about ready for delivery, which should be planes 14 and 15 I think. Have they received C-FLQO yet?

EDIT: I see that C-FLQO was spotted at YZD on 21 Aug.

Last edited:
Tunnel to island airport by 2011?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/685512

The Toronto Port Authority is moving ahead with plans to build a pedestrian tunnel under the lake to the island airport.

Hoping to tap into government stimulus cash it has requested for the $38 million project, the Port Authority is issuing a formal request for proposals today to conduct an environmental assessment, the first step to any major construction project.

Ottawa has not indicated whether it would approve the request, but it does meet the rules for federal infrastructure funding, said Port Authority chairman Mark McQueen.

"We do not have a formal approval, but you certainly have to have your ducks lined up, given the times of March 2011 (for completion)," he said, referring to the date by which projects funded by the federal infrastructure plan must be finished.

But any plan to build an underground passageway is sure to draw the ire of Mayor David Miller, who campaigned in 2003 to kill a proposed bridge, arguing the facility should be kept as a sleepy commuter airport.

Miller's on vacation, but earlier this month he credited former mayor and alderman Sam McBride for helping to kill such a tunnel in the 1930s. "It's amazing how it keeps coming back," Miller said.

He pointed out that the city named a Toronto Island ferry the Sam McBride, which has been plying Toronto harbour since 1939.

The tunnel would be 8 metres wide, 4 metres high and outfitted with moving sidewalks for passengers of upstart Porter Airlines, which began flying from the airport in 2006.

Under the rules for infrastructure funding, federal dollars may represent only 50 per cent of the total cost of a funded project, which in this case would be $19 million.

Responses by potential contractors are due within three weeks, and the environmental assessment could take about four months. Engineers estimate a tunnel could be built in a year.

The port authority is prepared to foot $7 million, leaving it short $12 million – but it is unclear whether Queen's Park would be prepared to pay the remainder.

McQueen said Ontario's portion of stimulus dollars for Toronto may already be tied up in the $417 million the province promised to the city in June, to help it purchase new streetcars from Bombardier.

"We've applied to the province for $12 million," he said. "We've certainly made the case that this is important for the city and the GTA."

McQueen added that, hopefully, the port authority will know whether it qualifies for funding by the time the responses from potential contractors for the environment assessment are in.

A public opinion poll commissioned by the port authority and conducted in early July showed 62 per cent of Torontonians support the construction of a pedestrian tunnel with 31 per cent opposing.

Porter Airlines has slowly expanded to other cities in Canada and the U.S., with flights to Boston and St. John's set to begin this fall.

In June, 70,000 passengers used the airport, and revenues are up with the increased traffic.

The tunnel could encourage more traffic and result in more daily flights. Now, passengers must take a 90-second ferry ride to access the airport. In 2006, the port authority paid $4.5 million for a new 150-seat ferry. This year, it ordered a $5 million backup ferry expected to be delivered in December.

McQueen said the port authority would not need signoff from the city to build the tunnel, saying it's permitted under the existing three-government agreement that governs the airport.

Miller, however, has emphasized the need to protect the island's natural potential rather than facilitate one private business.

"We don't need a busy commercial airport downtown. We have a busy commercial airport at Pearson that, by international standards, is right in the city, it's right adjacent to it," Miller said this month. He added the federal government should respect the wishes of Torontonians.

"Every other thing we're doing in partnership with Ottawa and Queen's Park is about revitalizing the waterfront," he said, noting residents have made their views clear by twice voting for a mayor opposed to expanding the island airport.

McQueen emphasized the benefits of a tunnel, including reducing carbon emissions and ensuring quick access to the mainland.

I really hope that tunnel gets built.

A friend and my GF both tried Porter recently at two different times. They both loved it. The only part that was a bit annoying for them was the delay due to waiting for the ferry.

I fly Porter almost exclusively. Have flown to Ottawa and back (for work) at least 10 times in the past few years. Recently flew Porter to Quebec City, Montreal, and Newark. I am looking forward to their Boston run openning soon.

As for the tunnel, I am not a fan of this proposal. I'd rather a transit-only bridge (or tunnel) that makes allowances for emergency vehicles to cross to the Airport from the mainland. The tunnel proposal seems half measured.

I fly Porter almost exclusively. Have flown to Ottawa and back (for work) at least 10 times in the past few years. Recently flew Porter to Quebec City, Montreal, and Newark. I am looking forward to their Boston run openning soon.

As for the tunnel, I am not a fan of this proposal. I'd rather a transit-only bridge (or tunnel) that makes allowances for emergency vehicles to cross to the Airport from the mainland. The tunnel proposal seems half measured.
I too would prefer a bridge, but that idea seems to be dead and buried. Porter was paid specifically not to build a bridge. I wonder if this is Porter's way of getting out of the deal through a technicality. ;)

Back