Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

A bridge would have made more sense. The coolest would have been to somehow build the terminal straddling the channel, with a check in area on the mainland connected via a pedbridge to the aircraft piers.

Given the circumstances though, a tunnel will work. It will also probably preempt aesthetic concerns by local NIMBYs.

I wonder if ferry service to the Island's could be reduced by placing a bus (or, if you must, tram) station at the airport which would shuttle people across the islands. Just have it cross the runway like in Gibraltar.

Given the circumstances though, a tunnel will work. It will also probably preempt aesthetic concerns by local NIMBYs.

The opposition to the bridge has never been on aesthetic grounds. It was opposed due to the fact that it would condone and even support increased traffic at the airport.

I wonder if ferry service to the Island's could be reduced by placing a bus (or, if you must, tram) station at the airport which would shuttle people across the islands. Just have it cross the runway like in Gibraltar.

From what I've read, this is a less-than-ideal situation, and they are planning on removing this. In particular, this would make security clearance much more difficult to enforce, something that would make Porter's operation of flights to the US more difficult.

The opposition to the bridge has never been on aesthetic grounds. It was opposed due to the fact that it would condone and even support increased traffic at the airport.

"Preemptive" implies preventing something that has yet to occur. I think it is likely that NIMBYs, realizing their demagoguery elsewhere had failed, would turn to just complaining about any bridge on aesthetic grounds.

From what I've read, this is a less-than-ideal situation, and they are planning on removing this. In particular, this would make security clearance much more difficult to enforce, something that would make Porter's operation of flights to the US more difficult.

How can they remove it when it doesn't even exist yet? And how would this effect security clearance? Are people going to start jumping out of moving buses and onto taxiing turboprops?

A bridge would have made more sense. The coolest would have been to somehow build the terminal straddling the channel, with a check in area on the mainland connected via a pedbridge to the aircraft piers.

That's a great photo!!! Tell do you know if it is a stitched photo? It looks like those planes are taking off at extremely close intervals.

I think it is, the author on wikimedia refers to it as a composite image of a monarch jet. I didn't notice it until you asked, but I suppose it is a bit odd that 5 identical jets are in some form of takeoff on a single runway.

"Preemptive" implies preventing something that has yet to occur. I think it is likely that NIMBYs, realizing their demagoguery elsewhere had failed, would turn to just complaining about any bridge on aesthetic grounds.

Am I a NIMBY for opposing a bridge or tunnel to the island airport?

Not necessarily, but regardless of whether or not you are, there are many NIMBY's who simply resent YTZ on the grounds that it makes their lake shore condos marginally less pristine, which is NIMBYism.

The Port Authority seems willing to accomadate some sort of service, as there poll assumed that the tunnel could mean eliminating $2.5 million worth of winter ferry service.
I'd like to read you some statements about the proposed pedestrian tunnel. For
each, please tell me if it makes you much more supportive, somewhat more supportive,
somewhat more opposed, much more opposed, or has no impact upon your support or
opposition to building this pedestrian tunnel to the Toronto City Centre Airport. How
about - The tunnel would save the City of Toronto around $2.5 million that it currently
spends each winter on ferry services for the permanent residents of the Toronto Islands?
Total More .............................................................................................................61%
Much More Supportive.........................................................................................38%
Somewhat More Supportive..................................................................................24%
No Impact ..............................................................................................................17%
Total Less ...............................................................................................................16%
Somewhat More Opposed......................................................................................6%
Much More Opposed ...........................................................................................10%
Don't Know..............................................................................................................5%
Refused ....................................................................................................................1%
N Size ..................................................................................................................... 500
Source

so instead of a winter ferry right to the island communitites, they are going to run a bus (in the "car-free" islands) across the airport somehow and all the way to the other end of the island?

Not necessarily, but regardless of whether or not you are, there are many NIMBY's who simply resent YTZ on the grounds that it makes their lake shore condos marginally less pristine, which is NIMBYism.

Although I don't live there, I guess the statement above would make me (gasp!) a NIMBY! I still oppose the Island being used as an airport.

On an unrelated matter, there was a post in this or another Porter related thread indicating that flights do not come in late at night, which is absolutely untrue. I see aircraft come in for a landing around 1 and 2am on a fairly regular basis.

They should put the money towards more important plans. Like speeding up the airport train or DRL development. It's pretty embarrassing to want to be "world class" when we don't even have the infrastructure. Most big cities have airport trains that bring people directly to the city. We have to take buses... To international people we must seem really cheap. We can't afford to build trains, that's why we have buses and taxis to take you into town.

On an unrelated matter, there was a post in this or another Porter related thread indicating that flights do not come in late at night, which is absolutely untrue. I see aircraft come in for a landing around 1 and 2am on a fairly regular basis.

I was just sitting on my balcony discussing an episode of True Blood that my roommate and I just watched on the PVR and in came a plane for landing at the Island Airport. At 4:20am.

Back